Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 04:32 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,480,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Acting lessons? Ballet lessons? Hello?
Seriously. My kids never had acting or ballet lessons. They were involved in scouts but that was an extremely budget friendly activity - it just took a group of involved parents to make it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 04:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_Silverhand View Post
I gotta hand it to conservatives. They're pro life until the fetus is born.

“The unborn” are a convenient group of people to advocate for. They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don’t resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don’t ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don’t need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don’t bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn. It's almost as if, by being born, they have died to you. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus, but actually dislike people who breathe. Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn.”

― Methodist Pastor David Barnhart

Gotta hand it to liberals. They're preachy because they think pro-life means people should have as many children as they'd like and the rest of us will pay for them.

By the way...what makes you think those in poverty are the ones having abortions?

Old 01-16-2022, 04:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
So punish those who didnt ask to be born.
Punish them? By not handing over money for acting lessons?

Old 01-16-2022, 04:41 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,744,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Pay for your own damn kids. And don't have kids you can't afford. It's that simple.
Yea tell me about it! We already have to pay for their public education and teachers that work 7 months out of the year.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:53 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,663 times
Quote:
Do you think the taxpayers should pay for this? Or should we add to the debt to pay for this?

Goodbye ‘godsend’: Expiration of child tax credits hits home

https://apnews.com/article/child-tax...8a067a29d6b2c0

...The Robertses are now out $550 a month. That money helped pay for Girl Scouts, ballet and acting lessons and kids’ shoes, which Roberts noted are more expensive than adult shoes. The tax credit, he said, was a “godsend.”

“It’ll make you tighten up your belt, if you’ve got anything to tighten,” Roberts said about losing the payments....
I have absolutely no sympathy for the Roberts's on this issue whatsoever. As a young man, I had 2 young children by the time I was 22. I worked many hard hours to take care of those kids, and that care-giving extended to any extra activities they wanted to take part in. Sometimes, there just wasn't enough money for the kids to have everything they wanted. But they always had food, shelter, clothing, and plenty of joy when the holidays came around. Both children also took part in some extra activities as well over the years. My daughter was a Girl Scout and took Tang Soo Do, and my son played Rec League ball and took Tang Soo Do as well. All of these activities were my responsibility to pay for, and I never received any extra government benefits for doing my job as a parent. In the end, these people are talking about using the extra government money to pay for their children's luxury activities. For some reason, that really annoys the hell out of me. There are plenty of activities they could encourage their children to take part in which would be far less expensive than ballet and acting classes. Seems to me these people are living a bit beyond their means anyway if the only way they can pay for these things is by getting extra money every month from the government. I mean, if this is the standard, then I would like a little extra dough to pay for my cable and internet. And while were at it, maybe a little extra for greens fees. Honestly, the entitled attitude of some of these people makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
The refundable Child Tax Credit was doubled in 2017 to $2000 per qualifying child.

The Child Tax Credit was temporarily increased to $3-3600 per ahold, depending on age for 6 months in 2020. 50% of the Credit was paid monthly July- Dec.

The temporary bump, like the 3 Stimulus payments , did not impact a child’s eligibility for SNAP, TANF and other child welfare programs.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:57 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Only partly true. There still is a child tax credit the taxpayers are on the hook for, it's been part of the tax code for years. All that expired was the extra welfare passed as part of "Covid relief". Here's a though-if you can't afford kids...don't have them.

The most irritating part is that these child tax credits go to illegal alien parents to.

"The Treasury Department’s Office of Inspector General has said $4.2 billion in child tax credits were given to illegal immigrants".

https://amac.us/dems-block-gop-bills...al-immigrants/

As usual it was the Democrats that didn't want to block these tax credits to illegal aliens.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:58 PM

7,897 posts, read 3,447,226 times
Is this the child tax credit that people don't realize will come out of their tax return at the end of the year?

Old 01-16-2022, 05:01 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Do you think the taxpayers should pay for this? Or should we add to the debt to pay for this?

Goodbye ‘godsend’: Expiration of child tax credits hits home

https://apnews.com/article/child-tax...8a067a29d6b2c0

...The Robertses are now out $550 a month. That money helped pay for Girl Scouts, ballet and acting lessons and kids’ shoes, which Roberts noted are more expensive than adult shoes. The tax credit, he said, was a “godsend.”

“It’ll make you tighten up your belt, if you’ve got anything to tighten,” Roberts said about losing the payments....
I am delighted the freebies are ending.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:01 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
This is basically using one example of a few people abusing a system to punish the rest.

But it’s ok when the rich do it.

Trump’s tax evasion? “It’s ok, he’s smart, he knows how to game the system”.
A few people? Get real, will you? Did you read my last post?

No, it's not ok for rich people to cheat on their taxes or anyone else. Is that what you call gaming the system? They use the deductions that the government allows them. Don't like it then seek change to our tax codes but don't imply that it's cheating to use the allowable deductions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies