Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 09:42 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,585 times

Advertisements

Do you guys support making election day a holiday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 09:45 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Stop referring to it as voting rights, since it is nothing but federalizing elections so the House of Representatives can be the "last word" in counting votes and the first and last word in how elections will occur.

There is no state in the union that does not have full voting access for anyone of voting age. Sure, there may be a few states that make Democrat ballot harvesting a bit tougher, or voter fraud a bit more difficult to pull off, but generally, anyone who wants to vote in this country has lots of ways to do it.

Nope, this is about making sure the current Democrat majority in the House gets to be the only official vote counters in the coming midterms. It stinks of desperation, because they know where 2022 is headed.

And as I have said in other threads, Sinema is saving them from their own foolishness. Sure, they federalize elections and maybe they cheat their way to keeping one chamber or the other. Great, cool. But the day will come when even with the Dems' best cheating efforts, the GOP will win and take back both the House and the Senate...and they will spend at least 2 years curb stomping the Democrats with an iron boot the Democrats handed them.

Sinema is smart enough to remember the Trump-McConnell judiciary festival that was made possible 100% by one single Democrat throwing a similar tantrum back in 2014.

They want THIS election, and they cannot see the long game beyond it. Only two of their Senators seem to have a freaking clue how payback works and that no majority in American politics is permanent.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:49 PM

4,503 posts, read 1,860,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
Sure, go for it.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No Sinema killed it. I fully regret voting for that two-faced traitor. She sold out Arizona. Arizona has had several issues with voting and this goes back to the election she won and even before that. She is out of touch and I should have voted McSally. While I don't like McSally, at least I would have gotten what I expected. Sinema is two-faced and cannot be trusted. Sinema today single-handedly given the Republicans the House and Senate in 2022.
actually Sinema saved the republic (we are a representative constitutional republic, not a democracy)

The dems never ever should have even thought about getting rid of the NEEDED filibuster

its like liberals have never seen "mr. Smith goes to Washington"...having a chance to speak, let the masses know that there is not just ONE opinion, letting people understand that the vote that you are about to do, not only has all the "pros' that you have been preaching, but "cons" too...... but liberals want control, and its their way or the highway

the fact is the filibuster is there to protect the republic from mob rule, its to protect the little guy, from authoritarianism

democracy demands the filibuster...if dems eliminate the filibuster, they will in essence be calling for the elimination (by vote) of themselves

the filibuster is to make sure democracy Is stable, that the "powers that be" don't abuse their power and just push through things that will hurt democracy....the filibuster is so the minority party at least has a say... the filibuster came about in 1806 (less than 20 years after the constitution was ratified)

how would you like it if the party in power said..those that oppose us shall be sent to Siberia....and there was no one to speak for the minority..... do the democrats want to be compared to the Communists or the Nazi's.... I would think not, but if you guys continue to want to try to abolish the filibuster, then that comparison would be valid

Old 01-13-2022, 09:52 PM

33,999 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Here I was thinking all Americans already had voting rights.

What more rights do people need?
Amen.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:53 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,246,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
They want THIS election, and they cannot see the long game beyond it. Only two of their Senators seem to have a freaking clue how payback works and that no majority in American politics is permanent.
Why the Democrats want to pare back or eliminate the filibuster is beyond me. They have a structural disadvantage in the Senate. Why would they want to empower simple majority rule in a chamber they will control less than 50% of the time?

Eliminating the filibuster is the only way Republicans can reduce legal immigration levels, divert social security receipts to private investment accounts, any number of wish list items.

Last edited by Avondalist; 01-13-2022 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-13-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
No. Been voting for 4 decades, and I have worked every single Election Day.

It is not rocket science.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:58 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Why the Democrats want to pare back or eliminate the filibuster is beyond me. They have a structural disadvantage in the Senate. Why would they want to empower simple minority rule in a chamber they will control less than 50% of the time?

Eliminating the filibuster is the only way Republicans can reduce legal immigration levels, divert social security receipts to private investment accounts, any number of wish list items.
Yup...and it seems like Sinema might actually know all that.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Why the Democrats want to pare back or eliminate the filibuster is beyond me. They have a structural disadvantage in the Senate. Why would they want to empower simple majority rule in a chamber they will control less than 50% of the time?

Hilarious post, as while having the Senate majority, the GOP has attempted to bring to a vote eliminating the filibuster ZERO times.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:03 PM

17,983 posts, read 27,442,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The Biden Administration wants to change filibuster rules so their is a glimmer that is could be passed. It seems almost all Republicans are against it, along with enough Democrats to not even make it feasible to go down this route.
"...as division in his own party grows even stronger."

Ha ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies