Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 09:29 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I grew up in the military, and would certainly call that a "privileged" way of life. For the children, anyway.

Crime was very uncommon, since there was a base guard station and no one off base could get on. We had decent housing, programs that involved the parents socially, a community where everyone belonged.

And now, I have USAA insurance. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
It's as if the experiences of military kids are varied, and shouldn't be lumped in together under the banner, "privileged."
Right? My sister's husband is military. While stationed in El Paso, the kids went to an elementary school surrounded by a 6' chain link fence topped with razor wire, and her autistic son came home with fingerprint bruises on his upper arms from being grabbed by a teacher. When her husband was sent to South Korea, the military wouldn't pay for families to relocate to that country, so she was a single-mother for two years and her husband wasn't present for the birth of one of their children. Hmmm... such priviledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 09:31 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I grew up in the military, and would certainly call that a "privileged" way of life. For the children, anyway.

Crime was very uncommon, since there was a base guard station and no one off base could get on. We had decent housing, programs that involved the parents socially, a community where everyone belonged.

And now, I have USAA insurance. ;D
Clara, wasn’t that about 50-60 years ago or so? FTR, I’m a little bit younger than you but crime was very uncommon in my area as well and we were not military, nor we’re we wealthy.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:31 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
What do they do about the Black and Hispanic kids whose parents are in the military? Are they privileged? Or not?

Old 01-21-2022, 09:32 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,230,685 times
Woke ruins everything. It never makes anything better.

But that is agenda.

Make up some sh*t then the wokesters will announce that they have 'uncovered' more inequity or whatever the word-salad term is for the day: here in this thread "privilege".

Wokesters will gnash their teeth and flail their hands upwards in feigned outrage at this newly uncovered social injustice - then like termites destroy the structure they themselves live in.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:35 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,899,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What do they do about the Black and Hispanic kids whose parents are in the military? Are they privileged? Or not?

Uuuuummmm.....errrrrrr........ugggghhhhhhhh......J ANUARY 6th!!!!!

Old 01-21-2022, 09:51 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Right? My sister's husband is military. While stationed in El Paso, the kids went to an elementary school surrounded by a 6' chain link fence topped with razor wire, and her autistic son came home with fingerprint bruises on his upper arms from being grabbed by a teacher. When her husband was sent to South Korea, the military wouldn't pay for families to relocate to that country, so she was a single-mother for two years and her husband wasn't present for the birth of one of their children. Hmmm... such priviledge.
I was deployed overseas for the birth of all of my children.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:54 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Right? My sister's husband is military. While stationed in El Paso, the kids went to an elementary school surrounded by a 6' chain link fence topped with razor wire, and her autistic son came home with fingerprint bruises on his upper arms from being grabbed by a teacher. When her husband was sent to South Korea, the military wouldn't pay for families to relocate to that country, so she was a single-mother for two years and her husband wasn't present for the birth of one of their children. Hmmm... such privilege.
When the military sends us overseas for two or three years it's called 'unaccompanied' and you cannot bring your family, that really hurts.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:26 AM

19,623 posts, read 12,218,208 times
At least the minority kids of military families get a shot at the privileged badge of dishonor.

They are really narrowing down the criteria of who is privileged.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:54 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
How about if, rather than playing stupid games like "privilege bingo" in an English class, we teach ENGLISH? How about that? Novel idea? I mean, for crying out loud, I'm far from a perfect grammarian, but some of the writing I see from the younger set is absolutely abysmal. And I wonder what they are teaching in math class? Certainly not math, I'd assume!

Old 01-21-2022, 11:06 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,230,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
How about if, rather than playing stupid games like "privilege bingo" in an English class, we teach ENGLISH? How about that? Novel idea? I mean, for crying out loud, I'm far from a perfect grammarian, but some of the writing I see from the younger set is absolutely abysmal. And I wonder what they are teaching in math class? Certainly not math, I'd assume!
Math is racist.

Correction is a demonstration of white supremacy

It is acceptable to have more than one answer to a problem.

All described in this teacher 'resource' book adopted by many woke school districts around the US
A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction
https://www.verityweekly.com/wp-cont...on-640x454.jpg

And.....the US falls further behind other nations in the instruction in the basics - but hey we are WOKE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies