Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 03:41 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
75% less money to maintain the Interstates? Or should the states raise taxes to maintain them? If states had to maintain Interstates, many would likely turn them into toll roads.
Some have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 03:47 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
if you get money for not working you hope it will be effective in enticing people to work for it?

Old 01-28-2022, 03:51 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well based on this post you seem knowledgeable just by the mere fact you brought up the cost of the war on poverty.
Most of the money spent for LBJ's "great society" has gone to waste, creating a complete class of people totally dependent on the taxpayers to do their rowing for them.

As to tight controls, it will never happen, even if it starts out that way. Just look at medical pot when it started, only for glaucoma, cancer patients and one or two more legitimate medical needs. Look at what it has morphed into, getting it for a sore toe or other such rubbish.

Or non-taxpayer funded abortions, yet we give organizations like PP money, and they supposedly segregate the money for paying the electric bills and such. Sure they do.

Remember when we were promised illegal aliens would not be able to receive healthcare except in emergencies?
Well look at where we are today with them getting everything under the sun, and even able to do things citizens are not able to. Heck they want to give them money now along with all the other things they were never suppose to get.

Or border control for that matter when Reagan made a deal with the (D's), and they have never (including some (R's) lived up to their part of the bargain.

The list goes on and on to convince the general public of a small and controlled program, and before you know it, "necessities" for the poor now include cellphones, cable TV/internet, EBT cards that you can use in strip clubs, take a cruise with, etc.

So don't think for a minute a UBI will not be abused, and again, once it starts, it will never stop!
Believe me when I say I'm aware of the potential downfalls and how the program will 'buy' votes. I also know the war on poverty is never gonna be a victory... small victories yes, but were losing this 'war'. However I have also seen success and how 'some' have pulled themselves out of poverty to become excellent citizens.

I had (since passed) a loser family member who was a benefactor of a good government sponsored program. You may have heard of it... Jobs Corp. Went to be an oil field worker.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:55 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
The notion of a UBI is really popular, do you think it could work?
I think people like you would love for the rest of the country to pay you not to work.

I mean, nobody's brought up UBI for 2 years (Andrew Yang during debates). But, of course, the US Government paid a lot of people a UBI since April/May 2020.

What did you do with yours?

Old 01-28-2022, 03:59 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,846 times
I think it's a pie in the sky idea that doesn't work out well on paper.

If everyone in the country suddenly gets $1,000 per month, where does all that money come from? We will have skyrocketing inflation.

$1,000 doesn't stretch as far everywhere.

We certainly don't need to even be talking about it at any point in the foreseeable future when school districts across the nation can't even keep the schools open because they are so short of teachers, subs, bus drivers, cafeteria workers and everyone else they need on campus.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:13 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
I think it's a pie in the sky idea that doesn't work out well on paper.

If everyone in the country suddenly gets $1,000 per month, where does all that money come from? We will have skyrocketing inflation.

We certainly don't need to even be talking about it at any point in the foreseeable future when school districts across the nation can't even keep the schools open because they are so short of teachers, subs, bus drivers, cafeteria workers and everyone else they need on campus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
After rent or paying the mortgage, there's nothing left. And if they pass it, gone would be the days of EBT

Old 01-28-2022, 04:22 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
They didn't go back to your establishment, because they had found the seed money, compliments of the u.s. government to enable them to branch out and do something they like better, like creating social media content and selling what they created to advertising companies. Or they decided to watch those videos teaching python coding, and ethical hacking ... take the money they had gotten compliments of the u.s. government and paid for the tech test which certified them into making about 60 grand a year to start and they never have to leave the comfort of their home to do it.

Hell I am 60 freaken years old --- old school way of doing died a long time ago. The age of Information Systems Highway is 32 years old and people have figured out how to use it and make money. They're not going to cashier or serve food anymore, because believe it or not they do have a brain. The $3000 a month they got from March - Sept 2020 was enough to make something and they did it.

What you got back to your establishment were the ones that didn't really care to do anything else or they didn't have an aptitude for it to begin with --- . Everyone else, made hay, or that phone app that you down loaded to your smart device, that you'll be paying a subscriber fee, because they created a service you can't live without.

btw: the UBI is handing rich folks for breathing money too --- so, you think they will stop doing what they are doing to make wealth, just because they get a little check from the government? I don't think so --- Stop thinking in the way things were and get with today's program. Food servers just couldn't find anyone willing to hire them, now they don't have to worry if they fit in a company --- they created their own.
I guess you are assuming that getting free money allows them to do the things you speculated, but many are just becoming couch potatoes, not becoming the next Bill Gates.
Even if many are, who is going to do the type of work that make many businesses run?

This video clip also covers my point;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRGRvE_Wqg

Actually I like posting and watching that clip for the humor, but also the braless girl in that movie.

The point being that my business provides a service that people on vacation want to enjoy and pay for. However if you cannot find people to work, then the business goes under. There are hundreds if not thousands of businesses that provide services people want, but if you have no employees, then it hurts everyone.

The example you gave about rich people getting checks also is rubbish, as it will be "means tested" or some other term which equals wealth redistribution to the takers, not the makers of the world.
Heck look no further than what they are talking about doing to save social security. That being if you make or are worth over a certain number, the money that was taken from you every paycheck for decades and promised to be given back in your retirement, will not be returned. If the government can do that, do you really think they will be giving UBI to the wealthy?

Old 01-28-2022, 04:27 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
EVERYBODY loves "free money."
NOBODY wants to work to fill the shelves with 'stuff' to buy with FREE MONEY.
. . . .
Connect the dots.
(too obscure? OK)
"Free money" is going to be confiscated from the taxpayers / workers, so that non-taxpayers / non-workers can enjoy the benefit.
(too long? OK)
"Tax and Bribery" - where the Takers outvote the Makers.
This won't end well !
As Ben Franklin once said, "when the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic".

Old 01-28-2022, 04:50 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
EVERYBODY loves "free money."
NOBODY wants to work to fill the shelves with 'stuff' to buy with FREE MONEY.
. . . .
Connect the dots.
(too obscure? OK)
"Free money" is going to be confiscated from the taxpayers / workers, so that non-taxpayers / non-workers can enjoy the benefit.
(too long? OK)
"Tax and Bribery" - where the Takers outvote the Makers.
This won't end well !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
As Ben Franklin once said, "when the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic".
"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." Henry Ford

Old 01-28-2022, 04:56 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,463,364 times
CA State Basic Income Proposal

-Eligibility: all adult US Citizens who have been California residents for at least 5 years

-Funded by a tech dividend, automation of inefficient state bureaucracy, an oil extraction tax, and consolidation of non-healthcare CA state benefits

-Direct cash payout generated by revenue from above sources issued via a new state bank

https://robertstark.substack.com/p/n...ionalist-unity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies