Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 09:57 AM

72,959 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Interesting observation. Thank you for sharing.

(I’m both but have never lived in neighborhoods predominantly made up of either group on the mainland. Also not part of the predominant/standard groups within each group so their “leaders” often don’t speak to me or my experience).
The man who pushed that woman to her death, he needs to be shot. I wish someone had jumped him and beat him to death. He was wrong for that. I would have sold him out in a heartbeat. I sold a few people out for jumping me and robbing me.

I also think about this. Whenever crap like that happens, I start thinking about how some people will use that event. I think about those who would use this to complain about Black people, to vent their anger/frustration about Black people. I don't get anything out of having a dialogue with someone who resents Black people. I take things personally. I've dealt with bigoted, racist individuals growing up. Someone who comes to the table with racial resentment/only wants to criticize Black people, I'm going to be on the defensive.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:10 AM

72,959 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
We’re speaking about the article here ONLINE. The picture is there for all to see and there is a video.

Doubt it would be any different if the person was a crazy, white homeless man.
I think about this. What do some people really want to talk about? If this really about crime going up? Is this really about violence towards Asians? Is it really about Black people?

Old 01-16-2022, 10:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Is this an epidemic, continuing from last year??

"Deranged man pushes Asian woman to death at Time Square subway station"

https://nypost.com/2022/01/15/woman-...ubway-station/
Epidemic?

According to your link, the whack job, approached another woman who was not Asian who quickly moved away from the edge of the platform.

Guy is homeless and according to arresting officers was talking gibberish.

The NYC subway system is the world’s largest by number of stations.

Tokyo is the world’s largest by passenger count. Stations are substantially patrolled given it is necessary to physically stuff passengers onto trains. Nonetheless, violence does occur on moving trains.

The percentage of homeless people, especially obviously mentally ill people out and about on the streets of Tokyo, is a tiny fraction of Tokyo’s population despite the cost of housing makes the average cost in NYC look like a bargain.

For reasons I have never understood, a percent of passengers choose to position themselves at or near the edge of train platforms, all over the world. They are far more trusting of the general public than I am.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
How many people will be pushed in front of trains in NYC in 2022? Anyone want to put forth any guesstimates?
That mostly depends on how many people choose to position themselves at or close to the ledge.

According to this link, in October there were 20 incidents compared to 17 during the same year in 2020. That’s not the best comparison given the massive reduction in ridership in 2020 due to Covid.

The link shows a woman sitting and waiting for a train to approach and then rushing off the bench to push a person standing at the ledge.

https://abc7ny.com/times-square-subw...york/11060023/

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-16-2022 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-16-2022, 10:52 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,459,011 times
I would think Shanghai could easily pass Toyko.
They are beating and robbing elderly Asian in Oakland,CA,they tend to hold more cash and wear gold jewelry and too weak to defend themselves

Old 01-16-2022, 11:00 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,459,011 times
You know there is a community underneath the subway !

Old 01-16-2022, 11:02 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Is this an epidemic, continuing from last year??

"Deranged man pushes Asian woman to death at Time Square subway station"

https://nypost.com/2022/01/15/woman-...ubway-station/
Conservatives: Hate Crime

Liberals: Let me check with my media masters

Media: Silent. No hate crime.

Democrats: Mostly peaceful pushing of lady to her death

Old 01-16-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I would think Shanghai could easily pass Toyko.
They are beating and robbing elderly Asian in Oakland,CA,they tend to hold more cash and wear gold jewelry and too weak to defend themselves
Criminals have targeted vulnerable people, elderly, frail, female, etc., since forever.

I wonder if a perception that Asians are more likely to be carrying cash and wearing gold watches matches reality. Where is Mr Miyaga?

Old 01-16-2022, 11:29 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 20 days ago)

27,627 posts, read 16,111,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The man who pushed that woman to her death, he needs to be shot. I wish someone had jumped him and beat him to death. He was wrong for that. I would have sold him out in a heartbeat. I sold a few people out for jumping me and robbing me.

I also think about this. Whenever crap like that happens, I start thinking about how some people will use that event. I think about those who would use this to complain about Black people, to vent their anger/frustration about Black people. I don't get anything out of having a dialogue with someone who resents Black people. I take things personally. I've dealt with bigoted, racist individuals growing up. Someone who comes to the table with racial resentment/only wants to criticize Black people, I'm going to be on the defensive.
Some of the reactions are brought on by the animosity created by the dividers that guilt one people, victimize another.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:35 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,583,933 times
what about white supremacy and asian hate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.