Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 02:20 PM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So, I went to the store again today. At check out, the checker informed me that we ARE getting some weather coming at us. Apparently, on Sunday, we are all going to get some ice. Maybe a dusting of snow, but anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" of ice. Having lived in Maine, it means little to me, but these people can't drive as it is on bright, clear, sunny days...so, who knows what will happen.

And they are acting like the apocalypse is coming and that they won't survive the day unless they clear out all the grocery stores.

So, last night wasn't about issues with the supply chain, it was about how people in this area live to panic over anything they can possibly panic about. Covid, gas line 'hacked' meaning gas was not in abundance for about 12 days, and a little bit of ice. On a Sunday. When most people stay home, anyway.

What are these people going to do during a real catastrophe. They'll probably lose their minds.

It still stands that many stores do have a lot of empty shelves, and the restocking takes up to 3 weeks in some of them, but last night's chicken section wipe out, was because of the panicky people where I live.

Wanted to clarify that now that I know why it happened.
The MSM has people so panic'd that every storm..snow, rain, is "the big one".

I'm supposed to be part of this big winter apocalypse coming on Sunday..."the Carolinas"...
I checked....40's and rainy in my zip code (by the beach).

And there are people here that ran out to stock up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 02:32 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Again, read the thread and the hyperbolic posts and stop implying that I haven't acknowledge that there are some issues. But this hogwash about "empty grocery stores" and it being "national" as opposed to regional is what I have the issue with. The OP is sensationalizing. Pure and simple.
Yes. I have been out most of the day shopping, and there were no empty shelves anywhere I went. The biggest problem I'm currently seeing is shortened hours due to employee illness.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:28 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Consult a map and imagine what happens when I-75, I-95, I-40, I-70 etc. etc. etc. are shut down or slow-going, even for a day.

Ohhhh the lengths you go! Imagine what would happen if you stopped letting the MSM spoon feed you gullible soup every day? Even if and when those highways do get backed up, it doesn't domino-effect for months on end. Food shortages started happened around Halloween in some states. And it wasn't snowing at the time, nor were any highways "shut down or slow-going, even for a day." So what's your excuse for that? Better yet, how far down the hole of denial are you willing to go?

Old 01-14-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Apparently you don’t understand sarcasm.

I understand it just fine. But you are known to flip flop constantly, so now I just say what's on my mind.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, because it doesn't agree with you that means the company are shills

And of course it's a figment of my imagination and the other posters that shy of a few items, shelves are stocked every time we go shopping (btw I'm going this morning...should I take pictures for you?...I can date them so you'll know it's not some of the BS pictures of others posting empty shelves probably taken at the start of the pandemic).

Sorry, not buying the hyperbolic hogwash and you ignoring the other links disproving that "grocery stores are empty" ain't gonna cut it. We have 29 million people in Texas that are doing just fine shopping at HEB.

So because you're able to get what you need, EVERYONE is lying?! How dare you! I finally found a whole chicken for the first time in weeks the other night. The 3 stores I go to can barely get any chicken in. Last week they were out of tomato sauce. I had to get a rain check on multiple sales for various meats because they didn't have it. There was a sale on whole chickens last week. The guy in the meat department said ONE case in, around 5 AM. Every chicken was sold before noon.

You think we're lying? Here's two articles on it from one of the most trusted local news stations in my state.

https://www.wfsb.com/heres-why-groce...692054787.html

https://www.wfsb.com/news/residents-...f22845848.html

Old 01-14-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
He must have learned that from the American conservatives who often opine that people on welfare spend their money on cigarettes, expensive sneakers, and cell phones.

I mean, where's the lie?

Old 01-14-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
So, you're already saying "regional" which is a backtrack from the other hyperbolic posters calling it "national". Now if you'll correct your hyperbolic title and stop saying "empty grocery stores" which I'm sure you know is hogwash, we'll be on to something

Again, post #139 sums your thread up nicely. Please stop sensationalizing as it serves no purpose and merely makes you lose credibility.

Are you really so hung up on someone using the wrong word that you're going to continue to say this isn't an issue? And for the love of God, YOU and YOUR FRIENDS being able to buy all of your groceries doesn't mean everyone else is able to!

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-15-2022 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-14-2022, 03:41 PM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
He must have learned that from the American conservatives who often opine that people on welfare spend their money on cigarettes, expensive sneakers, and cell phones.
They got it wrong. It's weed, sneakers and cell phones. And jewelry, don't forget the jewelry.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:14 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
He never said it.

It was Scott Reid, Martin's director of communications, that did, and later apologized.

It wasn't what brought the government down though.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/liber...pcorn-1.534811

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/the-vote...ment-1.4913662
I am well aware that the vote that forced the election was held about a month before the infamous "beer and popcorn" line. I remember that it was a straight non-confidence motion, not the typical defeat of a money bill or what Australians call "supply." What I said should have been couched as an opinion; that the callous and stupid remark cost the LPOC votes in enough ridings that the CPC had a plurality and was in a position to organize a minority government. Two elections later, the CPC finally won a rare majority, the first as the CPC and, if the Progressive Conservatives count, a rare majority government after Meaghan's in the early 1920's, Bennett's from 1930 - 1935, Diefenbaker in 1958-62, and Mulroney in 1984 and 1988, until 1993. I know that Macdonald, Tupper and two others whose name I can't remember without resorting to Google had 19th Century Conservative majorities. I'm not sure if Borden was Conservative or Liberal but during part of WW I he led a so-far unique Canadian coalition government.

Owing to my ignorance about matters Canadian I only know the Prime Ministers in order from Sir Wilfred Laurier forward.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:55 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
I live in the Mid-Atlantic and we may take a direct hit from the storm and get up to 2 feet of snow. That's a once in a decade or so event so I expected empty shelves. It was mostly milk, bread and coffee creamer yesterday.
Even though we regularly get snow all winter, we do have the "Gotta get the bread and milk!" types every time we get any snow.

Much is an overreaction, but some people really should stay in. I saw a sobering statistic on Accuweather during our last storm I will share. Over a million people in the US slip and fall every year during the winter. Those are reported through healthcare so I am sure the actual number with minor injuries is much higher. The real shocker is that 17,000 die every year from slipping on ice/snow. I had no idea it was that high. All anyone talks about is Covid anymore, but this is a real issue too, particularly for the elderly. They should stock up and only go out when roads and sidewalks are clear.

Canned cat food is still in short supply. A few others mentioned Chewy online but the Friskies flavors I buy are sold out there too. Never seen anything like this.

No apparent stocking issues in any part of my grocery store. Just shortages of some things. Not one box of Nilla wafers, for one. Cream cheese is finally back but with a higher price.

I noticed that the cat food shortage is so bad that they have given up waiting for it and are making use of the bare shelves. There used to be four shelves of canned cat food and now the bottom two are cat litter. I am really going to be SOL if there is eventually a shortage of THAT.
Temptations cat treats too. At least they are available. Another poster mentioned Fancy Feast being like "kitty crack". LOL. I agree. Temptations are the same. Cats are just tiny tigers and I don't dare come home without their treats and deal with their meowing and evil stares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies