Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 03:00 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yes, it's just tragic that in 2020 almost 50% of their electricity came from alternate sources, isn't it? You might want to reconsider your narrative, and not rely on Fox News as your source.

https://www.reuters.com/article/germ...-idUKKBN28O1AH
That article doesn't say what you think it says past the headline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 04:59 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
...I consider those temps to be brutal and bitter cold...
Tell me you're not from the Midwest, without telling me you're not from the Midwest.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:28 AM

12,976 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What do people in the South keep thermostats at? You must hate Michigan so much, and like to pretend you never lived there just because it "doesn't suit" your political ideology either. How bizarre.. Everyone I know that lives in northern locations has an alternate heat source, passive solar, wood pellets, or a wood stove- meaning they use wood from off their property that is sustainably cut. I always have my thermostat at 64-65F all winter along with most people I know, that is plenty warm. Energy prices go in cycles, right now with the global economy heating up, and energy companies being greedy as well as speculators- prices will not be going down in the very short-term horizon Around here we often invest in quality insulation and better construction materials that seem to be a very foreign concept in most of the South. Quality over quantity.
I'm not sure where you got that idea. I have around R-50 in my main attic (blown fiberglass plus blown cellulose), R-60 (two R-30 blankets) in a one-story addition, and R-19 for the flloor - plus my crawlspace is "encapsulated". Walls of the house are R-13. The house is well-constructed with Andersen double-pane windows. The attic is well ventilated. All that is pretty typical of homes in this area. It's obviously not as cold here as it is in New Hampshire, but it's not tropical either.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:53 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'm not sure where you got that idea. I have around R-50 in my main attic (blown fiberglass plus blown cellulose), R-60 (two R-30 blankets) in a one-story addition, and R-19 for the flloor - plus my crawlspace is "encapsulated". Walls of the house are R-13. The house is well-constructed with Andersen double-pane windows. The attic is well ventilated. All that is pretty typical of homes in this area. It's obviously not as cold here as it is in New Hampshire, but it's not tropical either.
Insulation requirements will be higher in the north but regardless you insulate in the south too.

Insulation works for both heating and cooling.

Fun fact; that pink stuff and blown in has an expiration date. The pink stuff in the walls about 30 years. Blown in in walls tends to pack down. In attics same thing.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:00 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
Are you thinking of geothermal? I replaced my entire HVAC system with a two stage Goodman heat pump (inside and outside units) for around $8K in 2020. Not sure where you're getting $100K from...
Yes, geothermal heat pumps. Over $100k to drill and install heating and cooling systems.

With the cost of electricity here, and the cold winters, I'm not sure an air heat pump is worth it

Old 01-15-2022, 07:25 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Granite probably talking bout a normal heat pump. That’s electricity until it freezes then switches over to a gas furnace inside.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:01 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Granite probably talking bout a normal heat pump. That’s electricity until it freezes then switches over to a gas furnace inside.
Normally heatpumps switch over to an auxiliary electric heat coil system inside unit air handler. In short it's a electric furnace. The unit will engage when the heat pump can't produce heat on its own.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:06 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Yes, lots of absurd waste from the oil and gas companies that conservatives never like to address because follow the money trail...
*cough* they're not dumb enough to put all their eggs in just the republican basket.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/19/chevr...ons-democrats/

Old 01-15-2022, 08:26 AM

1,601 posts, read 866,837 times
Quote:
There has been a BRUTAL increase in natural gas prices this week in the energy market, seems to be well outside the typical norm and smells like excessive speculation on the part of traders.

What's your source on that? All I see is a slight uptick brought about by the winter storm Izzy, which is normal. Natural gas was trading much higher as recently as October.

https://quotes.ino.com/charting/?s=NYMEX_NG.G22

Old 01-15-2022, 08:33 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
We have oil heat. It's already expensive and it has been cold early this year. Today is in the single digits. The electric bill goes up too because of space heaters and the furnace uses a blower that uses electricity. We don't have access to a natural gas line, so it's either this or electric heat, which is just like burning money.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies