Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much will YOU pay for saving the planet?
$100 month or less 25 53.19%
$101-$300 month 2 4.26%
$301-$1000 month 3 6.38%
Any amount 17 36.17%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 08:00 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times

Advertisements

You're already paying for the environmental damage through disaster recovery, food costs, and health impacts. We're stuck paying those; willingness has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 08:05 AM

4,545 posts, read 2,269,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Where’s the option for $0?
That would have been my choice as well. None of these things are going to do anything to save the planet.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:12 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,212,399 times
I'll chip in a buck. Everyone should watch that Geroge Carlin clip - funny and truthful and explains the absurdity of some of the sheep that virtue signal. Follow the money... it is always about money.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:22 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
How much per month are you willing to pay to save the planet? NOT SOMEONE else. You. As we start to see higher heating bills, higher gasoline bills, etc., it s apparent to anyone with a brain that we are going to pay through the nose for these things.

So how much are you willing to pay for it YOURSELF?
Be more specific. If you’re talking about installing solar, it will pay for itself after like 10 years and then after that the home owner actually saves money.

If you’re talking about an EV, I paid $51,000 for a Tesla Model 3 and it was worth every penny on account of it being freaking amazing. It is way better than any other car I’ve driven so the fact that it is electric is just icing on the cake.

If you’re talking organic recycling our city gives us a separate garbage bin for that and collects it each week free of charge.

If you’re talking paying a surcharge for clean energy, I enrolled in a program with my electric company to only allocate wind/solar power to my home and pay the difference. After about a year of this the electric company informed me that they would no longer give me a surcharge since the price of solar and wind had come down to the point where it is actually cheaper than gas/coal.

If you’re talking limiting flights, we actually save money by doing this. We mainly take roadtrips in our Tesla which ends up being quite a bit cheaper than filling up an internal combustion car with gas, so once again we come out ahead.

Bottom line - “saving the planet” doesn’t actually cost very much at all.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:25 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Zero Dollars and Zero Cents Exactly.

Rumor has it that paper grocery bags and paper straws burn MORE carbon in the production process than their plastic counterparts. Also, soggy paper straws are gross.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:25 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,961 times
I mean really are you willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice and just jump off a bridge?

Old 01-31-2022, 08:27 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
I turn the lights off when I leave the room. Try not to waste water. Throw my bottles and cans in the recycle bin. Isn't that enough?

Old 01-31-2022, 08:28 AM

4,545 posts, read 2,269,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Be more specific. If you’re talking about installing solar, it will pay for itself after like 10 years and then after that the home owner actually saves money.

If you’re talking about an EV, I paid $51,000 for a Tesla Model 3 and it was worth every penny on account of it being freaking amazing. It is way better than any other car I’ve driven so the fact that it is electric is just icing on the cake.

If you’re talking organic recycling our city gives us a separate garbage bin for that and collects it each week free of charge.

If you’re talking paying a surcharge for clean energy, I enrolled in a program with my electric company to only allocate wind/solar power to my home and pay the difference. After about a year of this the electric company informed me that they would no longer give me a surcharge since the price of solar and wind had come down to the point where it is actually cheaper than gas/coal.

If you’re talking limiting flights, we actually save money by doing this. We mainly take roadtrips in our Tesla which ends up being quite a bit cheaper than filling up an internal combustion car with gas, so once again we come out ahead.

Bottom line - “saving the planet” doesn’t actually cost very much at all.

Says the person that was able to afford a 51K Tesla and does organic recycling. I feel like it's an episode of Portlandia.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:30 AM

10,851 posts, read 4,529,826 times
The 'earth' will be just fine. Its the bi-pedals walking around on it I am not so sure of. And recent events makes we wonder if 'saving' is the best option.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:30 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
If the earth is in jeopardy then money wouldn't mean anything, so obviously all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies