Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2022, 08:34 AM

10,789 posts, read 4,491,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The old "two step shuffle and segue" is always a fascinating dance to observe.

4/4 time? In 'A' right? 'A' is a good country key....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 08:37 AM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Gee, i wonder if any funds in the infrastructure bill went to replacing/repairing that bridge.
Is this a serious question? The infrastructure bill was passed only recently. Funds are in the process of being allocated, although the bill apparently specified PA bridges as a line item. But implementation is probably up to state authorities.
Thus far, Pennsylvania Repubs have been less than supportive of bridge repair under this initiative. Let's hope that they're not calling the shots on bridge repair in their state.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-31-2022 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-31-2022, 08:49 AM

37,150 posts, read 19,160,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
4/4 time? In 'A' right? 'A' is a good country key....
or "E". "E" is the people's key.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:36 AM

58,936 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I haven't heard that, but I don't doubt it. The Brent Spence until recently has been classified only as functionally obsolete to carry the load of traffic that uses it, and because the emergency lanes have been redesignated as traffic lanes. But it's almost 60 years old, carries almost twice the traffic it was designed to carry, and how on earth that fire a couple years ago could not have compromised the integrity of the structure is beyond me.

The answer to your first question is: Because the nature of our transportation system allows it. Don't like how federal transportation funds are allocated? Take it up with your Congressional representatives.

The answer to the second question, of course, varies from state to state. The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, and its pathetic stepchild, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, are as corrupt and mismanaged as they come, and the state legislature exacerbates the problem by allocating transportation funds to non-transportation expenses, and filling the statewide coffers on the outrageous and ever-rising tolls on the turnpike system. This particular bridge collapse is being shrugged off by TPTB because, well, no one died ...

Oh, they've been inspected. They just haven't been repaired or replaced.

Another brilliant post.
"The answer to your first question is: Because the nature of our transportation system allows it."

"ALLOW IT"

No matter how you cut it, t is a STATE RESPONSIBILITY, NOT the FED!

Old 01-31-2022, 09:52 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,705,603 times
Quote:
RetireinPA;6280525

fact check: only a small minority portion of the bill will actually fund actual 'infrastructure' work, unless diversity and equity programs - whatever that is - are now classified as infrastructure. read the bill/law - it is online and well dissected.
^^^Disingenuous Partisan Characterization of THE BIPARTISAN INFRASTRUCTURE LAW signed 9 weeks ago, by President Joe Biden. Why is a win for the American people so threatening to you?

Quote:
RetireinPA;6280525

fact check:misleading Exactly $0 of this allocation was earmarked for this bridge, or barely any others in allegheny county PA Source: Trib live/post gazette 1/29/2022 That this might change now, is irrelevant. The bridge was coming down this round of funding.
^^^ Disingenuous Characterization of My Post. Why are facts and the truth so threatening to you, that you must make up stuff to denigrate a fellow poster's comments?

Quote:
RetireinPA;6280525
fact check: Hyperbole There are enough photos of the scene and video to show that there are exactly zero crushed cars or buses nor are any under slabs of concrete so the reality referenced, does not exist. In fact, the bus that slid back down its slab (and was still running into mid morning) will be damaged more when the crane picks it up. not even Jamie Davis can save this one. The fact that there are dented cars at the bottom of the ravine that everyone exited from safely is reality enough without embellishment.

Over-all grade: Political narrative and not even good political narrative. C-
Your "overall post" indeed makes the very point of the one you disparage

You are just another partisan poster who wants us to believe infrastructure is not important to the success & progress of the United States of America. One who is trying to deny that something positive and good was accomplished and will be even better going forward due to The Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill which is now Law. Just another someone who is trying to divert attention from a catastrophic event that illustrates why that good and positive accomplishment is much needed and was long overdue all across America. Why are you so fervently compelled to double down on a misleading and ridiculous narrative that riles up the ignorant and motivates the malcontents to regurgitate deceitful partisan pablum?

In the realities of the Pittsburgh Bridge collapse the injuries sustained by real people may not have been life threatening but that doesn't mean they aren't serious. Several people have multiple vertebral fractures...you know broken backs. And indeed other injuries were sustained as well. You must have missed the photos of the smashed pick-up truck, the overturned car resting on its roof, and the vehicle on its side rammed up against the trees among the monstrous slabs of broken concrete and twisted metal.

They exist...I suggest you find them. Very easy to locate. Downplay the bus all you want but fact is: an articulated bus nearly made it across the span as the collapse was occurring but was trapped at its behind between an overlapping wedge of concrete--- that kept it from sliding the full 150 foot drop; first responders who immediately arrived, secured it with ropes and cables and while under intense rushing natural gas, escaping from a ruptured pipeline, produced ladders and formed a human chain to rescue the driver and his passengers and then the folks who were at the bottom of the ravine. The bus driver and the Fire Chief have provided first hand accounts and their interviews are on video for your "fact finding mission" which, btw, is highly suspect in its sincerity. The running path, beautiful trail, and dog park, in Frick Park, in the ravine under the former span of that bridge, is indeed at least 150 feet below. Talk to the early morning joggers who assisted in the rescue of the shocked and injured. I am assuming you never ran that path or were ever on it, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to peddle such misleading preposterous poop.

When truth no longer matters everyone and everything is in jeopardy. I maintain, this type of thread is as ominous a threat to the country as failing infrastructure.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 01-31-2022 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: punctuation correction

Old 01-31-2022, 11:15 AM

41,927 posts, read 75,118,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
No matter how you cut it, t is a STATE RESPONSIBILITY, NOT the FED!
Transportation maintenance is a state responsibility. Don't keep acting like it isn't already. But the federal government allocates transportation fund to states toward that maintenance, especially toward high ticket items such as bridges.

Again, if you don't like it, take it up with your Congressional delegation.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
^^^Disingenuous Partisan Characterization of THE BIPARTISAN INFRASTRUCTURE LAW signed 9 weeks ago, by President Joe Biden. Why is a win for the American people so threatening to you?

that all being said, in *your own opening post*, without realizing it you proved my point. The bill singed into law has <2.5% TOTAL, allocated to bridges across the US. If you take said total, and divide by the number of bridges in critical need USA wide, not just PA. it comes out to less than the cost of a couple disney tix. The objection in congress was NOT partisan as you assert, but rather if we are going to spend north of $1.2T then how about ALL of the $1.2T go to infrastructure. If we allocate ALL of the $1.2T to just bridges alone, we STILL dont fix them. The bill allocates more to pay OEMS to build electric cars, than it does for the share for bridges. That is like buying records, before the turntable is invented.

Every word of the content of the bill is online and in the federal record - both accessible from your workstation. It is utterly inexcusable that anyone posts in any authoritative manner about this, without first reading it, no? Locate said bill and actually quote the amounts to prove you have actually read it. The request is not unreasonable.

Quote:
^^^ Disingenuous Characterization of My Post. Why are facts and the truth so threatening to you, that you must make up stuff to denigrate a fellow poster's comments?
So it is your intent to excoriate me without fact? Not one dime of *any* bill for the last 11 years, this one not withstanding, was allocated to this bridge. The mayor and county exec told me so. I believe them. They told you as well had you watched read *any* coverage of this. Not one dime of anything was set to be taken up as future spending. It was not on anyone's menu. Now, it is the main course. Annotate, please if you will, ANY statement I made that was not factual and back it up with proof.

Quote:
Your "overall post" indeed makes the very point of the one you disparage

You are just another partisan poster who wants us to believe infrastructure is not important to the success & progress of the United States of America. One who is trying to deny that something positive and good was accomplished and will be even better going forward due to The Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill which is now Law. Just another someone who is trying to divert attention from a catastrophic event that illustrates why that good and positive accomplishment is much needed and was long overdue all across America. Why are you so fervently compelled to double down on a misleading and ridiculous narrative that riles up the ignorant and motivates the malcontents to regurgitate deceitful partisan pablum?
I dont mean to be negative, but that entire response is word salad that you wrapped up in a partisan accusation cover sheet to lend it credibility. the attack on my person is curious, especially when compared to what I actually DID type.

First off, I am a member of exactly zero political parties and have given exactly $0 to any - lifetime. Never had a sign in my yard or a sticker on my car. But I am old, educated and adult and have seen a crap ton more than you so forgive me when I put more faith in what I know, vs what you have been told to have seen. Not to mention I have/am serving at the pleasure of the sitting president - for the last 4 admins. so where, did I write ANY words that says what you accuse me of. Use the quote feature please, or was this just a trolling post?

Quote:

In the realities of the Pittsburgh Bridge collapse the injuries sustained by real people may not have been life threatening but that doesn't mean they aren't serious. Several people have multiple vertebral fractures...you know broken backs. And indeed other injuries were sustained as well. You must have missed the photos of the smashed pick-up truck, the overturned car resting on its roof, and the vehicle on its side rammed up against the trees among the monstrous slabs of broken concrete and twisted metal.
At best this is a non-sequitor strawman. You told us, and I quoted above, that these vehicles were residing under slabs of bridge. now you say they are not, after I told you they are not. which is it? I dont mind you changing your mind. But admit your mistake and dont attack me for pointing out the mistake. (If I was cynical, and I am not, I would surmise that you saw debris pics for the first time - today - after I typed what I did because you were relying to something you heard on a tv/radio show or from an apologist.)

Quote:

They exist...I suggest you find them. Very easy to locate. Downplay the bus all you want but fact is: an articulated bus nearly made it across the span as the collapse was occurring but was trapped at its behind between an overlapping wedge of concrete--- that kept it from sliding the full 150 foot drop; first responders who immediately arrived, secured it with ropes and cables and while under intense rushing natural gas, escaping from a ruptured pipeline, produced ladders and formed a human chain to rescue the driver and his passengers and then the folks who were at the bottom of the ravine. The bus driver and the Fire Chief have provided first hand accounts and their interviews are on video for your "fact finding mission" which, btw, is highly suspect in its sincerity. The running path, beautiful trail, and dog park, in Frick Park, in the ravine under the former span of that bridge, is indeed at least 150 feet below. Talk to the early morning joggers who assisted in the rescue of the shocked and injured. I am assuming you never ran that path or were ever on it, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to peddle such misleading preposterous poop.

When truth no longer matters everyone and everything is in jeopardy. I maintain, this type of thread is as ominous a threat to the country as failing infrastructure.
again, I am not sure what you are saying here. As I pointed out, the bus is not under anything as you stated, it merely crashed backwards into a mass of concrete and steel and I guess technically it could have gone all the way down the ravine if that mass of concrete and steel simply vanished instead of staying put, but again, as I pointed out *it was still running* for about 2 hours AFTER the incident. (pssst: the engine is in the rear) Thats what I get for streaming the live coverage all day. I asked you to used the reality of what is, vs hyperbole and it seems you doubled down?

I dont know what dog parks or joggin trails have to do with it. I have been in that park before you were born. I moved out of the hill, before you were born. That bridge was built, after I was born. The point?

Old 02-01-2022, 05:23 AM

58,936 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Transportation maintenance is a state responsibility. Don't keep acting like it isn't already. But the federal government allocates transportation fund to states toward that maintenance, especially toward high ticket items such as bridges.

Again, if you don't like it, take it up with your Congressional delegation.
" But the federal government allocates transportation fund to states toward that maintenance"

Do you have reading comprehension problem?

I SAID they DO and IMO should NOT!

Old 02-01-2022, 06:04 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,705,603 times
Default The Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill and Bridges & MORE

Throughout this thread many folks have falsely claimed that The Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill will do nothing for America and her roads, bridges and other infrastructure and especially not in Pennsylvania or even Western Pennsylvania where Pittsburgh lies.

The $1.2 trillion Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, will be a huge win for America and will indeed rebuild crumbling roads, and bridges, replace lead pipes, and help provide high-speed internet access to most American families. You know change people’s lives for the better. In just a few short months, ( 11 weeks since signed into law) states and cities are already starting to see how this historic legislation will provide a massive investment in their regions' aging infrastructure.

For those of you who have disputed that this is true, I offer you but a few examples that illustrate how The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and my region Western Pa will benefit:

***With the federal funding from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which included historic levels of funding to fix our bridges, we are going to be able to rebuild this bridge and fix other broken infrastructure.

On January 14, prior to the bridge collapse it was announced that Pennsylvania will receive a total of $1.6 billion over the next five years from the Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Bridge Formula Program, with $327.2 million coming this year.

This was made possible by the passage of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. This bill included language that not only provides more funding to states that need it most, like PA, but includes extra help for bridges that are not on federal highways. We have many of these in Western Pa, and with this new federal funding we’re going to repair and restore them. Even the one that just collapsed. This historic federal funding ensures that we will be able to invest in critical transportation connections in communities and neighborhoods while creating good, union jobs for construction and trade workers. Win.

***Also on January 14, it was announced that the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) will receive $857.7 million from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to fully repair a major lock and dam in our area. The Montgomery Lock and Dam is on the Ohio River and at nearly 100 years old, it is in desperate need of work. If it collapsed, Western Pennsylvania could lose thousands of jobs and would have to add thousands of trucks to the roads, leading to both more pollution and more traffic. This federal investment will ensure that our rivers ( we are the City of Bridges and Three Rivers) continue to serve as a critical component of our region’s economy. Another Win.

*** Last week, it was announced that Pennsylvania is eligible to receive up to $104 million in the first funding phase of a new program to plug abandoned oil and gas wells in the nation. The funding from the Department of Interior’s new program for well capping was made possible by the passage of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. Additional Win.

(Tens of thousands of known abandoned oil and gas wells across the country leak dangerous methane into the atmosphere, posing health and safety risks, and can pollute local groundwater. Experts estimate there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, more abandoned or orphaned wells across the country. )

I urge any poster to go to their state's respective websites to learn the facts & truth about the wins your area and your fellow citizens have already gained or will be able to achieve because of The Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 02-01-2022 at 06:19 AM..

Old 02-01-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Throughout this thread many folks have falsely claimed that The Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill will do nothing for America and her roads, bridges and other infrastructure and especially not in Pennsylvania or even Western Pennsylvania where Pittsburgh lies.

<snip!>

False. there is not one post in this thread that says that.

If the opening line is false, good chance all the rest of the lines that follow will be the same.

I dont know why you keep spouting these falsehoods when time has been spent to disprove each one.

Last summer wife and I spent weekend of Juneteenth at the Wyndham and on saturday when walking, we passed 2 'preachers' who were loudly insisting that all white devils will never see the kingdom of god and only the black man will know his glory (yes, I am quoting). It was their right to say so. And no one was listening THEN either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies