Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 02:33 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times

Advertisements

You have the same memories I do, danielj72.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 02:47 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You have the same memories I do, danielj72.
I suppose a great many of us who grew up in the 1970s do. I’m sure some of that has something to do with the development of my political attitudes as well. I still love President Reagan to this day, his leadership helped fixed the problems of the late 70s and early 80s. He made America great again before it was cool

Old 02-06-2022, 03:13 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Unfortunately, I had to buy a house at the end of the Carter years and my mortgage rate was 16%. So, I guess I was paying you those high interest rates. Like most economic times, there were losers (me) and winners (you).
I purchased a home in the Carter years and paid 17% interest, I loved it..! I was young and single and the house payments were more than I brought home a month. I rented rooms to friends who paid the mortgage and I benefited from the tax write off. That got me started in the RE business as a sideline and made I more money on the side than I did in my career job. Can't beat CA RE..!

Last edited by Grumpy ol' Man; 02-06-2022 at 03:28 PM..

Old 02-06-2022, 03:20 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
We do not share the same memory.

My memory is of badly trained pilots, helicopters that could not operate in the desert and the Pentagon telling a POTUS something was doable when it was not.

I remember gas lines. It was almost rationed. My neighbor owned a Shell station. She couldn't hold back enough gasoline for her own car. If you think toilet paper hoarding created a problem the exact same thing happened with gasoline. Most people in line were topping off a 3/4 full tank.

I also remember Carter did not want the Shah here but was lied to and persuaded by Kissinger and Rockefeller to let him come because the USA was the only place on earth where treatment was available.

But my memory goes back to Nixon's inflation stopping wage and price controls. People were still jumpy about that.

But, Teddy Kennedy didn't like outsider Carter, so ran against him in the primary. Kennedy and Eleanor Smeal did more damage to Carter than anything Carter did.

Some of his picks we out of their league. But no VP has to resigned due to a bribery conviction.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:23 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I was young back in the 70s but I clearly remember the problems. I remember the gas problems, I remember those hostages in Iran (the teachers wrote the day in captivity on the board every morning) I remember when Carter bungled a rescue attempt. I remember classmates having to move away when their dads lost their jobs in the recession. I definitely remember that things were not good and Carter couldn’t fix it. I also remember when Reagan did fix it.

However we had all the food we needed and grocery shelves were full. There were no riots. We were not lied to by government officials and forced to wear masks to school. No one made us take a shot. Car lots were actually full of cars. While Carter may not have been the best president the government itself was much more competent as were our state governments. The country was in a recession but it was still solid, United in our common values and in no danger of collapse. This is no longer the case. Political divisions today threaten the union itself. Our elections today are questionable. The government is considered illegitimate by large numbers of Americans. Biden may be controlled by others but it is his name on everything. He is clearly either the worst President in history or the second worst (let’s not forget Buchanan was inept in the face of the coming civil war) Its a toss up between the two of them and only time will tell if Biden gets credit for a civil war too.

No comparison, as bad as Carter was Biden has taken being terrible to a whole new level. His regime is Despotic, illegitimate and incompetent. It is the worst....we can only hope the military takes over soon. At least we can trust them, their patriotism and dedication to the constitution.
Your post sure brings back memories, and very accurate.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:29 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We do not share the same memory.

My memory is of badly trained pilots, helicopters that could not operate in the desert and the Pentagon telling a POTUS something was doable when it was not.

I remember gas lines. It was almost rationed. My neighbor owned a Shell station. She couldn't hold back enough gasoline for her own car. If you think toilet paper hoarding created a problem the exact same thing happened with gasoline. Most people in line were topping off a 3/4 full tank.

I also remember Carter did not want the Shah here but was lied to and persuaded by Kissinger and Rockefeller to let him come because the USA was the only place on earth where treatment was available.

But my memory goes back to Nixon's inflation stopping wage and price controls. People were still jumpy about that.

But, Teddy Kennedy didn't like outsider Carter, so ran against him in the primary. Kennedy and Eleanor Smeal did more damage to Carter than anything Carter did.

Some of his picks we out of their league. But no VP has to resigned due to a bribery conviction.
Carter cut the defense budget to the bone, also young people who were facing jail were given a option of jail or military, at least that what I remember, I just graduated high school so my memory could be off. Reagan stopped that program.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:42 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
IIRC, Carter intended to make a career in the Navy, but had to go home to help his mother with the farm.

As a Naval Academy graduate he probably had a good notion of how buying planes worked and contracts were let.

He did cut the defense contractor portion of the budget, but the enlisted got raises.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:12 PM

2,335 posts, read 814,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Are you seriously old enough to remember the economy during the Carter admin?
I was in High School and College during Carter's administration. That has absolutely nothing to do with the comment you quoted. If you have a comment related to what I said, feel free.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:51 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
For those of us not alive in the 1970s... can people here confirm that Carter was less of a disaster than Joe Biden?

Confirmed.

Jimmy Carter is a good man. He served admirably in WWII, continues to do good work, and is as close to honest as one can get in politics.

What he was not was an effective crisis manager. He was hit with many and tried his best to meet the challenges. He fell short and the voters responded accordingly. So it goes.

Joe Biden, in direct contrast, is a serial liar. The man plagiarizes others, lies about his grades and accomplishments, and only shuts up when his aged brain stalls.

Like Carter, he faces many crises. Unlike Carter, they are all of his own making.

Short answer- I would swap them in a heartbeat.

Anybody want to contrast Mondale with Harris?

Old 02-07-2022, 12:33 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Carter had ineptitude, Obama had malicious intent, Biden has ineptitude due to senility and has puppet masters with malicious intent. Biden is the worst of both worlds but he's not really in control of himself.
Carter was an ineffective leader because he was too nice and could not delegate responsibility. He is a good man and I believe he sincerely cares about Americans to this day. The difference between the Carter and Biden administrations is more due to the changes in the Democrat party. Back in the 20th century what separated the Democrats and Republicans was just purely ideological or differences of opinions. In the 21st century the Democrats have pivoted to supporting globalism and the globalists while the Republicans are still putting America first or at least hiding any support for the globalists.

The mainstream media has gone hardcore globalist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies