Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2022, 09:56 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have no doubt whatsoever that there is more than one black woman qualified to be on the Supreme Court...there are probably100. The thing is, Biden will just nominate whomever he is told to, without regard for who is the most qualified. The Dems want liberal judges, period, and they do not care about the consequences to the constitution or the country.
I just can’t see the math of excluding 90-95% of the qualified candidates before even considering them and saying it’s good for the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IMO, the SCOTUS should reflect the demographics of the nation.

Tell me how one would know the most qualified person in the country. What defines qualified?
Sounds like a great reason for the Republicans to go to the mattresses and block, block, block until after the mid terms. That kind of thinking is worth a war in government. The republic is in danger.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:58 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It wasn`t this way for 200 years but now the shoe is on the other foot. How does it feel?
you know, it's interesting. We should probably teach about the history of Black people in the US. A quick google shows a LOT of information - such as the fact that Blacks had state voting rights in some places, and of course that Blacks (males) were given citizenship and the right to vote after the Civil War (a little under 100 years). Not every state had Jim Crow laws and practices.

I wonder how Title VI of the Civil Rights Act applies here. And whether the ACLU will lead the charge.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:59 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Biden is looking for Black and Woman. Whether or not they are qualified doesn't seem to be entering the picture.
It's a given that any Black woman nominated will be left leaning.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It wasn`t this way for 200 years but now the shoe is on the other foot. How does it feel?
Is skin color that important to you ? What about qualifications ?

The head of HHS is a lawyer with no medical background.
BUT..he's Latino and that's all that seems to matter.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Biden is going to pick someone based mainly on race, that much is almost assured.

Will it be a blatant statement that clearly makes race the biggest factor.....nope.

That is how to cover tracks, do it for racial-reasons, but talk like race had little to nothing
to do with the decision.
he's already made the crystal clear statement, and Psaki backed it up yesterday.

Race and gender are clearly Protected Classes.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IMO, the SCOTUS should reflect the demographics of the nation.

Tell me how one would know the most qualified person in the country. What defines qualified?
SCOTUS should be blind to the demographics of the people.
Skin color, gender, ethnic background should not even be part of the discussion.

“The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.”
— Chief Justice John Roberts

Old 01-27-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How does it feel to you? The court will go down in quality again. A win?
you appear to misunderstand. You are implying that a "Black woman" would be a lesser candidate.

I would say that a Black woman may be the best candidate.

But you cannot choose or eliminate candidates based purely on favoring or disfavoring protected classes.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:05 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I'm still trying to figure out how ½ Indian & ½ Jamaican = African American.

But, I'm no mathematician.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
you appear to misunderstand. You are implying that a "Black woman" would be a lesser candidate.

I would say that a Black woman may be the best candidate.

But you cannot choose or eliminate candidates based purely on favoring or disfavoring protected classes.
The point was eliminating 95% of qualified candidates at the start. There is no doubt the quality of the court is going down, it’s mathematically certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies