Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 08:20 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Looking optimistic they'll get rid of AA.

https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court...144730284.html

Quote:
The Supreme Court agreed Monday to hear challenges to the admissions process at Harvard and University of North Carolina, presenting the most serious threat in decades to the use of affirmative action by the nation's public and private colleges and universities.

Despite similar challenges, the court has repeatedly upheld affirmative action in the past. But two liberal justices who were key to those decisions are gone — Anthony Kennedy and Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Their replacements, Trump appointees Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett are conservative and considered less likely to find the practice constitutional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 08:22 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
It’s too late. NASA is a perfect example of the scope of this AA disaster. They have to contract out the majority of the engineering. An agency that I thought was infallible when I was a kid.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:47 AM

1,866 posts, read 934,031 times
I finished college in 2013 at a major university in the mid-west -- it was not a challenge at all.
It was extremely easy, the assignments were a breeze, there was nothing that was really all that difficult. I could loaf around most of the time and finish all my assignments at the last minute and still graduated with a 3.8 GPA. I honestly thought high school was more difficult.

The majority of colleges and universities have been dumbed-down.
As a result, there is an over-abundance of college degree holders which has caused the value of a degree to decrease dramatically. In many colleges today, simply completing an assignment will get you an automatic A.
Some professors aren't even grading for quality of work.

The bar has been lowered greatly.
And on top of that, merit is thrown out the window in favor of diversity.
And the bar has to be lowered so some of those minorities can get degrees.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:47 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It’s too late. NASA is a perfect example of the scope of this AA disaster. They have to contract out the majority of the engineering. An agency that I thought was infallible when I was a kid.
They contract out because of the budget for NASA to less than 1% of annual spending, space is expensive. They do like most of the Government does now which makes sense to me given the politics.

Imagine a story that comes out tomorrow that states: NASA hires 100 engineers and 200+ staff and planned expansion in Alabama, Texas, and Florida. Republicans and people here would obliterate the initiative as bloated spending, government waste, and more government workers draining the coffers and being lazy employees. But that is what NASA would need to do unless it contracts out the work.

Also, I imagine the "Space Force" will take up most of the duties of NASA on the military / Government business side. NASA will eventually become the FAA of space.

But if you outsource it you avoid all that negative press and politicians (especially Republican politicians) like it because no "Government workers" were added and people for some reason do not respond to headlines of expensive government "contracts" like they do "government workers". Which is funny considering Federal contracts usually budget in the pay scale and insurance coverage in the contracts that the feds would give anyway.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:48 AM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
AA is just another word for discrimination.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:49 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Isnt Harvard private?

IE different than UNC.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:53 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Looking optimistic they'll get rid of AA.

https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court...144730284.html
It's about DAMN time!

AA is the DIRECT opposite of "EQUAL rights"!

Old 01-24-2022, 09:00 AM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It was and employed some of the brightest Americans.
Now NASA relies on SpaceX.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:09 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I will never forget the news broadcasts about so many students at Yale who were upset over Halloween costumes and were at an administrator as a way of showing an extreme lack of respect https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...ch-there-again. * It was about this time that the term "snowflakes" became part of the general vocabulary.

What struck me was that the students protesting the e-mail that was in support of free expression but asked for sensitivity in choosing costumes were so obviously not the sort of people who would have been admitted to universities of any kind until fairly recently, meaning that they seemed to me to be of just average intelligence. So, in my mind, not only were they probably admitted primarily due to AA, but they apparently had no appreciation for their good fortune.

*This is the video that went viral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiMVx2C5_Wg&t=1234s

Old 01-24-2022, 09:15 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Academy admission should be based of grade not based the color of your skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies