Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2022, 05:47 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It isn't like that. Neil Young is 76 and sold his rights similar to a contemporary Bob Dylan who did so at 80. Also many artists started doing it during the pandemic when touring money dried up. Also album sales have dried up and it is all streaming. Maybe a few make a deal with Sirius XM and host a station or a show, but the money from streaming is much less than the downloads from 10 years ago. Some of it was also fears of changes in tax law. I think the "expensive habits" is just making them look like elites...

Please read this: https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/fea...ights-1114580/
Neil is 76... and that's what's called getting there the hard way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 05:48 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
In detail what was the false information Young was talking about again? 'misinformation' is over used and lacks detail. Can Young or others cite a doctor, study or existing practice/medicine to back up their claims of misinformation.
In all honesty....doesn't matter.

Young had a business relationship with Spotify. He doesn't want to be associated with a company that has someone like Rogan doing podcasts (be clear I'm not debating the merits of Rogan etc....that's not the point).

So Young publicly said --- he goes or I do. Spotify said -- here's the door Neil.

None of that is censorship, that's someone who is choosing to do business or not do business with someone based on their ideology.

People post here all the time about who they don't watch, listen to, support because of political differences.

It's freedom.

Spotify is not a huge money maker for musicians. They just don't pay enough for each song for it to be a money maker. So Young can safely walk. Spotify's biggest audience is not Young listeners so they can easily say goodbye.

Spotify was in their right to show Joni and Neil the door. Joni and Neil have the right to pick and choose who they do business with.

And Rogan can continue to be Rogan..

Old 01-29-2022, 05:51 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I like his music but I am 67. The Weekend has 85 million and Justin Bieber has about 80 million. This me interested in seeing where others I like stand.
Newer acts will probably have more listeners than any older acts as younger audiences are more apt to stream their music. Plus, there is no accounting for taste.

Even the Beatles "only" have 25 million monthly listeners. Meanwhile, one of my favorite newer bands has 120,000 listeners and they are fantastic.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Now, thinking about this, for a minute, should Spotify, at least, put up a disclaimer before the Rogan program(s) in question, instead of just dropping Young? That move, at least, alleviates concerns that Spotify, itself, agrees with spreading misinformation, and allows allows Spotify to keep Rogan (while disclaiming him!) and keep Young's music.
I think it is rather known that a platform doesn't have to fully agree with the views expressed by its content providers. The main reason why Facebook or YouTube pull say Diamond and Silk is because they do something that breaks TOS. Is abuse of TOS treated equally, no. Many places don't for that matter. Spotify is a bit different since that server has some high money deals, namely the Rogan deal. Because of that, unless they pay an out clause, it maybe harder to drop Rogan from their platform like we saw with Diamond and Silk.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:58 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In all honesty....doesn't matter.

Young had a business relationship with Spotify. He doesn't want to be associated with a company that has someone like Rogan doing podcasts (be clear I'm not debating the merits of Rogan etc....that's not the point).

So Young publicly said --- he goes or I do. Spotify said -- here's the door Neil.

None of that is censorship, that's someone who is choosing to do business or not do business with someone based on their ideology.

People post here all the time about who they don't watch, listen to, support because of political differences.

It's freedom.

Spotify is not a huge money maker for musicians. They just don't pay enough for each song for it to be a money maker. So Young can safely walk. Spotify's biggest audience is not Young listeners so they can easily say goodbye.

Spotify was in their right to show Joni and Neil the door. Joni and Neil have the right to pick and choose who they do business with.

And Rogan can continue to be Rogan..
"It's Freedom" yes, but it's not a freedom Neil and Joni want others to enjoy.

To them, it's "Do as I do, believe as I do, and choose the health care decision that I chose, or I am not going to associate with you and I want the silencing of anyone that has views on this that differ from my own". As if they have any authority on the matter.

Good riddance. To be honest, Neil and Joni's music is not among my favorites. But even so, if artists that I really do enjoy decide to go this route, good riddance to them too.

One good thing about music. More of it can always be made.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Before all this hoopla, I had no idea who Neil Young or Joe Rogan even were.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:17 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
"It's Freedom" yes, but it's not a freedom Neil and Joni want others to enjoy.

To them, it's "Do as I do, believe as I do, and choose the health care decision that I chose, or I am not going to associate with you and I want the silencing of anyone that has views on this that differ from my own". As if they have any authority on the matter.

Good riddance. To be honest, Neil and Joni's music is not among my favorites. But even so, if artists that I really do enjoy decide to go this route, good riddance to them too.

One good thing about music. More of it can always be made.
Yeah because the right never wants to tell people how to live

Old 01-29-2022, 06:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Before all this hoopla, I had no idea who Neil Young or Joe Rogan even were.
Way to make me feel old! One of my favorite concerts I ever went to was Neil Young unplugged at the Orpheum in Boston somewhere in the 1999/2000 timeframe.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:30 PM

5,725 posts, read 2,190,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Before he took his toys and went home, he had six million monthly listeners on Spotify, so someone was listening.
Joe gets more than that each episode.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:31 PM

5,725 posts, read 2,190,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
In detail what was the false information Young was talking about again? 'misinformation' is over used and lacks detail. Can Young or others cite a doctor, study or existing practice/medicine to back up their claims of misinformation.
He can’t name any, misinformation I’d just a vague label used to censor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies