Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 04:12 PM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Everyone I know who has gotten Covid lately is vaxxed/boosted----and I know a lot of people with Covid. The NY metro area is SATURATED with it and we are boosted up the wazoo, masked, and paranoid.

Requiring 'passports' to prove vax status when vaccinated people are spreading the virus at such high rates is preposterous.

Even more preposterous are business owners embracing this nonsense. What else should the government make them do? Mandatory drug tests? Hepatitis, TB, and flu screenings? Temp checks? Metal detectors? How about Nutrition Czars making sure they don't serve unhealthy food, or portion sizes that are too large? And better nix the alcohol.

If it saves just one life....
This is the thing. At this point, shutting things down and all the mandates etc. is just causing damage to society.

People are having their businesses fail, lost wages, partial or no employment and not surprisingly we are seeing surges in crime, drug\alcohol abuse, overdoses etc.

At this point, just open things up and let those that want to vaxx and those that don't just go their merry way and live with the outcomes.

You cannot mandate folks so this is as good as it gets and we as a country cannot stay restricted on and off for another 1,2,5, 10 years as new variants emerge.

Time to just lift all restrictions and let the chips fall where they may. This BS has gotten way too political, time to move on to making it just a personal health decision.

P.S. I got vaxxed, got covid (my vaxx was the least effective J&J) and then boosted. So, while I would encourage people to vaccinate I'm against mandates and any sort of business restrictions, we are literally doing more damage at this point fighting covid than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 04:18 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is the thing. At this point, shutting things down and all the mandates etc. is just causing damage to society.

People are having their businesses fail, lost wages, partial or no employment and not surprisingly we are seeing surges in crime, drug\alcohol abuse, overdoses etc.

At this point, just open things up and let those that want to vaxx and those that don't just go their merry way and live with the outcomes.

You cannot mandate folks so this is as good as it gets and we as a country cannot stay restricted on and off for another 1,2,5, 10 years as new variants emerge.

Time to just lift all restrictions and let the chips fall where they may. This BS has gotten way too political, time to move on to making it just a personal health decision.

P.S. I got vaxxed, got covid (my vaxx was the least effective J&J) and then boosted. So, while I would encourage people to vaccinate I'm against mandates and any sort of business restrictions, we are literally doing more damage at this point fighting covid than not.

I agree. All of the mandates/restrictions need to go--- especially these urban vax passports--because they are too harmful to society.

I'm seriously concerned about the SCOTUS decision. If they allow the OSHA mandates, we will have worker shortages and disruptions that will destroy this country in ways we can't even imagine. I'm hoping they make the right decision.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:50 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post

I agree. All of the mandates/restrictions need to go--- especially these urban vax passports--because they are too harmful to society.

I'm seriously concerned about the SCOTUS decision. If they allow the OSHA mandates, we will have worker shortages and disruptions that will destroy this country in ways we can't even imagine. I'm hoping they make the right decision.
I'm also concerned about this. I don't know how things are there in NY, but here in NJ things are getting rough. Grocery store today looked like some kind of picture out of Venezuela; almost every section of the store had MAJOR empty shelves. I'm not talking about, for example, Progresso soups being gone because they were on sale. I'm talking maybe half a dozen store-brand soups in the entire section.

Produce section looked like they had cleared out ahead of a big remodel job - except they aren't remodeling. There were only two containers of half and half. I luckily got one of the last three bags of coffee filters. (Reminding myself to dig the percolating coffee pot out.) It was weird and kind of surreal.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:58 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,878,692 times
Vaccinated....NOT tested, which means you could be dining next to an infected vaccinated person.

Sure - but you are misreading the intent here as 100% prevention. It's not. The intent is simply to reduce spread to something less than it is now. If everyone in the restaurant is vaccinated - statistically speaking, there is less of a chance of a contagious person. Not zero. It's never zero. But it's less. That's all there is to it.

For those of you fighting this - this policy is already in place lots and lots and lots of places. Sorry. Complain all ya want, but it will change nothing.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:03 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
My list of places to never travel to again keeps getting longer. Thanks for the update.
I'm fairly certain DC was already on my list before they went off the deep end.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:03 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,180,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yep. Exactly right. I have no desire to visit paranoid areas or businesses. Guess I'll be living solo out in the middle of the desert if this nonsense keeps going. So be it. At least the rattlesnakes won't ask for papers.
I thought democrats already were asking for papers?

Old 01-09-2022, 09:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
It's been in place for three weeks here now, and some businesses are required to ask for vaccine passes, while other types of businesses have the discretion to do so.

My observation is that the discretionary business tend not to ask for them, and those that do seem to be reducing in number due to loss of business from non vaxxed, and boycott from a sizeable percentage of vaxxed.

If things ever get back to normal. I'll certainly remember those businesses that demanded papers even though there was no requirement for them to do so - they won't be getting my patronage, unless there is a change of ownership.

Last edited by Joe90; 01-09-2022 at 09:30 PM..

Old 01-09-2022, 09:29 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I cannot imagine anyone being "mad" that they are not being asked to show their papers when engaging in a simple act of dining or patronizing any business, given that it is done uniformly and no one is expected to do so.

Why should businesses in VA be expected to abide by edicts from the DC mayor? Seems like they'd be killing their own business to do so. Again, DC is a cesspool of humanity. If anything, they should be taking a lead from the surrounding states of VA and MD.

https://wtop.com/dc/2022/01/dc-resta...f-vaccination/
If you are vaccinated then it's just not a big deal to show proof. It's not like you have to carry your vax card on you.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:37 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,249,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If you are vaccinated then it's just not a big deal to show proof. It's not like you have to carry your vax card on you.
It is ABSOLUTELY a big deal. When the government mandates or encourages the marginalization of ANY segment of society for what 'they' deem the greater good......it has historically ALWAYS led to a very dark place.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” - George Santayana

Old 01-09-2022, 09:39 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
It is ABSOLUTELY a big deal. When the government mandates or encourages the marginalization of ANY segment of society for what 'they' deem the greater good......it has historically ALWAYS led to a very dark place.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” - George Santayana
Kids have to show proof of their vaccinations before they enter school. What's the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies