Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 11:11 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times

Advertisements

Kiribati didn't have any COVID cases until...

The "Zero Covid" policies were an unmitigated disaster everwhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 07:38 AM

21,120 posts, read 19,703,590 times
So... the people who tested negative three times actually had it?

Old 01-30-2022, 08:00 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So... the people who tested negative three times actually had it?
Yeah, I didn't really understand that either. Or is the article (and most of the posters here) suggesting that these people tested negative, were actually negative, but then got the vaccine which caused them to get (and spread) Covid?

Hoping for clarification on this entire article.

Old 01-30-2022, 01:02 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Yeah, I didn't really understand that either. Or is the article (and most of the posters here) suggesting that these people tested negative, were actually negative, but then got the vaccine which caused them to get (and spread) Covid?

That's what I suspect happened. My guess is that they were given the mRNA shots which, in turn, caused them to unwittingly infect others.

Yet, OTOH, many have discovered that the COVID tests are not reliable --- lots of false positives and negatives.

Old 01-30-2022, 01:27 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When will it sink in with some who think that all those measures don't work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I don't think these tests work.
Hearing stories like this makes me think the tests are BS.
Two years into this nonsense, and this is the most reliable and efficient testing we have?? LOL

Old 01-30-2022, 02:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
I may be one of few or the only poster who has been to Kiribati (not remotely related to missionary work). It is a group of islands in the middle of nowhere. The density of the population rivals that of Tokyo on the capital island without any real infrastructure to support it. Potable water and indoor plumbing are non-existent on most islands.

To call healthcare primitive is an understatement. The island nation does not have the infrastructure to adequately respond to a pandemic, let alone TB or leprosy.

It does not take much conceptual contract tracing to figure out how Covid spread once the country opened its border. There is a gap between testing and results of all arrivals.

There are no non- stop flights between the mainland US and Fiji. Passengers likely had multiple layovers and opportunities to be infected along the way- a flight cluster.

There is a gap of time between PCR/quick test and availability of results.

New infections don't show immediately on a test.

We know the vaccines are not particularly effective at preventing infection with the Omicron variant in most people.

We know vaccines are reasonably effective in mitigating the progression to serious Covid in the masses.

Despite a natural very low carb diet, the population has relatively high rate of obesity and Diabetes 2.
It imports relatively huge amounts of fatty animal parts that would otherwise be discarded, from other countries, including the US.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I don't think these tests work.
All tests are for a point in time. Accuracy depends on the test and the lab.

Then there is the gap of time between a test and result.

I guess they are better than nothing. I would not however, bet on the accuracy.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Remember boys and girls, just two weeks to slow the spread.
"15 Days to Slow the Spread"

Old 01-30-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry to hear that Covid has made its way to such a lovely, remote place. I've actually been to Fanning Island, also known as Tabuaeran, in 2003. Not sure what medical facilities they have but they're gonna need them all. The US should send one of our floating hospitals to help.
No facilities, no potable water, no plumbing on Fanning Island.

And soon- no Fanning Island. Rising sea levels have and will continue to compel outbound migration.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

The missionaries were all vaccinated. We don't know when. And all tested negative before leaving the US.

All it takes is for one to have been infected between being tested and getting results either in Utah or Fiji or other stops along the way. A just infected person is more likely to test negative.

We know Omicron is twice as contagious as Delta which is twice as contagious as the original virus. The vaccine is not particularly effective at preventing the Omicron. It is however doing a good job of mitigating serious Covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies