Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 06:54 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Who is he to give his stupid opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 07:00 AM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Daily Mail....is trash.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:34 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Daily Mail....is trash.
The LA Times and may other 'news' organizations reported the same thing.
Sinema, Manchin slammed as Senate set to launch debate on voting bill

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...on-voting-bill

MLK's Family Presses Manchin, Sinema on Voting Rights Legislation, Filibuster

https://www.newsweek.com/mlks-family...buster-1670103

MLK Jr. would be ‘greatly disappointed’ by Senate inaction on voting reform, son says

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/mlk-jr-would-be-greatly-disappointed-by-senate-inaction-on-voting-reform-son-saysmlk-legacy

Old 01-18-2022, 12:37 PM

10,099 posts, read 7,767,103 times
Republicans will remember them for ages to come. They have literally helped save the country. For that, I'm sure most republicans are so thankful for. So what if MLK's relatives don't like it.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:38 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I think he has it backwards. History will not remember Martin Luther King Jr.'s son kindly for this race baiting routine.
i think you're correct.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:41 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
King's comments are from 1963.
In 1965 The Voting Rights Act was passed, and eliminating the Fillibuster wasn't needed. The Fillibuster provides needed checks and balances on our elected officials. The 1965 law was also held up in the Supreme Court as lawful, and constitutional. Proof that the system does work.

https://www.archives.gov/legislative...ng-rights-1965
I assume that I'm not the only one that notices the Dems are now lockstep referring to the filibuster as racist, and pretty openly equating anyone that doesn't want it done away with as being a racist.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:56 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Nobody has yet proven that any state in the union has a law that specifically disenfranchises anyone with regard to voting.

Therefore, nobody has yet proven that there is a right, or set thereof, that need(s) restored.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
when MLK was alive the right put the man under surveillance for communist subversive activities, anybody over age 60 can renumber the man was one of those destroying our country as described by the right, i do

"those beliefs" as you call them were the mans legacy, he lost much popular support for coming out against the Vietnam war the right is cherry picking its history once again
I think I've confused you.

The #Squad takes great delight not in furthering what is "accepted" universally as his positive legacy - his "I have a Dream" and others - but in now telling us that he had what we consider communist ideas, and that we should follow those too.

as to whether it was the "right" who did these things, I can only point to this:

https://www.liquisearch.com/lyndon_b..._controversies

Quote:
Johnson continued the FBI's wiretapping of Martin Luther King, Jr. that had been previously authorized by the Kennedy administration under Attorney General Robert Kennedy. As a result of listening to the FBI's tapes, remarks on King's personal lifestyle were made by several prominent officials, including Johnson, who once said that King was a "hypocritical preacher." Johnson also authorized the tapping of phone conversations of others, including the Vietnamese friends of a Nixon associate.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Nobody has yet proven that any state in the union has a law that specifically disenfranchises anyone with regard to voting.

Therefore, nobody has yet proven that there is a right, or set thereof, that need(s) restored.
It wasn't until McConnell gave his floor speech that the Republicans countered the disinformation and lies of this new Voting Rights Act.

Every time this is brought up I ask - what has the State of _______ done or proposed that would make voting harder than before March 2020?

No one has ever answered.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:11 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
'History will not remember them kindly': Martin Luther King Jr.'s son slams Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema
...Says the man who will not be remembered at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies