Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 11:29 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
And what temperature inside with the windows open?
It depends on how many windows there are. So you would have to answer that first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 11:33 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It depends on how many windows there are. So you would have to answer that first.
Since you insist the temps are no big deal, how many are there?

Old 01-17-2022, 03:23 AM

7,363 posts, read 3,529,717 times
unless there is a fan blowing the inside air out, a small crack in a window is pretty theatrical

Old 01-17-2022, 03:41 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Seems like you have never lived in a place where it gets that cold. A room can get very cold with several windows open, even with the heat blasting.

So the open windows, which are meant to keep fresh air circulating, doesn't work in the far north in winter.
BS

I've lived in Alaska and Minnesota, both get nippy in the winter.

Slept with open windows in both places.

Kids ran in and out all day, the door was constantly fanning the breeze.

None of us froze. Or even wore jackets or sweaters inside.

Lord, what a bunch of whimpy folks

Old 01-17-2022, 03:41 AM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Being cold doesn't cause pneumonia. It's an infection in your lungs. Honestly, what is wrong with windows being opened 4 inches when the school is heated.
Best to do a little more research - for those with respiratory viral illnesses or allergies who are in a situation with a severe cold stress are liable to get pneumonia. Those sitting close to the windows are getting a bigger burst of stress than someone sitting on the opposite side of the room.

You reply quite a bit and always in the negative trying to destroy a person's posting - but you need to pick your battles and come in with the knowledge to make that possible and that means researching. A 15 minute walk to school where you are bundled up with hats, scarves, gloves ect ( mind you - many are picked up by heated buses at or near their homes these days) and sitting with the windows open while not dressed for the weather for hours are 2 different things.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:45 AM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
BS

I've lived in Alaska and Minnesota, both get nippy in the winter.

Slept with open windows in both places.

Kids ran in and out all day, the door was constantly fanning the breeze.

None of us froze. Or even wore jackets or sweaters inside.

Lord, what a bunch of whimpy folks
You're only protesting because a righty started the thread. I live in Western NY - I sleep with a window open most nights but I'm in sweats curled up under a blanket and not sitting right next to the window. I run out to the garage without a coat to take out the garbage - but I'm not subjecting myself to the cold temp for hours without proper clothing. Had a leftie written this about a red state school - your posting would be completely different.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Not 4 inches. We are talking about 4 DEGREES temperature.

Again, have you ever experienced single digit temps? Or minus zero temps?
Yes.

One year it was -40 degrees at Thanksgiving. We sat around a bonfire and counted our blessings.

No one got pneumonia.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You're only protesting because a righty started the thread. I live in Western NY - I sleep with a window open most nights but I'm in sweats curled up under a blanket and not sitting right next to the window. I run out to the garage without a coat to take out the garbage - but I'm not subjecting myself to the cold temp for hours without proper clothing. Had a leftie written this about a red state school - your posting would be completely different.
Then wear proper clothing, for crying out loud.

And my answer would be the same if it was a red state school.

Children need fresh air. Unless it is bitter cold, most school districts send children out for recess.

As to who sits by the window, it would be our kids. I can send them in warm boots, long underwear, sweaters, hats, jackets, ... but I can't protect them from sitting all day, breathing in the viral load expelled by kids with Covid.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:52 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I can't speak for how things are in Boston during this particular cold. But when I was in high school in NYC, it wasn't uncommon to have the windows cracked in the winter time in some classrooms. I lived.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:57 AM

Perhaps they could offer options.

Parent could select the classrooms they thought best.

One option would be fresh air, and wear warm boots, a hat, and a jacket.

The other option would be no fresh air.

I know which one I'd pick during a pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies