Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 11:32 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Many of our top 1%'ers have been propering from shifting our manufacturing to China since ~2000.

It sickens me to no end.

I can only pray that the strategic sourcing initiative implemented by Trump and TN Senator Masha Blackburn was/is real, & is still underway. They pertained to 5G communications, military procurment, and medical sourcing of meds and equipment.
We can thank Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and our current president to the movement of our Pharma to China. Prior to the late 90's the vast majority of our drugs were made in Puerto Rico with tens of thousands employed with huge factories throughout the island. In 1996 the Small Business Act of 1996 was passed doing away with the tax advantages of operating on the island.
All those factories closed along with many others and moved to China creating a depression on the island. The good thing is, Big Pharma and our corrupt politicians I'm sure, made out like bandits!
As an added note, I had 1,100 friends, neighbors, and work mates lose their jobs as our factory was closed and moved also to China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 06:04 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Yep, paying China to protect us from a virus made in China... seems very twisted.
But...I thought it was a nothingburger virus.....

Old 01-30-2022, 06:07 PM

211 posts, read 140,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
No, it's not surprising. It's just disheartening to see the country that gave the world Covid-19 reaping huge profits on supplies necessary for our "normal" daily lives. All it does is incentivize them to release something else the next time they want to make more money, especially since they know that no one will do anything about it.
The program is working.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:16 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Sorry if you just discovered that just about everything we use and buy comes from China. It has been that way for decades.
Sorry if you just discovered this but... there ARE tests and N95 masks made in the USA.

Could the Biden admin not have done the symbolic move and paid more to order Made in USA stuff to give out for "free?" I'd rather they pay more to support US manufacturing than give it away to the ChiComs

But what would you expect from a guy whose son is Hunter Biden?

Old 01-31-2022, 05:53 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
I suggest someone who is social media savvy start a movement of people flooding Congress and the White House with their "Made in China" Covid products. Getting PPE and test kits from China to protect us from a virus that originated in China is as ironic as Make America Great merchandise being made overseas.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:17 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Has anybody else received their tests (I didn't know there were free masks too).

Old 01-31-2022, 06:26 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The CCP has also been bragging to the world about how good of a job they've been doing managing the virus compared to the USA. The lefties here eat that crap up and love it, even though the CCP considers them parasites and would starve them to death if given the chance.

The modern left doesn't have much in common with actual Marxists. True communist countries tend to stagnate and often rely on capitalist countries for their survival... They tend to decay over time because theres no incentive to improve anything when the fruits of your labor are confiscated by the state. They do promote working though...there's no lifelong parasite class like the US modern left promotes.

To the degree China is different from the USSR, the left is different from the Chinese form of communism which very much had a capitalistic element until recently with their new leaders stance being more anti capitalist. Still the Chinese rarely invent anything...they make copies of things others invented. That's what they are known for. This is what communism produces. How many inventions or innovation comes from Marxist nations? Very little historically.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/xi-jinp...on-11632150725

The left in the USA still embrace the free market enough that they are a source of innovation, progress, and invention. We will see how long that will last. It's a balancing act...you can't confiscate everything but you can't allow wealth to concentrate too much (black rock) the corporate and foreign ownership of land and real estate will become a huge problem if we don't stop it.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:27 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Sorry if you just discovered this but... there ARE tests and N95 masks made in the USA.

Could the Biden admin not have done the symbolic move and paid more to order Made in USA stuff to give out for "free?" I'd rather they pay more to support US manufacturing than give it away to the ChiComs

Don't blame Hunter. He was groomed to be the bagman for the Biden Family. This is the racket China Joe set up and his brother Jim, not demented Hunter.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:33 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post

The Texas company I have been buying N 95's from had to charge a tad more than their Chinese competitors. No American hospital, state agency or medical group would pay the difference for American made. The company almost went under until they started selling to individuals.

Looks like nothing has changed. American want cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies