Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 09:59 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times

Advertisements

What were your one-to-three most important reasons for moving?

I ask this because I am seeing an increasing number of threads suggesting that people are moving from blue states to red states mainly for reasons concerning politics and/or social issues. I actually doubt whether this is true.

As for my husband and myself, our reason for moving (in Summer 2020) was mostly because we wanted to retire to a four seasons climate, although politics was definitely a factor in our final decision. (We would not have moved anywhere in which more than 50% voted for Hillary OR where more than 55% voted for Trump. However, if we were making the decision today, we probably would have chosen a state that was about 55% red instead of a swing state.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 10:50 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
It would be a combination of money, politics, and climate. I can only move to a warmer location at this point...Eastern south Dakota is among the coldest part of the continental US. I'd never move to North Dakota or northern MN. Also how is the crime there? Cold does tend to keep crime rates down. My father lives in eastern WI in a wealthy mostly white county (ozaukee) and I consider it to be really nice....where I grew up is really nice... Lake Michigan acts like a buffer from hot and cold weather at his distance from the lakeshore which is around 2 miles....but I live 3 blocks from work and make good money for work that isn't particularly strenuous where I'm at. I LOVE my living and job situation....minus all the shortages in things like housing.

I'm not going to just move somewhere a little warmer like Iowa because they have a state income tax...I'd make a big move to significantly warmer area... So for me I want more global warming. This planet is far too cold on way too much of the available landmass. There's a reason Floridas population is going up besides a republican governor and social freedoms.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-06-2022 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-06-2022, 11:09 AM

4,512 posts, read 1,866,885 times
I moved from a declining democrat infested cesspool in a mostly red state to a purple area in a very very very blue state.

Reasons for moving:

1) Job
2) Climate
3) Proximity to wife’s family

Old 01-06-2022, 11:11 AM

2,367 posts, read 910,329 times
I think the discussion threads are more about where people moved FROM, less about where they moved TO. It's about "fleeing".

OP, where did you move from?

I've moved about the country quite a bit and the reason was always work.

If I decide to move to Europe for retirement, would I be fleeing the US?

Old 01-06-2022, 11:13 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What were your one-to-three most important reasons for moving?

I ask this because I am seeing an increasing number of threads suggesting that people are moving from blue states to red states mainly for reasons concerning politics and/or social issues. I actually doubt whether this is true.

As for my husband and myself, our reason for moving (in Summer 2020) was mostly because we wanted to retire to a four seasons climate, although politics was definitely a factor in our final decision. (We would not have moved anywhere in which more than 50% voted for Hillary OR where more than 55% voted for Trump. However, if we were making the decision today, we probably would have chosen a state that was about 55% red instead of a swing state.)
I met a family last year that moved from NY to FL specifically because of the vaccine mandate in public schools.

They moved in 2019, before COVID, but after NYS vaccine mandate was put into effect. She pulled her kid and was homeschooling not sure if she enrolled him in FL schools or continued to homeschool.

I know of another family that is seriously considering it and the husband has talked to recruiters about FL jobs.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:33 AM

4,034 posts, read 2,719,381 times
Anytime I've moved, it's been for work. I'd expect that the case for most people, along with moving once you retire to make the dollars stretch further/easier climate, along with looking to be close to family members.

Any thoughts I've given to another possible move is mostly climate. I drove along the PNW coast a few years ago and loved it, I look at houses online in that area every so often out of curiosity.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:42 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,840 times
Only one....Cost of Living.

I suspect if you asked people where they would move if COL wasn't an issue, you'd get the most honest answers about what was really important to people.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:43 AM

6,812 posts, read 9,363,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Anytime I've moved, it's been for work. I'd expect that the case for most people, along with moving once you retire to make the dollars stretch further/easier climate, along with looking to be close to family members.
Same. I moved to Colorado when it was a red/purple state, but I didn’t move here because of the politics, I moved because I got a job here. I left California. But this was 15+ years ago, so I’m a little bit out scope for the question on this thread.

One of my close friends also just moved to Colorado in 202 right before COVID, but in his case, he wanted to be able to afford real estate. Also moved from California. Politics didn’t really factor into his decision, at least explicitly.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:02 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I'm planning on moving out of CA for the following reasons:

High cost of living.
Traffic
Crowding
Poor infrastructure
Cash out on home equity
Poor performing schools
Lefty nanny state policies
General quality of life issues

I don't think politics is really at the top of the list for most people if they really are honest. It's factor for sure, but most of it comes down to economics and quality of life factors, in my opinion.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:11 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Moved from WA to OH primarily to support elderly parents. Perversely cost of living is actually higher here due to much higher taxes and inflation hitting the midwest harder than the coasts.

Soon as in-laws are gone we are out of here and back to a coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies