Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 05:31 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

What an amazing country we live in, where an University lecturer can get fired based on the opinions of students who felt they were 'disrespected' in a racial way.

Doesn't matter what you say or do these days, even if unintentional, you can immediately get fired, doxxed, and reputation ruined even on the flimsiest of evidence.

As I have been pointing out for a while, organizations and businesses these days would rather err on the side of caution, rather than say or do nothing immediately lest they then be accused of being 'racist' for not acting sooner.

Sick.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fordham-u...223139230.html

Quote:
A Fordham University lecturer was fired after allegedly mixing up the names of two Black students in his class.

According to The Observer, Christopher Trogan, a lecturer in Fordham University's English department was terminated because of his response to an incident on Sept. 24 where he mixed up the names of two students who walked into class late. The students allegedly felt disrespected after the incident and believed the mistake was made because the two are both Black.

Trogan emailed his students in the Composition II class shortly after the incident occurred and addressed the mixup, apologizing for what he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 05:43 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
The universities are so far gone now. And we, as a civilization, need universities.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:51 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
That's a crazy reason to be fired. It's also why I rarely call people by name. I have a fear of getting it wrong. My rational mind is wondering if there is more going on with this story, like if it was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. If not, I don't know what too say

Old 12-13-2021, 05:54 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Well it could have been worse. He could have called them the wrong pronouns....

I think those transgendered types have even less patience than some black people with their perceived racism....

Old 12-13-2021, 07:20 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
An article from the school paper.

https://fordhamobserver.com/66231/ne...ish-professor/

His C.V.

http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/sites/defau...trogan.cv_.pdf

Old 12-13-2021, 07:23 PM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Well he'll know better next time not to "disrespect" Black students by mixing up names.
Obviously it was a racist intent going by today's new standards.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:31 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
One student reported him and the other didn’t. However, he apparently kept getting it wrong over multiple classes and despite being corrected multiple times. Likely more to the story.

Nowhere near what happened to my friend who has a very uncommon Danish last name. A professor at our school called her name on the first day, made a face when she responded, and literally told her - in front of the entire class - that every “insert name” he knew was white. Quite a welcome to the mainland U.S. after growing up in a formerly Danish island and with Danish ancestors.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:35 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What an amazing country we live in, where an University lecturer can get fired based on the opinions of students who felt they were 'disrespected' in a racial way.

Doesn't matter what you say or do these days, even if unintentional, you can immediately get fired, doxxed, and reputation ruined even on the flimsiest of evidence.

As I have been pointing out for a while, organizations and businesses these days would rather err on the side of caution, rather than say or do nothing immediately lest they then be accused of being 'racist' for not acting sooner.

Sick.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fordham-u...223139230.html
Good luck with the lawsuit, Fordham!

Insanity is becoming the norm. That is not a good sign.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:41 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,786,423 times
Oh good grief. I don't even get my kids' names right.

I had a professor during 3 different semesters. She never got my name right. Finally, late in my last semester, we found ourselves at the same social gathering. She then realized she'd been wrong for a couple years and apologized. I told her as long as my grade was correct she could call me "humpty dumpty."

Oh the humanity!!!1!11!!!1

Old 12-13-2021, 07:42 PM

13,753 posts, read 8,009,665 times
As someone who taught as an adjunct professor for 24 years I can understand the department calling in the instructor to discuss the complaint... but to get sacked?

Either there's a lot more to this story or the firing is bull****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies