Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 12:02 AM

27,191 posts, read 15,371,712 times

Advertisements

Omicron poses a conundrum: Stay home or work sick?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthca...e-or-work-sick

"As the raging omicron variant of COVID-19 infects workers across the nation, millions of those whose jobs don't provide paid sick days are having to choose between their health and their paycheck."

The vaccinated won't be required to test weekly per Biden's mandate.
Guess who the "going to work sick" will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 12:18 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times
Too much unwarranted fear is controlling people and the nation over this. Quit fearing that coming down with COVID-19 will make you so sick that you will have to go to the hospital, because quite likely that won't be the case. My friend in her early 60s only said it was mainly the headaches from being sick with it and was back to work in a week. The only people who should be concerned over covid are mainly unhealthy retired people with already one foot in the grave.

Hopefully, the Supreme Court will also see too much senseless fear mainly caused by the government and the media saying amen to the government is going on and will deny Biden's covid vaccine mandate.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Too much unwarranted fear is controlling people and the nation over this. Quit fearing that coming down with COVID-19 will make you so sick that you will have to go to the hospital, because quite likely that won't be the case. My friend in her early 60s only said it was mainly the headaches from being sick with it and was back to work in a week. The only people who should be concerned over covid are mainly unhealthy retired people with already one foot in the grave.

Hopefully, the Supreme Court will also see too much senseless fear mainly caused by the government and the media saying amen to the government is going on and will deny Biden's covid vaccine mandate.
Right you are.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:58 AM

25,909 posts, read 12,935,480 times
I had it, & it only lasts 2 days...less than a mild cold.

If everyone who gets it stays home, our economy will be decimated, and the shortages will persist.

Mask up, keep a safe distance if possible, & punch the clock.

The only exceptions would be, if there's no possible way to distance, or if you can work from home just as effectively.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:10 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,623,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I had it, & it only lasts 2 days...less than a mild cold.

If everyone who gets it stays home, our economy will be decimated, and the shortages will persist.

Mask up, keep a safe distance if possible, & punch the clock.

The only exceptions would be, if there's no possible way to distance, or if you can work from home just as effectively.
Depends on the person. Deaths are creeping up again. They know A LOT more about the treatment end now and I doubt we get a repeat of Mar 2020 when doctors were shooting blind.

Im getting to the cynical point of X people are going to die. We can have them die in 3 months or 1 year but we are not going to change the number X, whatever that is. I hate being at that point.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:16 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,603,481 times
lol - way back when I had a jay-oh-bee, I saw the data for employee sick time. Amazingly, for lots of folks, as soon as the accumulated 8 hours of sick time, guess what, they called in sick. And of course, then when they really did get sick, they drug their sorry a$$es into work and spread the germs around.

I doubt if Covid has changed that.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:00 AM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 22 days ago)

601 posts, read 275,016 times
Eh... ignore this comment if too abstract, but I'm reminded of complex systems, which can have an equilibrium or balance point. You can fiddle around with the params trying to make it better, some new things go out of whack, and after all the trouble - the old equilibrium turned out to be the best.

(There's also the concept of multiple points of stable equilibria; with a large effort, you can move to a new balance point. No guarantee that the new balance point is better than the previous one though. Well if the system is complex, then most likely some things will be better, and some will be worse, and it wouldn't be appropriate to describe the whole as simply better or worse).

Old 01-10-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
lol - way back when I had a jay-oh-bee, I saw the data for employee sick time. Amazingly, for lots of folks, as soon as the accumulated 8 hours of sick time, guess what, they called in sick. And of course, then when they really did get sick, they drug their sorry a$$es into work and spread the germs around.

I doubt if Covid has changed that.
Well for now, as of today, the unvaccinated will have to show that they have been tested and are negative to be able to go into work.
The vaccinated do not.
That makes for one group able to go to work sick.

Unintended consequences.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:24 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,783,232 times
If we all turned off the TV we would not even know that omicron was here. We’d think it was a cold or a flu and those of us with the cold version would got to work and school. I wish everyone had their tv turned off and we could do this.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:26 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,008,418 times
A friend of mine, a cashier who works at the largest grocery chain in Florida, told me that she is expected to report to work even if she has cold or flu symptoms and was told by management not to tell anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies