Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2022, 01:55 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It doesn't. It prevents death.

As for vaccinated people spreading it,,, too bad for those who refuse it. Mask up twice or get vaccinated to prevent death, and leave the rest of us alone. It isn't up to us to save you.
The greatest president ever agrees with you:

Biden: "Well, the virus — look, here’s the — it’s real simple: We have a pandemic for those who haven’t gotten a vaccination. It’s that basic, that simple. Ten thousand people have recently died; 9,950 of them, thereabouts, are people who hadn’t been vaccinated.

There’s a simple, basic proposition: If you’re vaccinated, you’re not going to be hospitalized, you’re not going to be in an ICU unit, and you’re not going to die. "

Old 01-15-2022, 02:01 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why is wearing a mask such a big sacrifice? My Dad walked with a limp his whole life because a Japanese mine went off a few feet from him. I never heard him complain once.

Do what you can to limit the spread. Listen to experts, not fools on the internet. Look at it as your patriotic duty.
I always wonder why those who are in favor of mandates (none of which has gone through any legislative process) keep calling it "patriotic".

Maybe your understanding of Patriotism is different from others. I consider all lawful protest against "bad government" to be patriotic. Do you?

Now, this is the American Heritage Dictionary reference:

Quote:
Feeling, expressing, or inspired by love for one's country.

Inspired by patriotism; actuated by love of one's country; zealously and unselfishly devoted to the service of one's country.

Inspired by patriotism; actuated by love of one's country; zealously and unselfishly devoted to the service of one's country; as, a patriotic statesman, vigilance.
Here's Merriam-Webster:
Quote:
love for or devotion to one's country
It's not "patriotic" by these definitions. You can call it "community service", "community-centered" or a variety of terms.

A patriot has love for a country, for the institution (of the ideal) of The United States, and for the Constitution.

Which mandate has passed Constitutional muster? Which one has been passed - heck, even considered - in Congress?

Which one has been JUSTIFIED by the results?

If one wanted to be patriotic, and be devoted to the Country, then it seems to me you should be worried about the Government following its rules, not subverting your individual rights, be against these mandates, but encourage people to get vaccinated & demand we address the issues where they lie.

What is about mask mandates or vaccine requirements that you consider patriotic?

Old 01-15-2022, 02:05 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Because it doesn't stop COVID.

Because the government shouldn't control what you wear on your face.

Because it makes people argue for no good reason. Like in this thread.

Lots of reasons.

Has nothing at all to do with 'sacrifice.' Not wanting to do something that is idiotic for no good reason other than 'somebody told me to' is a sign of common sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Alex Jones told you right?
anybody else not surprised at the response?

venice put it much more succinctly than me, so let me be equally succinct....maybe you've heard this before

If the government told you to jump off a bridge, would you?

Old 01-15-2022, 02:08 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
My co-worker who got his vaccine the same day I did april 2021 got a moderate case of covid last week. The vaccines do wear off, so boosters are needed. This is the basic science of how the human body handles coronaviruses.

So if you are high risk (obese, elderly) you should have a booster also. If you just decide no more shots, don't be surprised if you get a moderate case of covid. More and more of the vaccine hesitant are coming down with moderate cases... one actually ended up in the hospital .. my coworker's girlfriend. I'm all for vaccine choice though. Let real world experience influence people's choices.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-15-2022 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-15-2022, 02:13 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Even if 100% of people were vaccinated you'd still have certain governments forcing masks.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:14 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
My co-worker who got his vaccine the same day I did april 2021 got a moderate case of covid last week. The vaccines do wear off, so boosters are needed. This is the basic science of how the human body handles coronaviruses.

So if you are high risk (obese, elderly) you should have a booster also. If you just decide no more shots, don't be surprised if you get a moderate case of covid.
Or get the natural immunity from omicron, since the vaccines are over two years old and almost worthless at this point

Old 01-15-2022, 02:14 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
It doesn't. It prevents death.

As for vaccinated people spreading it,,, too bad for those who refuse it. Mask up twice or get vaccinated to prevent death, and leave the rest of us alone. It isn't up to us to save you.
My husband and I got the J&J vaccine. It was supposed to be a "one and done" deal. Meanwhile, others got the mRNA ones. When the vaccines came out, we were all told that the mRNA ones were better than any vaccine ever created because they were 90% effective after 2 doses. Heck, J&J was only supposed to be 65% effective---later that got amended to the mid-70 percent. Average non-covid vaccines are about 75% effective, for comparison.

Turned out it was all a big lie regarding the mRNA ones. Now, one has to be vaccinated every 6 months until the end of their lives. To add insult to injury, those vaccines have killed or seriously injured lots of people. So what do the powers that be do about this? They double down and make a kids' version. When kids 12 and up started dying or getting injured, the powers that be decided to give the vaccine to kids 5 and up!

Meanwhile, they are having a freak out because 9 people died from blood clots after getting J&J. The powers that be have now demonized J&J and are pushing to stop giving it to people. This, after telling those of us who got J&J that we now need a booster. Such schizophrenic messaging!

Meanwhile, they are refusing to allow Novavax into this country even though it has proven to be effective and is an old school vaccine. Supposedly, they now are considering allowing it.

Do you know that some people can't mask up, let alone double mask? I know a woman who went into a coma due to undiagnosed Type 1 diabetes. When she came out of her coma, she was left with a host of allergies on top of being asthmatic. She was told by her doctors to never mask up. Plus, she was told to never get a covid vax. Do you think someone like her deserves to die due to not masking or getting vaccinated?

Finally, vaccines are meant to stop the spread of disease. Yet with the mRNA ones, one can still get covid after vaccination. IOW, these vaccines are worthless. Not only can you still get covid and spread it to others but no one knows if one will get injured or die after receiving it. Those who don't immediately get injured or die can never say with certainty that they will be fine in the future.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:16 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Are you nuts? I'm not the one who fears this. I'm the one who's ****** because I'm mandated to wear a mask in public in my state... while people like you spout your anti-vax nonsense. You're the one who lives in fear of a vaccine.
Do you realize that those who don't want the mRNA vaccines aren't all anti-vaxx?

Old 01-15-2022, 02:16 PM

2,004 posts, read 865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
anybody else not surprised at the response?

venice put it much more succinctly than me, so let me be equally succinct....maybe you've heard this before

If the government told you to jump off a bridge, would you?
You are making this citizen against government. Let's forget about the government, what does your doctor recommend? If your doctor told you to wear a n95, would you listen to your personal family doctor?

Old 01-15-2022, 02:21 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I don't get why we still have a mask mandate, especially here in NY...

To protect me? Well, I'm vaccinated and already protected.

To protect others? Well if other people are so worried and scared about me being maskless, why don't they get vaccinated?

So this really all boils down to the people who don't want to get vaccinated. I get it, your body, your choice. So why isn't it my choice now to not wear a mask now that I'm vaccinated? Why is this only a choice to the unvaccinated?
I have precious little sympathy for anyone who believed we could comply our way back to normal -- those who hoped against nearly all historical record to the contrary that the more and faster we gave up our basic liberties, the sooner they would be restored. Well, here we are approaching Year Three of "15 days" of complying our way back to normal.

Count me among the "told you so" crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies