Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 12:34 PM

29,059 posts, read 14,387,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So, it seems most people want prohibitive laws passed plus some free stuff thrown in. Free stuff more important than freedom.
I pretty much disagree with you on everything. Although, your statement is spot on. And it really is scary seeing so many that want this.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:36 PM

14,873 posts, read 12,019,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I’m in my 30s….think many people want marijuana legalized, free healthcare, free college, affordable housing, etc.
Have they thought about who's supposed to pay for all that free stuff? Because if they haven't learned up to this point, they'll learn once they become the adults responsible for running things, that there really IS no free ride.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
I see the same thing! Wtf are 75 year olds who are worth millions and millions still going to work at 730am everyday.
Because they want to. Who are you to decide when someone retires ?

Old 02-01-2022, 12:42 PM

9,415 posts, read 4,261,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
You think if you outwork your manager, they're just going to swap places with you?
Actually, yes. I work in engineering and have seen this happen (and happen to me) many times. When I was younger, I got promoted past older workers and even managed people who were previously my supervisor. Now that I'm old, many younger workers are getting promoted above me - some of whom worked for me in the past. I remember telling some of these folks that one day they would be my boss - because I recognized their potential and did everything I could to clear the path for their upward trajectory. Good managers aren't threatened by subordinates who are superior to them.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Actually, yes. I work in engineering and have seen this happen (and happen to me) many times. When I was younger, I got promoted past older workers and even managed people who were previously my supervisor. Now that I'm old, many younger workers are getting promoted above me - some of whom worked for me in the past. I remember telling some of these folks that one day they would be my boss - because I recognized their potential and did everything I could to clear the path for their upward trajectory. Good managers aren't threatened by subordinates who are superior to them.
Exactly.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:52 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,379,013 times
I'm in my 30's and while I don't have anything to gauge it against, the level of division at this point seems untenable. It feels like a married couple that is "staying together for the kids" but constantly down each other's throats. As is the case with the married couples who hate each other, it seems like it might be better for an amicable divorce, through proper channels.

All of the tyranny and disruption that the left promised would happen under Trump, didn't, but now that the left is in power they are trying to control every aspect of our lives down to the medicines we take and what we wear over our oxygen holes. The right doesn't like high taxes or social spending, likes personal freedom and wants secure borders. The left loves taxes, loves spending, hates personal decision-making, doesn't like punishing criminals, and wants open borders.

Why not amicably split into two countries, each being governed in the way in which it sees fit? That would probably take 10-20 years to accomplish but if not now, when.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:07 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,764,989 times
In my 30s.

One where the Government is downsized at least 75% and my tax burden is reduced by 75% or more. One where politicians spend within their means, get the **** out of our lives and leave us the hell alone.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:12 PM

10,972 posts, read 7,044,434 times
You'll be in for a sad shock, because things will be much worse by the time all boomers are gone, with no way to reverse them. And that's partly because the blame is on the wrong target, and childishly assuming that target gone will magically make everything better.

Fixing the deep problems was and is a job for all ages and groups, but should have started decades ago, in the 80s, when the messes began, at the hands of pre-boomers (people born 1910-1940). Myths of all problems being "boomer-related" will just continue with more myths, that will solve nothing.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-01-2022 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-01-2022, 01:12 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,764,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm in my 30's and while I don't have anything to gauge it against, the level of division at this point seems untenable. It feels like a married couple that is "staying together for the kids" but constantly down each other's throats. As is the case with the married couples who hate each other, it seems like it might be better for an amicable divorce, through proper channels.

All of the tyranny and disruption that the left promised would happen under Trump, didn't, but now that the left is in power they are trying to control every aspect of our lives down to the medicines we take and what we wear over our oxygen holes. The right doesn't like high taxes or social spending, likes personal freedom and wants secure borders. The left loves taxes, loves spending, hates personal decision-making, doesn't like punishing criminals, and wants open borders.

Why not amicably split into two countries, each being governed in the way in which it sees fit? That would probably take 10-20 years to accomplish but if not now, when.
We don't need to split into 2 countries to do that. The Feds just need to go away. The role of the Feds should be limited to national defense, diplomacy, currency and adjudicating disputes between states. NOTHING ELSE.

The state and local governments would then be free to self-govern. New York can have its communist dystopia and Texas can have its small government as long as the Feds leave both New York and Texas alone.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:17 PM

25,415 posts, read 9,720,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Where are we supposed to get the money for free healthcare and college?
Quit funding all the big corporations and their lobbyists for starters. Then make sure people like Amazon pay more than zero in taxes. Quit allowing military contractors to make a killing. Politicians need to quit being on the take and be responsible for the money they have coming into the coffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies