Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 09:07 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I was expecting to open this and find them doing climbing or running exercises, or swimming.

I wasn't expecting to see what appears to be an invasion of an armed group storming the beach.

No.

There are obvious problems with this, one of which is if the public became complacent with this, some group of nuts could storm the beach and kill everyone in sight before anyone realized it was real.
You and I have very different ideas of what an 'armed group storming a beach" looks like. Two guys in SCUBA gear doesn't make a group let alone a "storming." What I don't quite understand is how people are worried about their kids seeing this or seeing it themselves. Last I checked SEAL training is not a public spectator event. The areas they would be operating in would be cordoned off. At least common sense says so.

And I highly doubt "some group of nuts" is going to SCUBA in to this beach (have you ever put a toe in the water on the North West coast?) and "kill everyone in sight." Cold is a serious understatement to describe the water off the coast there in addition to the VERY dangerous currents and obstacles and "some group of nuts" I very much doubt is going to have the dedication to even train for such an assault let alone be equipped and physically able to pull one off.

And as I said earlier the SEALs are not hosting public events when they're doing this training. They don't want to be tripping over touistas while their doing an exercise. So I'm certain these "concerned parents" won't have to worry about their kids being traumatized from a glimpse of a military training exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 02:09 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
Outrage at small unit training by American Nit Wits is why Putin feels entitled to put the squeeze on the Ukraine. He knows the US has a weak leader leading weak people.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:17 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I'm trying very hard to make sense of what seems like pearl clutching to me.

What a cool experience it would be to see the Navy Seals training first hand (and even cooler for kids and grandkids!) yet here we have people crying (sorry, ahem, pushing back) about the idea of having our elite forces train at a state park in Washington. Seems this stretch of beach offers the optimum training environment for the team, hence them training there. It is explicitly stated in the article that "the training by its nature requires that trainees leave no trace. Exercises are noninvasive and do not include live-fire ammunition, explosive demolitions, off-road driving or other destructive activities" yet people are up in arms, no pun intended, about this.

Here's the article, I'm interested in hearing comments:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...war-games.html

This is what snowflakes do!

Old 01-30-2022, 02:19 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
I was expecting to open this and find them doing climbing or running exercises, or swimming.

I wasn't expecting to see what appears to be an invasion of an armed group storming the beach.

No.

There are obvious problems with this, one of which is if the public became complacent with this, some group of nuts could storm the beach and kill everyone in sight before anyone realized it was real.
To the bold. Do you honestly think that this park would not post times when they were doing it?

Old 02-01-2022, 06:02 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
You and I have very different ideas of what an 'armed group storming a beach" looks like. Two guys in SCUBA gear doesn't make a group let alone a "storming." What I don't quite understand is how people are worried about their kids seeing this or seeing it themselves. Last I checked SEAL training is not a public spectator event. The areas they would be operating in would be cordoned off. At least common sense says so.

And I highly doubt "some group of nuts" is going to SCUBA in to this beach (have you ever put a toe in the water on the North West coast?) and "kill everyone in sight." Cold is a serious understatement to describe the water off the coast there in addition to the VERY dangerous currents and obstacles and "some group of nuts" I very much doubt is going to have the dedication to even train for such an assault let alone be equipped and physically able to pull one off.

And as I said earlier the SEALs are not hosting public events when they're doing this training. They don't want to be tripping over touistas while their doing an exercise. So I'm certain these "concerned parents" won't have to worry about their kids being traumatized from a glimpse of a military training exercise.
"You and I have very different ideas"

If you read her posts in the past, you would see how far LEFT she is!

Old 02-01-2022, 06:06 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:

No.

Which is why the public should be told ahead of time. Problem solved.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:07 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
To the bold. Do you honestly think that this park would not post times when they were doing it?
Did you forget it's government run and they stink at what they do?

Old 02-01-2022, 07:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
The link originally cited is heavily biased (not a bad thing but worth seeing how other sources have reported this tory). Another link -- just for more info.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/was...state-parks/UC
The training involves Navy SEALs landing on shorelines, climbing upland and conducting covert surveillance of plainclothes military personnel interacting with unknowing park visitors.If a park visitor gets too close to a SEAL, military personnel will try to discourage the park visitor from being in the area. The decision also allows the Navy to prevent boaters from using the park waterfronts.

I think that if in fact it is only 7 training exercises a year --- and mainly at night -- how can it be that intrusive. Seems an over reaction.

But what I find interesting is the comment: "Although there are several Navy properties in the area, they do not provide the full range of environments needed for this training to be as realistic as possible."

Out of curiosity -- where do folks think this much coveted state park terrain most resembles? China? Europe?

I'm fascinated about what geographic location in the world that the Navy Seals are anticipating some day needing to be ready to traverse that resembles that specific area in the State Park.

I know -- we'll never know but aren't you curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies