Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2022, 02:09 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
I've been hovering over this thread for a while due to the simplistic nature of the debate over the Civil War (sarc). In regards to Lincolns views towards slavery here is a letter written by Lincoln to his best friend Joshua Speed who came from the largest slave plantation in Louisville Ky discussing this subject. This is in his own words..

Abraham Lincoln's 1855 Letter to Joshua Speed

Lincoln supported the constitution but like many he never supported slavery.
I love this quote in the letter

Quote:
I am not a Know-Nothing. That is certain. How could I be? How can any one who abhors the oppression of negroes, be in favor or degrading classes of white people? Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy [sic].
How prophetic

Old 02-05-2022, 02:09 PM

13,444 posts, read 4,287,635 times
Quote:
Lincoln supported the constitution but like many he never supported slavery.

Just like abortions on demand today. Funny, when he took the oath of the constitution he decided to defend all laws and all declarations by the U.S. Supreme Court that in 1857 declared slavery legal.

He had a choice to NOT push the Corwin Amendment, offer to buy all the slave like the world did or let them go. He decided to wage war on millions of people that didn't want to be in the same country with his side and he used the Corwin Amendment to keep them in the union for profits and keep happy all the parties that benefit from it. When even the Corwin Amendment didn't force them back, he waged war.

Sorry, he doesn't get a pass or be painted as a moral crusader. He wasn't. I don't care how today they paint him to be this person with poems. He was a killer and the reason was economic domination.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Just like abortions on demand today. Funny, when he took the oath of the constitution he decided to defend all laws and all declarations by the U.S. Supreme Court that in 1857 declared slavery legal.

He had a choice to NOT push the Corwin Amendment or let them go. He decided to wage war on millions of people that didn't want to be in the same country with his side and he used the Corwin Amendment to keep them in the union for profits and keep happy all the parties that benefit from it. When even the Corwin Amendment didn't force them back, he waged war.

Sorry, he doesn't get a pass or be painted as a moral crusader. He wasn't.
I am just pointing out those were in his own words to one of his best friends who happened to be a slave holder. Hearing it straight from the horses mouth is more powerful than someone's extrapolation of the Corwin Amendment.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I am just pointing out those were in his own words to one of his best friends who happened to be a slave holder. Hearing it straight from the horses mouth is more powerful than someone's extrapolation of the Corwin Amendment.
Sorry, you weren't there or I about letters. This is just propaganda written by the victors. His so call letter doesn't go with his true actions when he was in power.

He had a choice of rejecting the Corwin Amendment and buying all the slaves like the world has done or let them go (states). He didn't do any of that. He instead waged a war to keep them by force in the country. He was a glorified killer. His so call letters doesn't impress me like every King and Tyrant that did exactly what he did.

He doesn't get a pass, he made matters much worse.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:26 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
STOP the B.S.! Everything that Lincoln did to end slavery was during the war when he knew they wouldn't return. It was a war tactic to destroy their economy to win the war and keep the Union by force. He ignored slavery in the 4 slave states in the Union.
Lincoln had no authority to end slavery in the Union states. Everyone understands that except you, I guess. He freed the slaves in the South as Commander in Chief as it was technically under martial law. A questionable act legally, and mainly symbolic.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Lincoln had no authority to end slavery in the Union states. Everyone understands that except you, I guess. He freed the slaves in the South as Commander in Chief as it was technically under martial law. A questionable act legally, and mainly symbolic.
He had no authority to buy the slaves? he had no authority to reject the Corwin Amendment? but he had the authority to waged war on millions of people and suspend writ of habeas corpus Thanks for the laugh!

Old 02-05-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry, you weren't there or I about letters. This is just propaganda written by the victors. His so call letter doesn't go with his true actions when he was in power.

He had a choice of rejecting the Corwin Amendment and buying all the slaves like the world has done or let them go (states). He didn't do any of that. He instead waged a war to keep them by force in the country. He was a glorified killer. His so call letters doesn't impress me like every King and Tyrant that did exactly what he did.

He doesn't get a pass, he made matters much worse.
I've researched this subject a bit. Lincoln, like me grew up in an area that is now called "Kentuckiana". It's the border south and it was critical for the union to keep the region loyal, it was teetering at the time of the Corwin Amendment, so Lincoln was basically walking on eggshells.. Here is an original letter that Lincoln sent to State Governors

https://www.lib.niu.edu/2006/ih060934.html

He didn't endorse or oppose the amendment.....at this stage he was merely holding on to the border slave states especially Kentucky. Lincoln knew that if Kentucky seceded that the Union would not be able to preserve itself. You need to understand the environment this was happening in. There are many letters and speeches that document his views on slavery. you can visit the Filson Historical Society in Louisville where many of these documents are preserved.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
He didn't endorse or oppose the amendment.....at this stage he was mere holding on to the border slave states especially Kentucky. Lincoln knew that if Kentucky seceded that the Union would not be able to preserve itself. You need to understand the environment this was happening in. There are many letters and speeches that document his views on slavery. you can visit the Filson Historical Society in Louisville where many of these documents are preserved.
I guess he was neutral now. He pushed the amendment to the governors before war broke out but now you read that he was neutral? The Act passed by a majority in the North from his party but Lincoln was the minority in the party and stayed neutral? ok, I guess he is excuse.

You know the Corwin Amendment was named after a REPUBLICAN from the North and passed by the Republican party in the North.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:51 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
he had no authority to reject the Corwin Amendment?]
No. The President has no role to play in passing or rejecting a Constitutional Amendment. If Congress passes an amendment by 2/3 majority, it then goes to the states for ratification. If 3/4 of states ratify. it then becomes part of the Constitution.

The Corwin Amendment was a last-ditch effort to persuade the southern states not to secede. It passed bot houses by 2/3, but was only ratified by 5 states.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I guess he was neutral now. He pushed the amendment to the governors before war broke out but now you read that he was neutral? The Act passed by a majority in the North from his party but Lincoln was the minority in the party and stayed neutral? ok, I guess he is excuse.
You simply don't understand the politics of the day on this subject. I have researched this subject for decades. As I stated he could not afford to lose the slave states that chose to remain loyal or the union would have dissolved. The primary argument for states like Kentucky to stay loyal to the union was that the Federal Govt and the constitution would be the best protector of those states slave based labor systems. At the time Louisville KY was the largest slave trading city in the country, it constituted approx 20% of the city's total GDP, KY had 225,000 slaves (adjusted for inflation that would represent $4.5 Billion in a state that had less than a third of its population today). It was a value that was greater than all the banks, factories and railroads combined. Lincoln was walking on a knifes edge, any hint at that time of emancipation would have pushed the border states out of the union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies