Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 11:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Are you OK with living under a dictatorship?
I choose to live in a country where local governments, counties, states and the federal government have the authority to make laws and impose consequences for failure to comply, regardless if I agree or not.

Woman was arrested for trespassing on private property.

She has been or will be released without bail.

Manhattan DA does not prosecute simple trespass.

She got her 15 minutes of fame and a $ few thousand off the crowd source funding page set up for defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 11:21 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,238,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
They don't have to show vaccine proof at the grocery store in NYC, only at "indoor public activities". Seems like the mandate discriminates unfairly to some businesses and not others?

I wouldn't be surprised if they next ban unvaxed from all grocery stores and shops. Why wouldn't they? When the fuss settles with this, the mandate is never going away, and they will claim need to expand it, since "it's working".
For gosh sakes, grocery stores were one of the FEW places you were allowed to visit when COVID was at its very worst. It's considered essential.

Bubba Gump's is NOT essential.

She was not discriminated against because of the wheelchair. She and several others who refused to show proof of vax were asked to leave. Y'all just want to complain.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:24 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
For gosh sakes, grocery stores were one of the FEW places you were allowed to visit when COVID was at its very worst. It's considered essential.

Bubba Gump's is NOT essential.

She was not discriminated against because of the wheelchair. She and several others who refused to show proof of vax were asked to leave. Y'all just want to complain.
And this was on purpose.
It was an act of civil disobedience where she wanted to, and was arrested to bring attention to her cause.
Everyone is happy here and got the outcome they were hoping for.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:26 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I choose to live in a country where local governments, counties, states and the federal government have the authority to make laws and impose consequences for failure to comply, regardless if I agree or not.

Woman was arrested for trespassing on private property.

She has been or will be released without bail.

Manhattan DA does not prosecute simple trespass.

She got her 15 minutes of fame and a $ few thousand off the crowd source funding page set up for defense.
You are willingly missing the point. You are going get the government you wish for. The one where you have no say, no voice, and will get to do only as you are told.

And AGAIN:

The funding page is for a nonprofit group. it does NOT go to HER. It says that SPECIFICALLY ON THE FUNDING PAGE

If you actually were informed about what you were posting you would know that.

Continuing to post a lie doesn't make it true.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:08 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yup, 100%.

Which is fine, civil disobedience. Some of the old hippies I admire went to prison during Vietnam. Some of them didn't pay taxes out of protest so they spent some time in the pen. They knew they were breaking the law and were ready to pay the consequences. Others dodged the draft. Instead of having sore feet like an 80-year-old grandmother though they just said nope, not going. Lock me up. Again, they knew the consequences of breaking the law and did it anyway.

For anti-vaxxers I can defintely see admiring someone who has the conviction to break a law they disagree with to make a point. That is the essence of civil disobedience. But like the old hippies I admire, one should not feel bad that they get arrested and do spend some time in prison. That's the distinction between civil disobedience and petty criminals. Someone with the conviction to break a law knowing the penalty because they strongly disagree with it is fine doing the time. A petty criminal generally is not.

Of course in this case we're talking NYC which is just catch and release. There is no penalty for trespassing on private property as, well NYC. Since there's no consequence it does kind of reduce the martyr value and it just becomes a media stunt. Anyone got the link to the eBegging fund that's assuredly already been set up?

Fake sore feet.

Signed off on because the doctor was a commercial tenant.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:15 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think you are right. Nobody in NYC will starve. If you ever read Jeannette Walls memoir, The Glass Castle, her mother tells her that her parents moved to NYC from West Virginia because it's easy to be homeless there.

Not saying being homeless is a good thing, she said preemptively.

I just heard that Seattle spent $50 million of federal pandemic money from the feds to buy three apartment buildings (with views of Puget Sound) for $50 million, $300k plus per unit, to house homeless people......and that with some of their pandemic money from the feds Los Angeles bought an apartment building for the homeless at a $580k per unit average.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:19 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You are willingly missing the point. You are going get the government you wish for. The one where you have no say, no voice, and will get to do only as you are told.

And AGAIN:

The funding page is for a nonprofit group. it does NOT go to HER. It says that SPECIFICALLY ON THE FUNDING PAGE

If you actually were informed about what you were posting you would know that.

Continuing to post a lie doesn't make it true.
And I'm sure it's a very transparent non-profit that doesn't spend more than 10% or so of donations on administrations and instead use 90% of the funds it receives for very admirable things and not paying anti-vaxxers to protest.

Reminds me of the crazy self-appointed advocate lady with an eBegger setup that setup outside the Laundrie house from the stretched out murder-suicide case. Good lady. Send Venmo or eBeggers so she can do good work advocating against domestic violence. Oh yeah, and uh ignore the fact that I have a criminal history of committing domestic violence. She had a definitely very reputable and fully transparent non-profit that didn't use 90% of its proceeds to pay her salary. Definitely not that.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:26 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
And I'm sure it's a very transparent non-profit that doesn't spend more than 10% or so of donations on administrations and instead use 90% of the funds it receives for very admirable things and not paying anti-vaxxers to protest. .
Why don't you check them out? They have their financials on their webpage.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:27 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I just heard that Seattle spent $50 million of federal pandemic money from the feds to buy three apartment buildings (with views of Puget Sound) for $50 million, $300k plus per unit, to house homeless people......and that with some of their pandemic money from the feds Los Angeles bought an apartment building for the homeless at a $580k per unit average.
That's actually pretty good.

In San Francisco they spent $60,000 a month to put some tents in a parking lot. Not too bad, right? Well, it was $60,000 per tent for a year. Even in San Francisco you culd just rent out some studio apartments for less than $5,000 a month.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:33 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The funny thing is the homeless don't like those apartments and prefer to live and party on the street. No rules!

I think law abiding lower-middle class people should be given those apartments, then let the homelss move into their inferior apartments which, if they trash them, won't be a major loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies