Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 10:45 AM

8,918 posts, read 5,937,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Loved the interest rates on savings during the Carter years. I'll take them again !
Unfortunately, I had to buy a house at the end of the Carter years and my mortgage rate was 16%. So, I guess I was paying you those high interest rates. Like most economic times, there were losers (me) and winners (you).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 10:45 AM

23,761 posts, read 14,883,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Unfortunately, Democrats like high gas prices, because they like to use it as leverage to push renewable energy and public transit (which, they themselves wouldn’t use, but they want the peasants out of their cars!).

But for the rest of us who are normal people who are impacted by these things, I agree!
This sometime democratic voter would love to see the true cost of gasoline paid by the end user. Include all the cost. Like the earthquakes caused by pumping fracking water back into the ground. And the other medical and environmental cost that are ignored.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:03 AM

13,335 posts, read 4,166,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This sometime democratic voter would love to see the true cost of gasoline paid by the end user. Include all the cost. Like the earthquakes caused by pumping fracking water back into the ground. And the other medical and environmental cost that are ignored.

Add the cost of you and millions using the internet, laptop and smart phone and the energy it requires. You think the cloud is just a cloud. The hypocrisy from the left really cracks me up.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:31 AM

4,026 posts, read 4,422,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Seems like you left out some metrics on your definition of disaster. I can say that my wife and I are considerably better off today than when Biden took office. She was promoted and received a hefty raise. I just left my job for a new one that should triple my income. Our stock investments are up in the neighborhood of 20%. The market value of our Texas home went from $317k to about $550k. Our home in the SF Bay Area is up over $300k also. Grocery shelves are in good shape and have been since the Henny Pennys started whining about it. And our mortgage payment is down due to the historically low interest rate we got.

I can't say things are all that disastrous to me.

Are you seriously old enough to remember the economy during the Carter admin?

Old 02-01-2022, 01:38 PM

8,287 posts, read 2,901,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
In today's dollars, Jimmy Carters gas prices were just under $4/gallon.
If it was your day to get it based on your license plate number.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:45 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,094,867 times
Carter was so happy when Oblama finally came along, for he was no longer considered the worst POTUS throughout American history. And then a number of years later, Oblama was able to feel the same thing about let's go Braindead. Who knows. Braindead might be feeling the same about Harris in a few years. Never know. The Demolibs are like a case of herpes, as in, the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:29 PM

23,761 posts, read 14,883,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Add the cost of you and millions using the internet, laptop and smart phone and the energy it requires. You think the cloud is just a cloud. The hypocrisy from the left really cracks me up.
You have no clue what I think if I don't spell out here on CD.

I support the end user paying the cost of all utilities and consumer products. No point putting that burden on the taxpayers.

I have weatherized my big house to the point it uses 1/2 the energy of smaller houses. That is reflected in the utility bills.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:05 PM

17,341 posts, read 9,157,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So how are the Marxists supposed to first tear down the infrastructure, such as the Interstates, so they can be built back better? Get out the dynamite and blow them up? What about Hoover Dam? Blow it up, too?
That's not a joke - "blow them up", that's exactly the plan. Those are Racist Freeways and they promised during/after the 2020 Election was the "blow them up". It's actually written into the Infrastructure Bill. Mass Transit, Social Justice projects - that's what the Infrastructure bill is packed full of. $1.3 TRILLION and only $150 BILLION goes to "roads and bridges".

How can people NOT know this??? It was reported for months.
Not on CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS or NPR - but in hearings, in the WSJ and media other than Washington Post and NY Times.

Nominee Buttigieg Vows To Dismantle ‘Racist’ Freeways - StreetsBlog USA

US DOT nominee Pete Buttigieg said the Biden administration has an opportunity to change past federal policies that encouraged highway development through poorer neighborhoods with little regard for the lives of the people who lived there.

“It’s disproportionately Black and brown neighborhoods that were divided by highway projects plowing through them because they didn’t have the political capital to resist,” Buttigieg told CNN’s Jake Tapper on Sunday. “We have a chance to get that right.”

Transportation for America and Third Way released a proposal earlier this month that would undo urban renewal policies. The groups recommended the Biden administration establish a $5-billion grant program for states to use to dismantle downtown expressways and specifies that the land created would be held in a trust for those displaced by the roadway a half-century ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
In today's dollars, Jimmy Carters gas prices were just under $4/gallon.
I won't say Price doesn't matter, but it wasn't the price of gasoline that was the main issue.
It was access to gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
If it was your day to get it based on your license plate number.
Correct - odd/even
1,3.5.7.9 could buy gas on specific days
0,2,4,6,8 could buy gas on specific days

We were lucky enough to have 2 cars - one plate ended ODD, the other plate ended EVEN.
I was a stay at home Mom at the time - I got in the gas lines during the day to fill the tanks.
Keep in mind that these cars were Gas Guzzlers. My 72 Cutless got about 12 miles to the gallon.
Money was tight, I had two small children - I would sit in a gas line for over an hour. A long car trip was out of the question - your couldn't get gasoline.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:33 PM

23,350 posts, read 17,033,588 times
Biden is in a class of his own!!!!!

Jimmy cannot in anyway be compared to the current disaster Biden has created with consequences far out into the future.

biden should stand trial of conducting germ and chemical warfare against the US. This humanitarian disaster is deserving of a trial in the Hague for crimes against humanity.

To compare Biden to Carter is an attempt to elevate the criminal, Biden, to a level of legitimacy.

Don;t do it!

Old 02-06-2022, 02:12 PM

9,441 posts, read 10,726,002 times
I was young back in the 70s but I clearly remember the problems. I remember the gas problems, I remember those hostages in Iran (the teachers wrote the day in captivity on the board every morning) I remember when Carter bungled a rescue attempt. I remember classmates having to move away when their dads lost their jobs in the recession. I definitely remember that things were not good and Carter couldn’t fix it. I also remember when Reagan did fix it.

However we had all the food we needed and grocery shelves were full. There were no riots. We were not lied to by government officials and forced to wear masks to school. No one made us take a shot. Car lots were actually full of cars. While Carter may not have been the best president the government itself was much more competent as were our state governments. The country was in a recession but it was still solid, United in our common values and in no danger of collapse. This is no longer the case. Political divisions today threaten the union itself. Our elections today are questionable. The government is considered illegitimate by large numbers of Americans. Biden may be controlled by others but it is his name on everything. He is clearly either the worst President in history or the second worst (let’s not forget Buchanan was inept in the face of the coming civil war) Its a toss up between the two of them and only time will tell if Biden gets credit for a civil war too.

No comparison, as bad as Carter was Biden has taken being terrible to a whole new level. His regime is Despotic, illegitimate and incompetent. It is the worst....we can only hope the military takes over soon. At least we can trust them, their patriotism and dedication to the constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies