Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 11:09 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I was expecting to open this and find them doing climbing or running exercises, or swimming.

I wasn't expecting to see what appears to be an invasion of an armed group storming the beach.

No.

There are obvious problems with this, one of which is if the public became complacent with this, some group of nuts could storm the beach and kill everyone in sight before anyone realized it was real.
Well... they can now for sure. The SEALS are gone. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 12:16 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oh come on.... they want to do small team invasion and wilderness survival. Did you read the article? They're judged on leaving no trace behind, so they can't be tracked.

They probably have a lot less impact than most weekend campers.
This is true. Far less impact. Being undetectable is a mission priority most of the time. SEALS generally go out of their way to preserve their training areas and the surrounding wildlife. It was the same for us at Ft Bragg. Ever heard of the Red Cockaded Woodpecker? Ask any paratrooper, green beret, or JSOC guy that's ever trained at Bragg about it sometime.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:28 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Measured at what level?

This reminds me of my marine biology course work. Two things.

At Matagorda Island, TX, there is a closed runway where, at least in the 90s, migratory birds nested. Even making an approach to that runway with an aircraft can be extremely costly for that brings stress to the birds. The rangers told us that in such an event, afterwards, they check the runway and every broken egg is like a $1K fine.

When I was learning about pollution studies at UTMSI, we put naphthalene in one fish tank but had another fish tank for our control tank. Then over the course of several hours, we took blood samples to measure the stress hormone in the fish. We had the control tank with no pollution in it to measure whether or not our presence next to the tanks was causing stress in the fish.

The SEALS may leave the beach without a trace, by the human level........but what that presence does to the wildlife and plants is an entirely different question.

Measured to the level applied to the rest of us.

These aren't areas where humans aren't allowed. They're national and state parks.

The kind of places families roll-up and unpack the SUV in every weekend.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Well... they can now for sure. The SEALS are gone. LOL.

Fair point!

Old 01-29-2022, 12:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
typical "I won't read the article, but I'll comment - and often over and over again - based on my feelings and not the facts" thread.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:27 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I was expecting to open this and find them doing climbing or running exercises, or swimming.

I wasn't expecting to see what appears to be an invasion of an armed group storming the beach.

No.

There are obvious problems with this, one of which is if the public became complacent with this, some group of nuts could storm the beach and kill everyone in sight before anyone realized it was real.
Agreed. Not to mention there are enough private areas under military control where they can train.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:38 PM

4,904 posts, read 2,056,126 times
I was born and raised in Seattle when Seattle was a common sense place AND pro military up until the 1980s. My father served in the military, I served and retired out of our military (13 years active and 17 years reserve). Today, the entire State of Washington, which started to really change in the late 80s with the massive flooding of California refugees that moved here and screwed the entire place up!!

But still living in my “homeland” nothing the Left does shocks me anymore. Trust me, it seems that every year the Left outdoes itself with even stupider stunts…. Like this one.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:39 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, they specifically said they wanted cold water ops... Pacific beach and surf is different than Atlantic.

All the beaches in WA are public, and most US and State Park beach coastline is quite rural and not heavily used. Remote wilderness would be a better description of the Washington coast, than picnic area. It's not like they're doing this in town.

Here's a map for you to take a look

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8508.../data=!3m1!1e3
Then close the area off for these exercises. Here in Florida, we have military sea and air shows every year, but the places are closed down and the public is made fully aware so if they see a B-2 flying around the Miami skyline, they won't be surprised.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Then close the area off for these exercises. Here in Florida, we have military sea and air shows every year, but the places are closed down and the public is made fully aware so if they see a B-2 flying around the Miami skyline, they won't be surprised.

Or just tell them they're not doing it any more and keep doing it. After all, if they're spotted by anyone, they didn't pass the test.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:14 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I'm trying very hard to make sense of what seems like pearl clutching to me.

What a cool experience it would be to see the Navy Seals training first hand (and even cooler for kids and grandkids!) yet here we have people crying (sorry, ahem, pushing back) about the idea of having our elite forces train at a state park in Washington. Seems this stretch of beach offers the optimum training environment for the team, hence them training there. It is explicitly stated in the article that "the training by its nature requires that trainees leave no trace. Exercises are noninvasive and do not include live-fire ammunition, explosive demolitions, off-road driving or other destructive activities" yet people are up in arms, no pun intended, about this.

Here's the article, I'm interested in hearing comments:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...war-games.html
In today's world, docent surprise me in the least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies