Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2022, 11:50 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I agree with your characterization of NYC as hypercompetitive and difficult. To expand on your characterization I think the environment poses far too many risks: risks of bodily harm, theft, vandalism, lawsuits and running afoul of city regulations, to name just a few. I choose to be prudent and grow my prosperity a bit more slowly but steadily in a lower density, lower cost of living area.
I could run into those very things in cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, or St. Louis. In fact, I've gone to cities more dangerous than New York. New Orleans is quite dangerous. Birmingham is one of the worst in America. Strangely, I was actually the victim of a violent crime in the suburbs of Atlanta. Not the city proper, the suburbs.

NYC, in the way that it has traditionally ran itself, I think it would be a difficult place to live. My main issues are that NYC is very expensive, very competitive. Population density isn't the biggest issue. NYC's population density isn't my cup of tea. However, this is what I suspect. NYC would be like a meat grinder. I wonder how much I would have to fight and compete for my place in society.

Also, I've never been a fan of NYC's policing strategies. Let's just say I would have hated to live in Giuliani's New York. Stop and frisk? No thank you. I'm a LIVE FREE OR DIE kind of person.

I'm also a gun owner. I spent some time in England which has uber-strict gun laws. However, that's another country and I expect that. Here in America, I have different expectations. I suspect NYC has the strictest gun laws in America.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:03 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
These types of tragic incidents could be prevented by installation of "platform screen doors." The video link below shows the doors in operation on London's Jubilee Line.

Though the USA has no subway car manufacturers left, There is a US company that makes these doors- Wabtec of Pittsburgh doing business as Westinghouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7r1zXKc8hU

https://nypost.com/2021/02/10/mta-sa...too-expensive/

Last edited by Wells5; 01-17-2022 at 12:13 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 12:42 PM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
These types of tragic incidents could be prevented by installation of "platform screen doors." The video link below shows the doors in operation on London's Jubilee Line.

Though the USA has no subway car manufacturers left, There is a US company that makes these doors- Wabtec of Pittsburgh doing business as Westinghouse.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/10/mta-sa...too-expensive/
I've seen these doors in China too. They work very well. I dunno what the resistance would be in NYC other than money. I'd welcome them all the same.

Throw some of that magical money Pittsburg's way to manufacture these puppies.

We have a ton of 'outdoor' elevated platforms as well where these may not be as easy to setup but it seems the underground ones are the ones with most of the problems anyway.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:44 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
This one appears to be mentally ill.
All of them are mentally ill drug addicts who are being paid to do this.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:52 PM

141 posts, read 48,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
1. Nope.....the average life expectancy of a 40 year old female is 87 years.

2. Why did the OP mention age at all ? (I have my own view about that)
Older doesn't mean elderly...

The OP didn't mention age. They only mentioned it was an "older Asian woman". It gives context that the attack was on an older person and not a younger person. Older people are often seen as easier targets.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:27 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFarmerAmerican View Post
Older doesn't mean elderly...

The OP didn't mention age. They only mentioned it was an "older Asian woman". It gives context that the attack was on an older person and not a younger person. Older people are often seen as easier targets.
She was 40. It's in the article. To most adults, 40 is pretty far from old, so that gives us a clue as to the age range of the OP.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:36 PM

364 posts, read 121,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I could run into those very things in cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, or St. Louis. In fact, I've gone to cities more dangerous than New York. New Orleans is quite dangerous. Birmingham is one of the worst in America. Strangely, I was actually the victim of a violent crime in the suburbs of Atlanta. Not the city proper, the suburbs.

NYC, in the way that it has traditionally ran itself, I think it would be a difficult place to live. My main issues are that NYC is very expensive, very competitive. Population density isn't the biggest issue. NYC's population density isn't my cup of tea. However, this is what I suspect. NYC would be like a meat grinder. I wonder how much I would have to fight and compete for my place in society.

Also, I've never been a fan of NYC's policing strategies. Let's just say I would have hated to live in Giuliani's New York. Stop and frisk? No thank you. I'm a LIVE FREE OR DIE kind of person.

I'm also a gun owner. I spent some time in England which has uber-strict gun laws. However, that's another country and I expect that. Here in America, I have different expectations. I suspect NYC has the strictest gun laws in America.

NYC under Mayor Guiliani was the City at its finest. Low crime, clean, safe and successful. No vagrants terrorizing people at Penn Station, Grand Central etc... NYC needs Rudy or a Rudy clone back in the worst way. Right now, its reverted back to the Dinkins era trash heap.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:45 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
She was 40. It's in the article. To most adults, 40 is pretty far from old, so that gives us a clue as to the age range of the OP.
True. 40 is definitely considered middle-aged.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:48 PM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFTMQEA View Post
NYC under Mayor Guiliani was the City at its finest. Low crime, clean, safe and successful. No vagrants terrorizing people at Penn Station, Grand Central etc... NYC needs Rudy or a Rudy clone back in the worst way. Right now, its reverted back to the Dinkins era trash heap.
Just for accuracy, I'd condone a 90's Rudy. Not a present day Rudy,..he seems a bit ,...off these days

Would Sliwa have been up to the task? Adams is not off to a good start, that's for sure.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:56 PM

141 posts, read 48,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My point is that it's closer to "older" than "younger"... as I said in my initial post...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies