Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much will YOU pay for saving the planet?
$100 month or less 25 53.19%
$101-$300 month 2 4.26%
$301-$1000 month 3 6.38%
Any amount 17 36.17%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 02:09 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

If everybody buys a Tesla for their next car, then I guess that will help "save" the earth.

So, how much more are your monthly car payments going to be if you get a Tesla instead of whatever car you were hoping to buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 02:15 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We have been driving fuel efficient cars since the first fuel crisis. The entire family. And we drive reasonably so as to not waste fuel. We learned to hard way. Doing my civic duty to limit gasoline use, I bought a Volkswagen Dasher. It was at the dealer shop more than my house the first year. The lawyer said trade it in. The sales manager at the Ford dealership informed me "it was easier to get rid of the clap, than a Dasher" so we lost money on that deal. That was days before the lemon law.

We put in Low e windows in the last 4 houses, as well as added insulation

We installed the highest SEER rated HVAC that was available n the last 5 houses

We have used induction cooking for 20 years

We had large trees installed on the sunny sides of the house

We put in more energy efficient 2 speed pool pumps in 2 houses and ran them less time, in the middle of the night

We bought an energy efficient washer and dryer

Were we not so old as never see any return on the investment we would install solar since our state finally permitted the meter to run both ways. And our electric bill on a 3400 foot house averages less that 125 a month, so the benefit would be to the environment. But there are the panels to consider. So the trade off would need to be calculated.

I try to keep up with the true cost of petroleum products as well as the damage done by battery needs. From what I have learned over the years there are many medical, environmental and defense cost associated with the use of fossil fuels. That, coupled with Putin and the Saudis inform me we need to find a better way.

But the people on CD inform me it's more trouble than it is worth, there is no problem, and if there were God will take care of it.
OK, so where does turning off Dancing With The Stars come in? Apparently, the people you scolded cannot have low E windows installed if they spend an hour per week watching that show. Or plant trees, or use efficient pumps on the galactic waste of water and energy that is the swimming pool, or buy energy efficient washer and dryer, or any of the other stuff. Shame on them for letting that TV show wreck the planet.

Seriously, a 3400 sq ft house with a pool...and you lecture others on their friendliness to Mother Earth. LOL.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:16 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
And we have never bought or used bottled water. We have a filter on the frig that also removes pharmaceuticals. And portable containers. The plastic people did the research. They tell me to imagine that bottle 1/4 filled with oil because that's how much oil it takes to put that bottle of water into a persons hand.

I will be thinking of stuff all day.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
And we have never bought or used bottled water. We have a filter on the frig that also removes pharmaceuticals. And portable containers. The plastic people did the research. They tell me to imagine that bottle 1/4 filled with oil because that's how much oil it takes to put that bottle of water into a persons hand.

I will be thinking of stuff all day.
I don't drink bottled water because it's economically retarded. I drink water out of a Brita or right out of the tap if my wife or I forgot to fill up the Brita. I don't go to Starbucks to get coffee for the same reason. I can make coffee for a month in my kitchen for what one cup at Starbucks costs. I don't do economically retarded things because it makes no sense to waste money, not because I worry about how the Earth feels about it.

But I also live in a 1500 sq ft house with no pool, and that lowers my carbon and economic footprint quite a bit. My wife and I don't spend money needlessly, and another 2000 sq ft of house would be a massive waste of money. Don't even get me started on the waste of water and energy that is the swimming pool. Had one once, never having one again.

And I can proudly say I do not watch Dancing With The Stars.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
You know i was being silly about DWTS. Are you a producer? My comment was to illustrate wasting time.
And my point clowning that was how silly you sound making the assumption that leisure pursuits mean people cannot be energy and/or cost efficient in their daily lives.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:31 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Nothing can save the earth. It will eventually be destroyed by the sun, when the sun becomes a red giant. And it's going to happen regardless of what man does on earth. Our galaxy is on a collision course with M31. Eventually the two galaxy's will collide. No telling what will happen to earth and/or it's solar system when this occurs. Of course these events are destined to occur in hundreds of millions of years from now.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:32 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Ugh I hate the "save the planet", "global warming", "climate change" discussion so much because it distracts from what both parties should care about- pollution. Nobody wants dirty air or dirty water.

If you can make a plastic bottle for water in a way that doesn't pollute, and you can get it from manufacturer to consumer to landfill in a way that keeps the air clean and the water clean, then it's not harming anyone to keep drinking bottled water.

If you can produce electricity cleanly via solar, nuclear, hydro, or wind, who cares if you leave a 100w light bulb on all day or set the AC at 62 or the heat at 84.

I just HATE the way this all got so political. Energy efficiency and environmental protection are something everyone can rally around, but by turning it into a religion it's caused half the country to think they hate it and the other half to go nuts trying to appease the "gods of green" by going overboard on every little "climate microaggression".

Old 01-31-2022, 02:34 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Ugh I hate the "save the planet", "global warming", "climate change" discussion so much because it distracts from what both parties should care about- pollution. Nobody wants dirty air or dirty water.

If you can make a plastic bottle for water in a way that doesn't pollute, and you can get it from manufacturer to consumer to landfill in a way that keeps the air clean and the water clean, then it's not harming anyone to keep drinking bottled water.

If you can produce electricity cleanly via solar, nuclear, hydro, or wind, who cares if you leave a 100w light bulb on all day or set the AC at 62 or the heat at 84.

I just HATE the way this all got so political. Energy efficiency and environmental protection are something everyone can rally around, but by turning it into a religion it's caused half the country to think they hate it and the other half to go nuts trying to appease the "gods of green" by going overboard on every little "climate microaggression".
It got political because there is so much tax payer money involved and up for grabs by the federal and local politicians.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:36 PM

2,612 posts, read 929,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
How much per month are you willing to pay to save the planet? NOT SOMEONE else. You. As we start to see higher heating bills, higher gasoline bills, etc., it s apparent to anyone with a brain that we are going to pay through the nose for these things.

So how much are you willing to pay for it YOURSELF?
To actually save the earth or to send money to the government to waste under the false pretense of it being to save the earth?

Old 01-31-2022, 02:36 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post

So how much are you willing to pay for it YOURSELF?
The question lacks some context. If the earth were to be destroyed in the next few years, the only logical answer is "any amount". Why would I care if gas is $50 per gallon if the alternative is destruction of all civilization? I would sign over my life savings (well in excess of $1 million). What good would money be to me?

On the other hand, if we're talking about something that could happen far off in the future, the answer is different. I care about myself, my kids and grandkids, so that takes us out to the end of this century. What happens after that is none of my concern.

It also depends what is meant by "saving' the earth. As I said above, destruction of human civilization is one thing. If we're talking about having to put up with a few more heat waves in the summer, that's different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies