Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 03:28 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times

Advertisements

Child labor is bad because the brain is uniquely plastic during that time and can learn much more easily. It is time best spent in school learning more valuable skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 03:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Child labor is bad because the brain is uniquely plastic during that time and can learn much more easily. It is time best spent in school learning more valuable skills.
What school are you talking about? What would the children eat if they have to go to the imaginary school?

Old 01-22-2022, 03:38 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You are completely in conflict with the basic rules of economics.
The issue is that you cannot imagine an economic system outside of the one that has existed in America for just forty years.

The idea of having domestic producers, a national identity, small communities, and cultural preservation does not compute with your vocabulary.

All you see is an economic union of individuals looking to get ahead. The problem is once this economic union faces social pressure it will fall apart.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:12 PM

1,014 posts, read 786,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Take a look at Chinese restaurants everywhere. They all employ their kids. Kids get to see their family business run, the ins and outs, promotes them being an entrepreneur later.

Guess what, same ****ing thing happened to me. I was employed on our family construction business, led me to be very entrepreneurial. And oh ya I’ve got a masters so I didn’t skimp on the indoctrination route either.
I remember going to this one Chinese restaurant and the kid was probably younger then 12 taking orders and running the cash register. A cook yelled at him and he was crying i felt so bad for the kid.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:24 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
That’s all fine and dandy and certainly feel good except for the said children must now sell themselves into prostitution, eat off garbage dump or die. The idea that those children have better alternatives is not only condescending, but also completely out of the touch with the real world.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Where (what part of the world) are you talking about?

I am confused. Are you really saying a childhood spent in labor is preferable to a childhood spent in education? What is your topic really about?

Old 01-22-2022, 06:27 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I've actually talked with quite a few people from poor nations who say sweat shops are far preferred to other available options. After Burma had a bunch of sweat shop factories shut down due to sanctions thousands of women became prostitutes shipped around the world like cattle.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Where (what part of the world) are you talking about?

I am confused. Are you really saying a childhood spent in labor is preferable to a childhood spent in education? What is your topic really about?
Outside America and western Europe, where people don't have cakes to eat or schools to go to.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I've actually talked with quite a few people from poor nations who say sweat shops are far preferred to other available options. After Burma had a bunch of sweat shop factories shut down due to sanctions thousands of women became prostitutes shipped around the world like cattle.
Who cares? At least America doesn't have to buy crap made from sweatshops, and we can show them how virtuous we are.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:46 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,462,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Every vote for a Democrat is a vote for globalism, which supports sweatshops and child labor. As usual, Democrats are on the wrong side of human decency.

What is the alternative? The GOP are just controlled opposition.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:06 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Child labour is damaging to a child’s physical, social, mental, psychological and spiritual development because it is work performed at too early an age. Child labour deprives children of their childhood and their dignity. They are deprived of an education and may be separated from their families.
So is starvation, malnutrition and homelessness. Bad as child labor is, these jobs offer an opportunity for survival in some nations. As those nations grow and the families have other options, these practices will go away, just as they did here a century plus ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies