Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 02:20 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I did listen to what the doctors said. Did you???

The vaccine typically causes swelling in the heart (usually temporary for most people no big deal right?)

But in DJs case he can NOT afford for his heart to swell any more than it already is right now.

He is at extremely high risk of sudden death if it does.

We have had many conversations with the doctors, who confirmed that his heart COULD swell and go into severe crisis but they can't guarantee anything and it's a choice we will have to make if he wants to be listed.

Are those doctors his transplant team? Seems not.

Additionally, I'm curious as to why he didn't get vaccinated a year ago when his condition was theoretically less severe. All of those I know who either have a transplant or were on the transplant list went in phase 1.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:24 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
He has an 80% chance of surviving COVID post transplant

Did you know that 75% of patients given remdesivir DIED? 75% mortality rate. They gave it to patients like candy, though, in spite of the fact that 75% died.

He has an 80% chance of surviving COVID. He is a severely HIGH RISK of dying from swelling from the vaccine.

Which do you think is the better option?
I don't think those numbers are correct. But, as for the Remdesivir, they were at first giving that to people who were already at death's door. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the overall number of patients who got it had a high mortality rate. I don't see anything to show he was at a severely high risk of dying from the vaccine. A logical though not "warm and fuzzy" way to look at it is that if he gets the heart and then dies of COVID we lose the heart. If he gets vaccinated and things don't go well, then at least we still have the heart.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 01-25-2022, 02:26 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
This Plandemic has been a political power play from the beginning.
Doesn't matter if you want to call it a pLandemic or political. Fact is this virus has killed a lot of people WORLDWIDE... it is not a USA political issue. Fact is the unvaccinated person being discussed in this thread will probably die. That is sad, not political.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:28 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Additionally, I'm curious as to why he didn't get vaccinated a year ago when his condition was theoretically less severe. All of those I know who either have a transplant or were on the transplant list went in phase 1.
It's clear from your comment that you do not know what his family has stated about his medical condition, making any further discussion absolutely pointless.

No worries. Have a good evening.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Seems to me that this was (literally) the hill the 31-year old chose to die on. It's sad given that he's got children, but this isn't the first foolish person who will die because they refused the vaccine, certainly won't be the last.

Meanwhile, I wonder if the anti-vaxxers are waiting for the vaccinated to start manifesting all the bonkers illnesses and afflictions from the vaccine that their "research" warned them about. They might be getting annoyed that the "sheep" who chose to vaccinate aren't all falling out with vaccine-related illnesses, sterility, and death. All the gnashing of teeth we were hearing about since over a year ago when they first started vaccinating - it's been so...anti-climactic.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:32 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't think those numbers are correct. But, as for the Remdesivir, they were at first giving that to people who were already at death's door. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the overall number of patients who got it had a high mortality rate. I don't see anything to show he was at a severely high risk of dying from the vaccine. A logical though not "warm and fuzzy" way to look at it is that if he gets the heart and then dies of COVID we lose the heart. If he gets vaccinated and things don't go well, then at least we still have the heart.
OK, but the baseline risk of death for a Covid-infected person in his age group is 0.08% (per the CDC). Can anyone quantify how much the transplant increases the risk (or even better, give separate probabilities of survival vaxxed versus not vaxxed)? Even if the transplant makes Covid 30x more deadly to him, he's still 97.6% likely to survive. That isn't good enough? That's cause for concern that we're wasting a heart?

I respect the competing concerns and the need for doctors to follow their protocols, I'm just trying to get a better handle on what exactly we expect the vaccine to do in terms of risk reduction in a case such as this.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:36 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
OK, but the baseline risk of death for a Covid-infected person in his age group is 0.08% (per the CDC). Can anyone quantify how much the transplant increases the risk (or even better, give separate probabilities of survival vaxxed versus not vaxxed)? Even if the transplant makes Covid 30x more deadly to him, he's still 97.6% likely to survive. That isn't good enough? That's cause for concern that we're wasting a heart?

I respect the competing concerns and the need for doctors to follow their protocols, I'm just trying to get a better handle on what exactly we expect the vaccine to do in terms of risk reduction in a case such as this.
Congratulations, you've provided a perfect example of why a layperson cannot be expected to synthesize medical data appropriately.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:38 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
It's clear from your comment that you do not know what his family has stated about his medical condition, making any further discussion absolutely pointless.

No worries. Have a good evening.

Why would I trust his family? I trust his transplant team and the system in place to make the dispersal of limited organs as equitable and with as high a chance of success as possible.

I have friends who waited years to get a kidney or lungs. One lost her first set of lungs because she had a minor cold on the day of transplant - down the list it went. My dad is on the transplant list. The list of things he can and can't do to remain on that list is lengthy, but it's worth it to him because he wants to remain on the list.

The unfortunate reality is that not everyone is eligible for an organ transplant. An average of one person an hour dies waiting for an organ, and that doesn't include people who have been removed from the list because they are not vaccinated, can't stop drinking, or their BMI is too high.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:43 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
OK, but what's the marginal benefit of this vaccine in a 31-year-old heart transplant patient with no other conditions? It increases his chances of not dying from a respiratory illness by what, 40 percentage points? Fifteen? Two? A tenth? Three thousandths? It's not evident to me that anyone on here has any real idea.
That's not how organ recipient triage works. Likelihood of survival is predicated on the patient's willingness to follow the care plan. People with a history of non-compliance with prescribed treatment are not going to be considered. It's the same as liver patients who drink, heart recipients who smoke. The protocol doesn't care if it's one drink or one cigarette. It is an indicator that they won't follow post-transplant care instructions.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:46 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
A logical though not "warm and fuzzy" way to look at it is that if he gets the heart and then dies of COVID we lose the heart. If he gets vaccinated and things don't go well, then at least we still have the heart.
That's a great point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies