Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 02:39 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's what they say.

Here's what they're doing.

They're marketing to young women, requiring photos, and encouraging intimate girly conversations in groups of 4-6 strangers.

If I had a daughter, I'd tell her no way is she signing up for this. Seems very exploitive to me.

If a man wants to participate, ALL he has to do apparently is submit a photo of a woman.

Just seems . . . dangerous. And sneaky. An attempt to inspire the feeling of safety and security where that doesn't actually exist.
Everything is hackable. Even the IRS.

So I'll ask again:

Are you against POLICIES that protect women from male predators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 02:42 PM

6,028 posts, read 2,846,987 times
Quote:
The IRS ID verification, and a chat app with strangers are two ENTIRELY different situations.

In the one, the IRS, yes, I absolutely want them to be able to verify my identity before moving my money around. In that case, the IRS already HAS all my information, and some of my money, and they're making sure I'm me before allowing access to my funds by asking for a photo that will match my state sponsored ID submitted.

In this case, Giggle, this is a social media website aimed at young women, and you give them your ID information, your image, and access to your personal comments. You HAVE to use a selfie - unlike Facebook or other social media where you can choose not to submit a personal photo. And then you're encouraged by the venue to share your girly secrets including sexual behaviors, apparently.

Night and day. The IRS situation is using photos to protect you and your assets; Giggle is using photos to get more information about you to exploit with no goal of using it to protect you.
But, if you had a picture of yourself on Facebook, or even on the internet in general, couldn't someone who wanted to access your IRS portal use that picture? How would they even use the picture to prove you are who you say you are?

As far as Giggle, I'm not sure what the point is. Wouldn't most young women just use a group text with their friends?

Old 01-30-2022, 02:43 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,710,079 times
Quote:
That's what they say.

Here's what they're doing.

They're marketing to young women, requiring photos, and encouraging intimate girly conversations in groups of 4-6 strangers.

If I had a daughter, I'd tell her no way is she signing up for this. Seems very exploitive to me.

If a man wants to participate, ALL he has to do apparently is submit a photo of a woman.

Just seems . . . dangerous. And sneaky. An attempt to inspire the feeling of safety and security where that doesn't actually exist.

C'mon girls, tell us your secrets and give us your photo. It's just us girls here, you're safe.
Do you mean like a person who could easily photoshop a photo of the person's identity they are trying to steal to attempt to get around the "ID.me" verification?

After all, criminals who specialize in ID Theft with creating fake documents, forging signatures, and specializes in spoofing online profiles, could NEVER think of doing anything like that. They are all honest upstanding citizens who would just sit back and figure the IRS finally figured out a way to stop them.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:48 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
I'd say if the President of the United States can openly state he will only consider one race and gender for a lifelong appointment to the Supreme Court, then this site is well within their rights to allow only one gender to use their freaking website. Tired of those people who scream " all inclusive, no prejudice" concerning one issue, only to turn around and support a similar screening process simply because it fits their agenda. However, I do wonder how effective this facial recognition software the site is using will actually be. I personally see "naturally born females" who look a lot like men all the time. And occasionally, I see men with extremely feminine features who could easily pass for a woman if they chose to. I feel like there will still a few transwomen who will slip through this screening process.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:50 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Do you mean like a person who could easily photoshop a photo of the person's identity they are trying to steal to attempt to get around the "ID.me" verification?

After all, criminals who specialize in ID Theft with creating fake documents, forging signatures, and specializes in spoofing online profiles, could NEVER think of doing anything like that. They are all honest upstanding citizens who would just sit back and figure the IRS finally figured out a way to stop them.
Oh, I realize it's not fool proof.

As I understand it, you submit to the IRS, when you set up this security system, a legal document with your photo. A passport, a driver license, etc.

Then when you log in, to do business, you provide a selfie of your face so they can see it's you by comparing your selfie with your submitted government ID.

Often hackers have no photo of the person whose identity they're trying to steal. They have a name, a SSN maybe a driver license, or maybe they're somehow able to open files with passcodes, but they don't have a selfie of the person they're hacking.

It looks to me this is one more screening tool to keep your money/IRS account safe.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I'd say if the President of the United States can openly state he will only consider one race and gender for a lifelong appointment to the Supreme Court, then this site is well within their rights to allow only one gender to use their freaking website. Tired of those people who scream " all inclusive, no prejudice" concerning one issue, only to turn around and support a similar screening process simply because it fits their agenda. However, I do wonder how effective this facial recognition software the site is using will actually be. I personally see "naturally born females" who look a lot like men all the time. And occasionally, I see men with extremely feminine features who could easily pass for a woman if they chose to. I feel like there will still a few transwomen who will slip through this screening process.
That was my first question, posted earlier. I see women who look like men, and vice versa.

I'd really like to see how successful they are, in determining who is male and who is female by skull structure. As far as I know, Medical Examiners haven't been able to do it.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:54 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Fine with me.

I have no problem with some organizations/clubs/etc being gender specific.

Doesn't affect my life one bit.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:56 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post

Exactly. Funny how that argument is dismissed outright because "government" sites are SO safe. No hacking there. Ever. Everything is hackable. And the government has you best interests at heart always.

But UPROAR if a site claims it's using it to protect women. In that case, it's a bad thing, apparently. Because ... agenda.

Hypocrisy is just off the charts these days. It's not even hidden anymore.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Fine with me.

I have no problem with some organizations/clubs/etc being gender specific.

Doesn't affect my life one bit.
Everyone in this thread would agree with you, it seems.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
But, if you had a picture of yourself on Facebook, or even on the internet in general, couldn't someone who wanted to access your IRS portal use that picture? How would they even use the picture to prove you are who you say you are?

As far as Giggle, I'm not sure what the point is. Wouldn't most young women just use a group text with their friends?
Well, yes, in theory they could get a pic from social media if they can find you on social media.

But they'd have to get it right. They'd have to track you down and trust that the Derek Johnson they're looking for, is the Derek Johnson whose facebook they find.

I don't know how the IRS site could be hacked - whether typically all you have is a SSN and then go from there, maybe not even having a name to go by.

This isn't perfect.

But it's a step toward better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies