Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 05:13 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times

Advertisements

I'm not so sure chocolate is safe.

I worked in BSLs 1, 2 and 3 - but maybe lucky I never worked in the BSL 4 lab at the local NIAID.

https://universe84a.com/collection/h...unezae-colony/

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 01-22-2022 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 05:22 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Exactly! This is why the whole thing is so ridiculous to me. There is no reason for this nonsense. It's time everyone started ignoring the few loons who actually complain about the shoes on a piece of candy in a commercial instead of trying to make them happy. You can never make people who find this sort of thing to complain about happy. It's impossible.
Its stupid to advertise it. Just do it.

Old 01-22-2022, 05:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know, a part of me thinks Mars is just trolling the woke crowd and laughing at the controversy being created.

I can't recall anyone ever mentioning these characters as being 'offensive' at any time, even during the heights of wokeness the past few years.

Unless this company has a history of such behavior....
a part of you wants to believe that nothing this inane would be done in the name of "woke".

As the article mentions, Mars had supposedly gotten some complaints about Ms Green's white "sexy boots". So, never underestimate the lack of humor or context/meaningful measure among the woke crowd.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:49 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
[quote=ncguy50;62751871]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Somehow John Betjeman's poem about Slough seems extremely apt to the thread.

Slough - John Betjeman

Here's my new guts for your poem:

And find the geriatric politico
Fifty years of principles? Well, no.
Who closes his eyes and smiles
every time he sniffs a little girl's hair.

And smash his imaginary society,
of false promises and false piety.
And notice his vacant eyes,
right before he yells "C'mon Man!"

I like it. This seems "apt".
Wow. Didn't know trench foot could spread to poetic feet, but you learn something new every day.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:23 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Meh. I'm pretty sure that it was all created by some advertising agency, who presented it to the decision-makers at Mars, who okayed it. But those decision-makers don't actually make the delicious candy, or have any hand in the recipes, and likely have never been on the candy factory floor.

I don't care how Mars Inc advertises its products. They don't really need to advertise, because they're too darn good to give up. If Mars Inc stopped all advertising, I'd still buy my weekly supply of M&Ms Peanut.
This is fundamentally the problem here, isn't it? We didn't quit on chocolate when we learned about sugar leading to health issues, why would Mars Candy think we care about "wokeness?" M&M's really are too good to give up.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:09 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its stupid to advertise it. Just do it.
It got their name out there and got people talking about it. That's what they wanted

Old 01-22-2022, 08:54 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
“Forced?â€

There are millions of ways to avoid this “lunacy†as you call it.
I watch a lot of TV. Until I saw this thread, I knew nothing about this. Hasn’t been reported on my local news, haven’t seen a single “woke†commercial or any other media regarding this topic other than this thread.

In any event, specific to the thread title, has Mars, Inc. stopped making candy?
I’m pretty sure if that was the case, that I’d have heard about.

It's amusing what righties choose to get worked up about. This is maybe eyeroll worthy but nothing more.

M&M commercials will still be silly like they always have been... except the green ones won't be wearing go go boots anymore.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:13 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Honestly freedom of expression and tolerance for differences is one of the things I generally agree with progressives on. It's the total disregard for traditional values, lack of tolerance, identity politics, wokeness, and cancel culture that I disagree with. Plus the welfare state, mismanagement of large cities with lax on crime policies, and the general rewarding of bad behavior and pushing of this victim mentality where blacks specifically are somehow oppressed by big whitey, when plenty of immigrants (including from Africa) come here legally and excel.

The one thing I notice... they are much more well mannered than their American counterparts. I supposed when they come from harsh countries and are grateful to have what they have instead of being born with handouts in their mouth and an entitled mentality... simple human psychology here.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m-ms-ch...e-progressive/

Honestly.....this is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time.

Okay, first off let me just say that I believe that I am generally a fairly sane individual. I mean sure, I know we all have our little quirks which make us unique (slightly crazy) but for the most part my marbles remain in a nice neat pile in my head. And for some reason, just reading this story makes me feel as if I'm listening to someone drag nails across a chalkboard.

How on earth did we, as a society, get to this point? Have we truly reached a point in our lives where stuff like this is worthy of our attention? Does this not strike the rest of you as utter insanity on the part of Mars, Incorporated? And if it does seem as insane to you as it does to me, then you must also realize this insane response to a non-existent problem was brought on by a group of even more insane people who actually had a problem with cartoon candy people!!!!!

What the hell is going on!!!! How can we ever fix any of our very real problems in this country when people are focusing their attention on ridiculous issues like this? M&M's are candy people. That's all they will ever be. And if you are actually crazy enough to let the shoes a cartoon candy character is wearing bother you, then you should absolutely seek professional help.

PS. I'm sorry for the rant. But I truly can not express just how sick I am of seeing stories like this. We have so many real problems in the world. It just makes me sick to think people are wasting their time on ridiculous issues like these.
I don't understand what there is to fear or get upset over it, unless you dearly fear that some people will get influenced by messages that candy is sending out that you don't agree with. I'm not concerned about it myself. If Mars thinks doing that is a marketing mistake, then they will simply pull it. I seldom buy Mars candy since I don't need the extra weight with the pandemic.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:27 AM

19,386 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m-ms-ch...e-progressive/

Honestly.....this is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time.

Okay, first off let me just say that I believe that I am generally a fairly sane individual. I mean sure, I know we all have our little quirks which make us unique (slightly crazy) but for the most part my marbles remain in a nice neat pile in my head. And for some reason, just reading this story makes me feel as if I'm listening to someone drag nails across a chalkboard.

How on earth did we, as a society, get to this point? Have we truly reached a point in our lives where stuff like this is worthy of our attention? Does this not strike the rest of you as utter insanity on the part of Mars, Incorporated? And if it does seem as insane to you as it does to me, then you must also realize this insane response to a non-existent problem was brought on by a group of even more insane people who actually had a problem with cartoon candy people!!!!!

What the hell is going on!!!! How can we ever fix any of our very real problems in this country when people are focusing their attention on ridiculous issues like this? M&M's are candy people. That's all they will ever be. And if you are actually crazy enough to let the shoes a cartoon candy character is wearing bother you, then you should absolutely seek professional help.

PS. I'm sorry for the rant. But I truly can not express just how sick I am of seeing stories like this. We have so many real problems in the world. It just makes me sick to think people are wasting their time on ridiculous issues like these.
Lol! No, you're not alone. That's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know, a part of me thinks Mars is just trolling the woke crowd and laughing at the controversy being created.

I can't recall anyone ever mentioning these characters as being 'offensive' at any time, even during the heights of wokeness the past few years.

Unless this company has a history of such behavior....
Yeah, I can't help but think the same about all of this. I mean, I do think it's being used for purposes, but man, give us a break once in a while. Some of you are bizarre. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies