Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2022, 10:12 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Fine. That's the UK, where hunting has historically been.....constrained....for all but the upper classes.

Are they still "the Queen's deer"?

For comparison, in all of the UK, a country of 54 million, there are around 625,000 hunters. In Pennsylvania, a state with just under 13 million people, there are 931,000 licensed hunters and a large number of people who don't need a license as they hunt only on their own property.

Even Maryland, where I live now and a state that discourages hunting, has 119,000 hunters.

https://face.eu/sites/default/files/uk.en_.2010_0.pdf
The average person in Britain has no need to go out and hunt animals.

The hunting of large mammals is heavily regulated and it's mainly professional game keepers and marksmen than cull deer and large mammals rather than the so called upper classes.

Farmers often shoot vermin with their shotguns.

Game bird shooting is also a rural activity and involves seasons, and it does tend to involve land owners and game laws relating to seasons.

It should also be noted that you have a right to roam in the UK, and there are lots of public rights of way and walks, whilst trespass is generally a civil offence in the UK, unlike the US where it is criminal.

As for the Queens' Deer, they are the herd of 5,000 deer in Windsor Great Park, however there are deer herds across the UK, with a total population of over 2 million.

London has several deer parks at Richmond, Bushy, Greenwich etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 10:17 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The hunting of large mammals is heavily regulated and it's mainly professional game keepers and marksmen than cull deer and large mammals rather than the so called upper classes.

Game bird shooting is also a rural activity and involves seasons, and it does tend to involve land owners and game laws relating to seasons.

It should also be noted that you have a right to roam in the UK, and there are lots of public rights of way and walks, whilst trespass is generally a civil offence in the UK, unlike the US where it is criminal.

As for the Queens' Deer, they are the herd of 5,000 deer in Windsor Great Park, however there are deer herds across the UK, with a total population of over 2 million.

You do realize that one reason that hunting is a "thing" in the US is because the colonists had to do it to feed themselves, although that's generally not the case today. One of the reasons they became colonists is due to what you outlined above.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:19 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
You do realize that one reason that hunting is a "thing" in the US is because the colonists had to do it to feed themselves, although that's generally not the case today. .................
Well, that depends.

I have a few friends who in addition to using food banks, keep food on the table by hunting.

FURTHER, that can toss an interesting aspect into what is a need. One might argue that there is no need to hunt today (leaving out wet lands protection from this conversation) because the government can provide the food. Yet, among the Inuit of Greenland, as they are shifted from seal hunting over the decades to a more western diet, their diabetes increased. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...51865421000363

Like someone once said, the most feared words can be "I'm from the government; I'm here to help.".

Old 01-11-2022, 10:23 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, that depends.

I have a few friends who in addition to using food banks, keep food on the table by hunting.
So do I, but generally that's not the case. If it were I'd have starved to death years ago. Although, if I had to hunt to eat my techniques and practices would likely change.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:26 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
As a non-gun owner I fully support 2A out of principle. As long as the background checks are done properly I have no issue. I can also see states requiring gun training test or something to purchase, similar to a driver's test when you get a license, but that is as far as the reasonable restrictions can go in my opinion.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:28 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
So do I, but generally that's not the case. If it were I'd have starved to death years ago. Although, if I had to hunt to eat my techniques and practices would likely change.
Well, at least one couple I know heavily pushes the right to hunt on one's own homestead.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:31 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
You do realize that one reason that hunting is a "thing" in the US is because the colonists had to do it to feed themselves, although that's generally not the case today. One of the reasons they became colonists is due to what you outlined above.
Hunting in Britain goes back thousands of years, indeed it was the Romans who introduced hunting with dogs.

Hunting was no doubt prevalent throughout the centuries, however most modern countries and people have no need to hunt animals.

As for guns, if you want to target shoot join a gun club, want to shoot arrows then join an archery club and shoot at targets and want to blast something with a shotgun there are plenty of clay pigeon shooting centres in the UK.

In terms of deer, it's not really about hunting, it's about culling and herd management, and Britain now has the largest deer population in over 1,000 years, with Deer a common site in parts of major cities including parts of London with it's vast deer parks and greenery.

As for game bird shooting, again it is about land management and managing the flocks of birds.

Whilst vermin and feral birds, also needs to be controlled.

There has been some discussion as to whether this should include London's growing Ring-necked Parakeet population, however it has bow been decided that they should not be culled. A Europe-wide count found 85,220 wild Rose-ringed parakeets in 10 European countries, of which over 31,000 or a third were in the UK, with most being in parts of London.

So thankfully no dead parrots, and it's nice to see parrots in the parks and greenery of the city.

Feral parakeets in Great Britain - Wikipedia

The culling and control of animals is usually carried out by land owners, farmers, gamekeepers, local authorities and national parks and is usually out of necessity rather than anything else. It's also taken very seriously and those involved are often professionals with a lot of knowledge.

There's no joy in killing majestic and magnificent animals.

British deer guide: how to identify and best places to see - Countryfile

The Best Parks In London To See Deer

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-11-2022 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-11-2022, 11:47 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
It is such a win to be rid of this guy. He'll never admit it but maybe the opprobrium he suffered on social media stung his butt hurt psyche enough even in small way that tipped the scales and encouraged him to gtfo. I like Mexico and Mexicans and have visited maybe 30 - 40 times over my life. I honestly feel bad that they are going to host this socially clumsy gringo.
You've been to Mexico that many times and don't know that "gringo" is a disparaging word for Americans only? Not Germans, not Brits, and not Canadians.

May this be your lesson today in understanding a different culture. Chinga Madre!

Old 01-11-2022, 12:08 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

If we did not hunt deer in the US, they would become extremely over populated and many would die of starvation. And hundreds more people would die in deer/car collisions. We even have a bow season where you can only hunt with bows. It takes some real skill to take a deer down with a bow.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:28 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Good thing no one told Warren Buffet that one can't get rich in Nebraska.
Warren Buffett is an investor. You can buy stock from anywhere. The vast majority of Nebraskans would need to move to another state to seek their fortune. To Wall Street, to Silicon Valley, to Hollywood, whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I see the same thing happening in Canada. Immigrants, or often the first generation, are exceptional entrepreneurs. I am an immigrant, my mother was a WW2 refugee and my children first generation citizens. We live well. I see Canadians (and Americans) whine and sniffle about there is no room for advancements. Yet immigrants come from many places, seize the opportunities, and often leave the ones who were born and raised in both countries behind.

43% of Fortune 500 companies are founded by immigrants or the first generation. In the United States, where 13.7% of the population is foreign-born, immigrants represent 20.2% of the self-employed workforce and 25% of startup founders.
Most of those immigrants were educated in Western universities. Often on Western-funded scholarships. As you know, most of the leaders or developing countries, or their children, or the children of rich elites, all go to Western Universities. That has been a thing since the British Empire. Rhodes scholarships and that sort of thing.

They're not entrepreneurs because they're immigrants. They're immigrants because they're entrepreneurs, and this is where the money is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies