Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 01:57 PM

14,246 posts, read 4,626,048 times

Advertisements

UBI sounds good in theory, but that doesn’t work in real world application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 01:57 PM

16,709 posts, read 8,703,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You'd think so right? But with all the added spending in retail, retail would have to hire additional employees to handle the influx --- the government has been subsiding the grocery market, since the mid 60s. If that money did not exist in the grocery supply chain, there would be fewer grocery stores. Oh and since a person will get this money even though they are employed --- the employers would have to treat employees better to keep them from walking out the door. So there's that ...
I am not sure what you are driving at, especially with that last comment. My business which is service oriented almost went belly up when covid hit. I tried to keep my employees afoat for a while, but without money coming in, it couldn't go out.

However when things started to come back only a couple of them returned. A few got other jobs which I totally get and respect. But when I found out some were just chilling at home collecting XYZ from the government and wouldn't come back (even offering them more money), it was because they became lazy pretty fast.

So it had nothing to do with the way they were treated. Heck they were working on a resort island, getting sun, meeting other young people of the opposite sex, and did not have demanding work conditions.
Yet when you are handed money just for breathing, it saps a decent amount of work ethic out of some people.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:58 PM

21,380 posts, read 7,985,635 times
The same as when this question was asked 4 months ago.

And 4 months before that.

Like clockwork. Is it part of a survey or something?

It must get tiring to ask the same question over and over and get the the same answer.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:13 PM

8,399 posts, read 4,396,112 times
Sounds like communism to me.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:53 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,622,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You'd think so right? But with all the added spending in retail, retail would have to hire additional employees to handle the influx --- the government has been subsiding the grocery market, since the mid 60s. If that money did not exist in the grocery supply chain, there would be fewer grocery stores. Oh and since a person will get this money even though they are employed --- the employers would have to treat employees better to keep them from walking out the door. So there's that ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am not sure what you are driving at, especially with that last comment. My business which is service oriented almost went belly up when covid hit. I tried to keep my employees afoat for a while, but without money coming in, it couldn't go out.

However when things started to come back only a couple of them returned. A few got other jobs which I totally get and respect. But when I found out some were just chilling at home collecting XYZ from the government and wouldn't come back (even offering them more money), it was because they became lazy pretty fast.

So it had nothing to do with the way they were treated. Heck they were working on a resort island, getting sun, meeting other young people of the opposite sex, and did not have demanding work conditions.
Yet when you are handed money just for breathing, it saps a decent amount of work ethic out of some people.
They didn't go back to your establishment, because they had found the seed money, compliments of the u.s. government to enable them to branch out and do something they like better, like creating social media content and selling what they created to advertising companies. Or they decided to watch those videos teaching python coding, and ethical hacking ... take the money they had gotten compliments of the u.s. government and paid for the tech test which certified them into making about 60 grand a year to start and they never have to leave the comfort of their home to do it.

Hell I am 60 freaken years old --- old school way of doing died a long time ago. The age of Information Systems Highway is 32 years old and people have figured out how to use it and make money. They're not going to cashier or serve food anymore, because believe it or not they do have a brain. The $3000 a month they got from March - Sept 2020 was enough to make something and they did it.

What you got back to your establishment were the ones that didn't really care to do anything else or they didn't have an aptitude for it to begin with --- . Everyone else, made hay, or that phone app that you down loaded to your smart device, that you'll be paying a subscriber fee, because they created a service you can't live without.

btw: the UBI is handing rich folks for breathing money too --- so, you think they will stop doing what they are doing to make wealth, just because they get a little check from the government? I don't think so --- Stop thinking in the way things were and get with today's program. Food servers just couldn't find anyone willing to hire them, now they don't have to worry if they fit in a company --- they created their own.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:55 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,261,865 times
EVERYBODY loves "free money."
NOBODY wants to work to fill the shelves with 'stuff' to buy with FREE MONEY.
. . . .
Connect the dots.
(too obscure? OK)
"Free money" is going to be confiscated from the taxpayers / workers, so that non-taxpayers / non-workers can enjoy the benefit.
(too long? OK)
"Tax and Bribery" - where the Takers outvote the Makers.
This won't end well !

Old 01-28-2022, 02:58 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,622,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Like this?

The Most Brazen $400 Billion Unemployment Funds Heist In History

During the chaotic days of the pandemic, it's alleged that an international ring of nefarious fraudsters stole over $400 billion from the United States government. This staggering amount is around 50% of unemployment monies paid out.

The story sounds like a script for an upcoming movie, starring George Clooney. Bad actors from around the world, including China, Russia, Nigeria, Romania and right here at home, looted unemployment funds earmarked for out-of-work Americans by perpetrating fraudulent claims. Unknowingly, naive Department of Labor workers sent out checks to bad guys.

And all Pelosi cares about is how quickly can she pass more trillion dollar spending bills
Rather than see the incompetence of those folks who work in State government and Federal ones too --- you see fraudsters? There is only one way that happens --- and your paying their salaries.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:13 PM

7,271 posts, read 4,230,057 times
I am all for UBI if we have truth from govt, an immigration & citizenship system like Canada which is very strict, a yearly balanced budget, and the same tax rates & fees we have now. That and giving those that receive UBI a bright yellow card that has to be used when they spend their money - so everyone can see who they are.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:16 PM

6,382 posts, read 2,937,986 times
Free money for everyone. What could go wrong? Sounds like a commie paradise. How has that working in places that have tried it?

Old 01-28-2022, 03:34 PM

18,574 posts, read 8,380,093 times
it will just make the cost of everything go up....and completely void it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies