Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 02:32 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
If the Cuban people were actually allowed to decide what they wanted, it would surprise no one, including the communist regime there, which is why they aren't allowed to decide.

But I know that when you said "Cubans" you weren't really referring to the people
You might be making the same mistake that Americans made decades ago when they thought the Cubans would help topple their own government. But Cubans actually defended their island against the US in the bay of pigs invasion.

Americans seem to think that Cubans are living in oppression. Believe me, if they did, they would long have ousted the government during all those decades.

It's the same miscalculation as with China. The West seems to think the the Chinese are oppressed and would like to get rid of their government. But nothing could be further from the truth.

The West should stop projecting its own feelings on other peoples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 02:33 PM

8,116 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
can you add to your laugh or happy hour started early for you?
Well, you said that Cuba joined the Soviet Union.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:38 PM

The biggest problem are exiled Cubans in Florida. They are a silly, yet radical and influential group of people who can't accept that they have lost.
They are not unlike exiled Tibetans, Uyghurs, HKers, etc.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:40 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And who's most opposed to removing it? And why would you want the embargo to remain in place?
The Cubans who lost their country are the ones most intent on keeping it.

Its simple. you dont reward nasty repressive communists. you fight them until they are gone. period. end of discussion.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:33 PM

13,438 posts, read 4,281,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, you said that Cuba joined the Soviet Union.
Context is everything since the conversation was about trade. They joined the Soviet Union as a trading partner. I think without looking it up, Cuba trade with the Soviets accounted 70% or more of Cuba's entire trade. Is that also funny to you?

Old 02-04-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The biggest problem are exiled Cubans in Florida. They are a silly, yet radical and influential group of people who can't accept that they have lost.
They are not unlike exiled Tibetans, Uyghurs, HKers, etc.
Clueless post on this thread. That is calling African slaves for coming to America by force a problem or that they are silly for using their rights and voice for change. They are not the problem. Out of all the Latino groups in the U.S., they are the most economical successful per population ratio and the most that gives to the U.S. economy in revenues and the most patriotic to the U.S. and our laws and in my opinion the best Latin food in the Americas next to the Ricans.

I don't think they lost if you compare their quality of life and freedoms and rights compared to the average Cuban in Cuba. What they don't want is to reward a small group of thugs in their government for doing nothing and make them richer. Cubans exiles votes and pay taxes, so their opinions counts a lot more than the thugs in Cuba.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:54 PM

8,116 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Context is everything since the conversation was about trade. They joined the Soviet Union as a trading partner. I think without looking it up, Cuba trade with the Soviets accounted 70% or more of Cuba's entire trade. Is that also funny to you?

Add a qualifier then , especially since in the same sentence you talk about "protection".

Yeah, you probably did look that up.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Add a qualifier then , especially since in the same sentence you talk about "protection".

Yeah, you probably did look that up.
I suggest you read a few previous posts to know the context of who I'm responding before you want to act funny and ask about my education. We are talking about trade. When I say join it means as a treaty of 2 sides, it doesn't mean they became a state of the Soviet Union and that their new flag became the Soviet flag.

and yes, if you join with a bigger partner in trade, economic protection is what the lower party wants. Thankfully We got that clear. huh?

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 02-04-2022 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-04-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Clueless post on this thread. That is calling African slaves for coming to America by force a problem or that they are silly for using their rights and voice for change. They are not the problem. Out of all the Latino groups in the U.S., they are the most economical successful per population ratio and the most that gives to the U.S. economy in revenues and the most patriotic to the U.S. and our laws and in my opinion the best Latin food in the Americas next to the Ricans.

I don't think they lost if you compare their quality of life and freedoms and rights compared to the average Cuban in Cuba. What they don't want is to reward a small group of thugs in their government for doing nothing and make them richer. Cubans exiles votes and pay taxes, so their opinions counts a lot more than the thugs in Cuba.
The Cubans were not shipped abroad against their will, they simply left Cuba because they didn't like the revolution.

When they are patriotic to the US and US citizens anyway, they should stop trying to meddle in Cuba's internal affairs. Cuba is none of their business. Many of those radicals were not even born in Cuba, but in the US.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The Cubans were not shipped abroad against their will, they simply left Cuba because they didn't like the revolution.

When they are patriotic to the US and US citizens anyway, they should stop trying to meddle in Cuba's internal affairs. Cuba is none of their business. Many of those radicals were not even born in Cuba, but in the US.
LMAO! Many ways to force you out. if I confiscate your home, your savings and your basic rights and make you a property of the regime and if you don't agree I will arrest you, torture you and sent you to a re-education camp that is giving you a choice of staying in peace? Whatever you say. Another reason not to lift the embargo. You are on a roll. What's the problem? They are not getting our credit to buy our iphones. Get them from China directly. Both have many things in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies