Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 05:44 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I just hope they don’t damage our environment.
I see soldiers doing soldier things all the time off of I-5 when I am near the Camp Pendleton Area.

They don’t seem eco friendly there.
Why would they be eco friendly here?

Do we really want our virgin shores to be trampled and polluted ?
There must be a few hundred ways that they can leave oil or lead here when they are done.

I don’t trust them enough to leave it better than when they arrived.
They have different a different set rules than the Boy Scouts.
So it’s a big no for me.
Many in special operations roles are avid outdoorsmen. For what its worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 05:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
Oh goodness no D.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:03 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
If we could view it would be fun I’d have to admit.

Didn’t mean to sound like a downer guys.
I apologize for that.

I know we left a lot of lead and gunk where I was stationed at.
That was a lifetime ago though.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Well after getting an nice anonymous nasty gram from a coward I can see I’m in the minority.
That’s ok I’m a big boy and have heard worse.

Unlike the coward who probably never served I am a veteran.
Unlike Mr. anonymous who probably lives elsewhere I have an interest in this because that is my backyard.

I hope they don’t mess the area up.

That’s all I got.
You can report it to a mod.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:53 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times
Quote:
Well after getting an nice anonymous nasty gram from a coward I can see I’m in the minority.
That’s ok I’m a big boy and have heard worse.

Unlike the coward who probably never served I am a veteran.
Unlike Mr. anonymous who probably lives elsewhere I have an interest in this because that is my backyard.

I hope they don’t mess the area up.

That’s all I got.
Wasn't me either, sorry that happened. Figured I'd clarify that because I'm the OP.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:10 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
I get it!
So no more Blue Angels flying there too. Right, that is offensive and invasive of snowflakes privacy!

Old 01-28-2022, 07:54 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,030 times
When I was in the reserves in Connecticut the Marine infantry battalion I was assigned to did field exercises in several state forests year round except during hunting season. We never had one complaint from campers or hikers. We made an effort to avoid contact with them. I'm sure a small group of Navy SEAL's were operating more surreptitiously than a battalion of Marine infantrymen. Most civilians visiting the park probably had no idea that they were even there.

Quote:
I just hope they don’t damage our environment.

I see soldiers doing soldier things all the time off of I-5 when I am near the Camp Pendleton Area.

They don’t seem eco friendly there.
Why would they be eco friendly here?

Do we really want our virgin shores to be trampled and polluted ?
There must be a few hundred ways that they can leave oil or lead here when they are done.

I don’t trust them enough to leave it better than when they arrived.
They have different a different set rules than the Boy Scouts.
So it’s a big no for me.
There aren't many Soldiers at Camp Pendleton but there are 42K Marines and Navy Corpsman that live and train there. The Marine Corps is actually a good environmental steward of the 125K acres that comprises Camp Pendleton over San Diego and Orange County. The base has civilian conservation officers assigned and makes every effort to protect the environment of the base as well as the wildlife that inhabit Camp Pendleton. If it wasn't for Camp Pendleton there would be no break between the Los Angeles Megalopolis and San Diego. Here are some articles illustrating my point.

https://www.marines.mil/News/News-Di...-conservation/

https://thecoastnews.com/camp-pendle...sons-paradise/

https://consbio.org/products/project...camp-pendleton

Last edited by irishcopper; 01-28-2022 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-28-2022, 08:33 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I'm trying very hard to make sense of what seems like pearl clutching to me.

What a cool experience it would be to see the Navy Seals training first hand (and even cooler for kids and grandkids!) yet here we have people crying (sorry, ahem, pushing back) about the idea of having our elite forces train at a state park in Washington. Seems this stretch of beach offers the optimum training environment for the team, hence them training there. It is explicitly stated in the article that "the training by its nature requires that trainees leave no trace. Exercises are noninvasive and do not include live-fire ammunition, explosive demolitions, off-road driving or other destructive activities" yet people are up in arms, no pun intended, about this.

Here's the article, I'm interested in hearing comments:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...war-games.html
Well......................... you can stay in the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego and watch the Seals train for their morning swim if you want.

They train for amphibious assaults on Catalina as well. The guys on the west coast are acclimated in the Sierras before going to high altitudes overseas.

One of my young friends is an active duty SEAL. I wanted to see the BUDS initial training and weeding out process, so he invited me to observe that for a few hours in San Diego. You should read about the BUDS process- it is brutal and amazing that humans can complete it. Only 20% of those who start finish the process. What is the best indicator of those who succeed? Ironically- lack of tattoos, which is weird, because they all get them after they become SEALs.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:41 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I'm trying very hard to make sense of what seems like pearl clutching to me.

What a cool experience it would be to see the Navy Seals training first hand (and even cooler for kids and grandkids!) yet here we have people crying (sorry, ahem, pushing back) about the idea of having our elite forces train at a state park in Washington. Seems this stretch of beach offers the optimum training environment for the team, hence them training there. It is explicitly stated in the article that "the training by its nature requires that trainees leave no trace. Exercises are noninvasive and do not include live-fire ammunition, explosive demolitions, off-road driving or other destructive activities" yet people are up in arms, no pun intended, about this.

Here's the article, I'm interested in hearing comments:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...war-games.html
Sort of reminds me when they wanted to make Padre Island into an amphibious training area. Granted, that would be invasive but.....

Two things.

First of all, do you honestly believe what the government says especially when they say something about rainbows and puppy dog tails, about leaving no trace. Even if they are wrong, if it is not like that to a degree, what will they do about it to make it right? At best, probably just say ooops....sorry.

Secondly, by its very nature, military training is not that nice to the country side. Look at it this way, which do you expect, effective military training......or effective nature preservation? The two do not go together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oh come on.... they want to do small team invasion and wilderness survival. Did you read the article? They're judged on leaving no trace behind, so they can't be tracked.

They probably have a lot less impact than most weekend campers.
Measured at what level?

This reminds me of my marine biology course work. Two things.

At Matagorda Island, TX, there is a closed runway where, at least in the 90s, migratory birds nested. Even making an approach to that runway with an aircraft can be extremely costly for that brings stress to the birds. The rangers told us that in such an event, afterwards, they check the runway and every broken egg is like a $1K fine.

When I was learning about pollution studies at UTMSI, we put naphthalene in one fish tank but had another fish tank for our control tank. Then over the course of several hours, we took blood samples to measure the stress hormone in the fish. We had the control tank with no pollution in it to measure whether or not our presence next to the tanks was causing stress in the fish.

The SEALS may leave the beach without a trace, by the human level........but what that presence does to the wildlife and plants is an entirely different question.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-28-2022 at 09:28 AM..

Old 01-29-2022, 11:05 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Well......................... you can stay in the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego and watch the Seals train for their morning swim if you want.

They train for amphibious assaults on Catalina as well. The guys on the west coast are acclimated in the Sierras before going to high altitudes overseas.

One of my young friends is an active duty SEAL. I wanted to see the BUDS initial training and weeding out process, so he invited me to observe that for a few hours in San Diego. You should read about the BUDS process- it is brutal and amazing that humans can complete it. Only 20% of those who start finish the process. What is the best indicator of those who succeed? Ironically- lack of tattoos, which is weird, because they all get them after they become SEALs.

A buddy who was a fellow Navy Corpsman attempted BUDS three times and completed it on this third attempt. He was injured the first two times but refused to quit. He said one of the biggest head games was being within eye shot of the Hotel Del and being able to peer into the hotel dining room at night and seeing men and women sitting by the warm fire place while he and the guys in his platoon were cold and miserable on the beach. Hooyah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies