Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 12:21 PM

4,547 posts, read 2,269,608 times

Advertisements

I had the unfortunate experience of having the cops come to my house about 10 years ago. It was about one of my kids that did something stupid. They knocked so I opened the door, spoke to them and then put my dogs away before I let them come in. It was for my dog's protection. Irresponsible owners are often the reason why dogs get shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 12:40 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
When I was a kid on the way to a roller hockey game, some dog started chasing me barking up a storm and showing teeth. I turned around and smacked it with my water cooler and it ran off. I would've beat the **** out of it with my hockey stick if stuck around and attacked. A few years back, a neighbors dog ran up within a foot of my leg and was barking aggressively and showing teeth. I instinctively fisted my key and was ready to stab it in the eye if it tried to bite. The neighbor called it in, and I should've cursed out the neighbor about his dog but I had places to go.

I can't say that the cop did or didn't act pre-maturely/excessively, but if you care about your dog... control your damn dog.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:10 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
The other day I was out jogging. Someone had a Golden Retriever off its leash. When I tried to pet it, it lunged at my to take me glove (it was a cold day) and refused to give it back.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:14 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's easy to criticize from afar, but the homeowner should have kept those dogs restrained in the house.

Sure, the dog may appeared to have been friendly initially. But I can't see how the dog was acting once it started heading towards the officer before it was shot (dog was hidden behind the fence).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/surveilla...185010731.html
I agree. The police officer should not have to risk his life to save a pet, no matter how beloved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Having been in several stand offs with dogs while out on a run, I have little sympathy for irresponsible dog owners. I remember one time 3 dogs got out and I was going for a run around 10 pm in a usually quiet neighborhood. One was a pit bull, another a boxer, couldn’t tell the third one. I immediately stopped, but whenever I took a step backwards, they advanced. I literally stood there for 5 minutes trying to back up out of that street. I was thinking it might be the end for me, but I’m at least going to go down with a fight. Then, out of the blue, the owner pulled up, the dogs started wagging their tails, and she got out, “oh, don’t worry, these guys wouldn’t hurt you.” Yeah right, lady.

Another time is was a “friendly” breed and we both stopped, facing each other. I was thinking, oh this won’t be an issue once he sees that I’m friendly. We were looking at each other, then the dog just lunged forward and bit me in the hand. As he bit me in one hand, I used the other to punch him in the head, which caused him to retreat.

Another time I ran by a toy dog on a leash and the little guy went straight for ankle and drew blood.

I’m sure these owners all have excuses how their dogs are “friendly.” The officer didn’t shoot the dog when he was being friendly, he shot when the dog turned around and ran at him barking. I probably wouldn’t have shot him myself, having a decent amount of experience with dogs myself, but it’s ridiculous to say the officer just had to stand there and get attacked. Even sillier is trying to outrun a dog back to the car in order to hide from the dog.
During August 1978, we had a few days of hiving rain. A stray dog made its way into our cellar. The dog did not seem friendly and we did not feel safe going into the basement, where we penned up the dog. We also had a poodle the size of a German Shepherd to be concerned about. Finally we called the police, to capture the dog and hopefully locate the owner. One afternoon, within minutes two things happened: 1) I got my LSAT results and was celebrating my 735; and 2) a shot rang out, killing the dog. To this day I wonder if that was necessary but I suppose it was.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:58 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
If you only listen to MSM I am sure you 100% fully believe that. But in the real world, there are 10's of thousands, if not 100's of thousands of Police Interactions DAILY across the US. A good percentage of them involve various dangerous situations. Almost without exception, those do not end up with the police officer using a firearm to resolve the situation.
The use of firearms in such situations is on a totally different level to most other civilised countries.

Sadly every time I see such videos, I just think how other professions and other countries deal with similar situations without having to resorting to firearms.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:25 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The use of firearms in such situations is on a totally different level to most other civilised countries.

Sadly every time I see such videos, I just think how other professions and other countries deal with similar situations without having to resorting to firearms.
Firearms, hockey sticks, or fisted keys. Are any of them really that different when it comes to dealing with an out of control dog? I can't say that the cop did or didn't act pre-maturely/excessively in the OP case, but if you care about your dog... control your damn dog. I won't think twice about putting down a dog that attacks me or someone else. Humans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dogs. All day, every day.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:33 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Firearms, hockey sticks, or fisted keys. Are any of them really that different when it comes to dealing with an out of control dog? I can't say that the cop did or didn't act pre-maturely/excessively in the OP case, but if you care about your dog... control your damn dog. I won't think twice about putting down a dog that attacks me or someone else. Humans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dogs. All day, every day.
Other countries have strict dog control laws and some also have breed specific laws.

Controlling your dog in public - GOV.UK

The main difference between the US and most of Europe or indeed the western world is that the police would just have got back in to the car and radioed for support from a police dig handling unit (K9).

Police dog handler have access to dog sprays, animal control poles, protective clothing etc in their vans and will are trained to deal with dangerous dogs.

Such officers go on regular raids to break up dog fighting rings or to confiscate dangerous dogs.

Similarly Animal Control (Dog Wardens) employed by the Local Authority will also deal with dangerous or stray dogs, as will animal and dog charities.

The idea that you just turn up and shoot the dog dead rather than at least trying to resolve the situation without resorting to firearms is just not good enough in my opinion, and I have seen far too many of these type of videos involving US Police shooting dogs. The Police response in many of these videos is outrageous, and it is very rare that the shooting can be justified.

US Police going in to neighbours gardens and shooting dogs or shooting relatively small dogs in peoples houses because they run towards them, I supposed at least this case was outside, although in reality the dog could have been saved if the police were less trigger happy and more willing to de-escalate situations.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-18-2022 at 03:41 AM..

Old 01-18-2022, 05:35 AM

59,035 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The cop was flipping out - screaming for the other officer to get in the car. He then shot that 8 month old puppy SIX times. Just really, really uncalled for and as someone up thread pointed out - it was dangerous to be unloading his service weapon like that on a residential sidewalk with people, homes and motorists nearby. One ricochet and he could have killed a person.

Yes, the owner shouldn't have let the dog run out like that. But come on. I normally sympathize with the police because I know they are doing a difficult job. But this was just so unnecessary.
" really uncalled for"

"NEVER call someone out when YOU have NEVER been in their shoes", as they say!

Old 01-18-2022, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Isn't it weird how mail carriers, who encounter dogs way more often than police, seem to be able to do so without resorting to BLAMBLAMBLAM?

Some US police departments really, really need to reel in their officers.
"Isn't it weird how mail carriers, who encounter dogs way more often than police,"

What world do you live in.

I have NEVER had a postman delver mail to my door, much less inside a fenced yard.

I did service work in homes and can tell you all sorts of bad stories about dogs.

What is YOUR experience?

Old 01-18-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There is almost always some sort of abusive treatment behind these scenarios. No way would a loyal, protective Dobie attack their owner like that. There is more to that story, guaranteed.
"guaranteed"

Sorry, you are NOT as smart as you think you are.

I constantly am amazed at how some claim to know EVERYTHING about situations they are never NOT involved in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies