Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2022, 09:39 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,837,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Ok so they actually had a picture of the guy.

I always wondered how cops handle description by eye witnesses. When I've been asked, I could only say average height, average weight, wearing long pants, age 18-50, possibly up to 60, race... I'm not sure.
Eyewitnesses in random street crimes are hit and miss, you’ll have one that will get everything wrong and another who describes an incident with amazing accuracy. The trick lies in figuring out who is right and who is wrong, this is where you total up what everyone “saw” and can hopefully cross reference that with security cameras or traffic cameras and go from there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
https://news.yahoo.com/black-man-no-...133000196.html

The police arrested a 23 yr old black guy (with brown eyes) on a warrant for a 49 yr old dude (with blue eyes). The only thing they have in common is their name. The black guy sat himself in jail for 6 days before a judge released him after his lawyer showed the judge side by side pictures.

2 different departments and over a dozen cops were involved with this case.

I know this sound like a rhetorical question, but I assure you it is not. Should we start imposing a minimal IQ standard for law enforcement officers? I'm Asian and I sure as hell don't want to be arrested because I might share some kind of characteristic with a white guy or black guy and has to depend on cops to be able to differentiate between me and someone 20 years my senior and of different race.
As with politicians, judges, DAs, Mayors, commissioners, voters, etc.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:53 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
The level of incompetence shown by the police in this case is astounding. You noted that all they shared was the same name, but they didn't even really share that as they had different middle names. And the last name was Brown, which is one of the most common names in the country. There should surely be some sort of disciplinary action for incompetence of this level.
I agree. Everyone involved needs to be disciplined or fired.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:54 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
By the way that is gutsy daring someone to an IQ comparison. There are a lot of intelligent well read people on these forums, you never know the achievement level or cognitive abilities that are behind your opponents keyboard. I know some of these folks in here that are politically opposite of me are very intelligent even if I believe or can prove they are wrong. Being wrong doesn’t make one stupid.
I agree.

My sister's father in law is a full blown Trump supporter antivax conspiracy nutcase. He is also a retired math professor.

I was responding more to the hint that liberals are dumb and on welfare.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:10 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
I agree.

My sister's father in law is a full blown Trump supporter antivax conspiracy nutcase. He is also a retired math professor.

Confoundingly enough Ph.Ds. are one of the least vaccinated cadres. Whereas MDs are roughly 97% vaccinated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/am...vid/ar-AANjRHh

Old 01-15-2022, 10:27 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Should there be a minimum IQ for people who complain about police on this forum?

Old 01-15-2022, 10:30 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
I agree.

I have made a lot of very strong and opinionated comments in here. I have even questioned the values of my opponents. I try to make sure however I don’t challenge their intellectual abilities. There are plenty of smart people on both sides of the political spectrum. I have never prescribed to the line of thinking that suggests that political opponents must be less intelligent because I don’t like what they have to say. It is very foolish to underestimate your opponents. This is true of all competitors or opponents in life not just for political debates. Those who underestimate their opponents often end up being made fools of or worse. The most recent example of this happened in 2016 when both the Republican establishment and then the Democratic Party underestimated Donald Trump. Both should have learned a valuable lesson from that experience.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:30 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Should there be a minimum IQ for people who complain about police on this forum?
Are you suggesting a police state where the common man cannot post facts about incompetency within the ranks of the police? Maybe you should move to china where it is illegal to criticize public officials?

Old 01-15-2022, 10:40 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
IQ measures abstract analytical abilities not common sense.
IQ measures general intelligence, which encompasses both of those areas.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:44 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
https://news.yahoo.com/black-man-no-...133000196.html

The police arrested a 23 yr old black guy (with brown eyes) on a warrant for a 49 yr old dude (with blue eyes). The only thing they have in common is their name. The black guy sat himself in jail for 6 days before a judge released him after his lawyer showed the judge side by side pictures.

2 different departments and over a dozen cops were involved with this case.

I know this sound like a rhetorical question, but I assure you it is not. Should we start imposing a minimal IQ standard for law enforcement officers? I'm Asian and I sure as hell don't want to be arrested because I might share some kind of characteristic with a white guy or black guy and has to depend on cops to be able to differentiate between me and someone 20 years my senior and of different race.
Is this an IQ problem, or are officers now being taught not to even consider a suspect's race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies