Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 01:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,709,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
They are not elected at the same time. State and Federal Elections are held in even years, local elections are held in odd years.
Ooo you may be right. I was confusing my state reps with local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is no different than early voting at a vote center (where I live at least). You go in, give them your ID, sign the log, and then they pull up your record and print out the ballot for the relevant elections that apply to you (bonds, school board etc). You fill in the spaces to vote, feed it into the tabulator, and voila!. Tech. Almost everyone here, though, votes by mail and those ballots are already "personalized". IDK if NY does that. Probably not. The eastern US does not seem to embrace mail voting like the west does.
No Voter ID here, so you do not have to present id to get the ballot. You just show up, say your name, and they give you the ballot. Most of the time you don't even have to say your name, they just tell you to look for your name and sign in yourself.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:59 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
No Voter ID here, so you do not have to present id to get the ballot. You just show up, say your name, and they give you the ballot.
Bring in busloads of Republicans from other states then. Play by the Dem rules.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
You have to be registered first though. If you can get mass registered to vote in NY from China (or somehow get on the voter rolls) it would work and I think would technically be completely legal if you spend more than 30 days in NYC. I highly doubt though as a foreigner you'd care about legality, since you can just vote and move back to your country.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:04 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Great idea!!! I'll bet they never thought of that?

Old 01-10-2022, 02:05 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Local Elections are not on the same ballot as national or even state ones.
You would be wrong if you're talking everywhere.

In Maryland all offices up for election are on the same ballot. Next year, where I am, will be US House, Senator, State Senate, State House of Delegates, County Commissioners, Sheriff, State's Attorney, County Treasurer, County Register of Wills, Clerk of Courts, Orphan's Court Judges and any municipal elections being held.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

In Maryland all offices up for election are on the same ballot. Next year, where I am, will be US House, Senator, State Senate, State House of Delegates, County Commissioners, Sheriff, State's Attorney, County Treasurer, County Register of Wills, Clerk of Courts, Orphan's Court Judges and any municipal elections being held.
I think he is right with NY though. I remember Fed and State being on the same ballot, but local are on a different one.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Great idea!!! I'll bet they never thought of that?
I think it would just be too expensive/impractical to accomplish with foreigners legally.
You would have to book a two way flight for each person into NYC a month before election day on legal visas. I think if CCP (or someone else) wanted to sway a local election legally and they are willing to spend like a million dollars, they could certainly do so in theory, especially since local elections in NYC have extremely low turnout (I think one of the lowest in the country or something).

Alternatively, if you do not care about the legality, you'd have to have multiple people show up and cast multiple votes. Technically you would be able to get away with it initially at least, unless they actually check or conduct an audit after the election.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:58 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I'm referring to NY. For example last November in NYC the elections were for Mayor, city council, Borough President, etc. Where I am in Nassau County, it was for County Exec, County Legislature, Town Supervisor, Town clerk, etc. There were no Federal or State level races.

This year we will have races for Federal and statewide positions, such as Congress, Senate, Governor, State AG, State Senate, State Assembly, etc, but there will be no local elections.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:08 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
I'm referring to NY. For example last November in NYC the elections were for Mayor, city council, Borough President, etc. Where I am in Nassau County, it was for County Exec, County Legislature, Town Supervisor, Town clerk, etc. There were no Federal or State level races.

This year we will have races for Federal and statewide positions, such as Congress, Senate, Governor, State AG, State Senate, State Assembly, etc, but there will be no local elections.
I figured, but this is in the general Politics section and you know there will be those on both sides who won't get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies