Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 02:51 PM

2,953 posts, read 991,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Then their kids later will blame them for the exact same thing they blamed the boomers and the boomers blamed the greatest generation, and so on.
Here's the thing - We didn't blame the greatest generation. We may have hated their music and liked weed a lot more than they did but we never whimpered like little beatch3z and blamed them for whatever perceived hurdles we encountered in life. "Eewww lookit all of you with your GI benefits and free college and cheap "little boxes" housing and your simple conformist 50s lives" ... Never mind that you came back from Peleliu with a leg full of shrapnel and a thousand yard stare. No we didn't take that cop out. They lived their age the best that they could, pretty much like most generations do. If you kids think you can do it better and invent the "right way to live life" then do it and prove it and just $tFu in the meantime. If your children don't whimper to you about how uniquely painful life is for them then it's probably because the generational cycle will have clicked over from "soft men make hard times" to "hard times make hard men". If that's the case (and I think it may be) then your generation will go down not as a role model but as a cautionary tale.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:55 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Slavery anyone?
Ah yes, backwards-land: the alternative universe where Jeff Bezos is an oppressed slave and his workers are the oppressors. I'm stuck in this reality, though.

If stealing the king's crown and selling it for potato soup ingredients is a sin, then I worship Satan himself. Call me unethical, it's fine.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:58 PM

10,809 posts, read 4,501,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Just like a boomer to respond on behalf of the 18-40 year olds. Good gravy, couldn't even wait for ONE actual 18-40 year old to actually respond before chiming in with your perspective.

What the boomers had taken away? Wow, how refreshing.

Actual 18-40 year olds won't actually get to have kids or a mortgage. That is already real.

nah, you need to put on a few years and learn a little more. That one thing in this land has NEVER changed...each generation wants what was, and the further we get away from 'america', the generations go back; Used to be just parents, now its grandparents too.

But its good to wish - even if it cannot be obtained. I fear my youngest (14) will not be able to find the quality of life when he is my age, that I have now.

My wife and I have exactly 3 smack in the middle of this age range (23, 29, 32) and lo and behold, as I stated, as each finds marriage, not hook ups, mortgages, not rentals, and children - pow. They stop voting democrat, goto school meetings, and select houses based on QoL safety. I think the technical term is 'growing up'. Sprinkled liberally with common sense. so to answer your first sentence, it is EXACTLY as I said. ( you are going to get the same answer whose life is not interwoven with social media disease.)

Part of being older, should one make it, is the ability to recognize the value in intangible things and see the patterns and take pride when your offspring suddenly realizes you were not as stupid as they thot you were from age 15. I hope you get there someday.

In a way, Im kinda bummed you didnt have anyone to teach you this. For that I am sorry. Not ruin my day kind of sorry, but still...

Ps - Im a tweener. I am the exact last year of the boom. Sweating out the next retirement age shift. when my generation is gone, the USA is in deep doo cuz very very few people younger than me know how anything works or how to do anything practical. 100% dependent on the good graces of others for survival. OR put another way, when the zombies attack and the lights go out, do you know even where to look, to get the lights back on? better learn horseback and real fast...

Old 02-01-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Thanks to Reagan.

??? I paid off my student debt over 25 years ago. thanks to reagan.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:05 PM

1,690 posts, read 607,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
One where I can actually get a senior position because all these boomers just refuse to retire. I thought the golden years were supposed to involve not working.
Maybe they are in the same position you are, in that they can’t afford to retire. Costs have gone way too high for some things. Energy, housing, cars, phone service (although one can find cheap service if desired), and lower expectations about fancy vacations etc. Welcome to globalization pushed by both the left and right that has kept wages stagnant for two decades. The good news is, the market is kind of working right now as employers are forced to raise wages or lose employees. The fact that one can work at target for $15 hr. Is mind blowing when it was $7 hr 15 years ago. Professional salaries are slowly going up too.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Here's the thing - We didn't blame the greatest generation. We may have hated their music and liked weed a lot more than they did but we never whimpered like little beatch3z and blamed them for whatever perceived hurdles we encountered in life. "Eewww lookit all of you with your GI benefits and free college and cheap "little boxes" housing and your simple conformist 50s lives" ... Never mind that you came back from Peleliu with a leg full of shrapnel and a thousand yard stare. No we didn't take that cop out. They lived their age the best that they could, pretty much like most generations do. If you kids think you can do it better and invent the "right way to live life" then do it and prove it and just $tFu in the meantime. If your children don't whimper to you about how uniquely painful life is for them then it's probably because the generational cycle will have clicked over from "soft men make hard times" to "hard times make hard men". If that's the case (and I think it may be) then your generation will go down not as a role model but as a cautionary tale.

egg-axctly.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:07 PM

27,118 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Ah yes, backwards-land: the alternative universe where Jeff Bezos is an oppressed slave and his workers are the oppressors. I'm stuck in this reality, though.

If stealing the king's crown and selling it for potato soup ingredients is a sin, then I worship Satan himself. Call me unethical, it's fine.
I'm referring to the lazy living off of the backs of those that are willing to work for what they get as opposed to "free" things which only exist in fairytales.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:19 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,231,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
they are going to want the same environment the boomers always expected but had taken away. once of course they lose interest in gaming and social media.

by the time someone gets a couple kids in school and a mortgage, stuff gets real. just witness loudon county VA, and the state in whole.

November, cannot get here fast enough.
Most young adults in my life (children, nieces and children of friends) have kids, mortgages, educations and good jobs. They want exactly what we want. They do not live in a London Cty kind of area. They want equality for all, good educations for kids and more than anything else, they want to save the planet.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:29 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,029,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I’m in my 30s….think many people want marijuana legalized, free healthcare, free college, affordable housing, etc.
And this would be easy to achieve if the government would ban American companies from outsourcing and relying on H1B1 Visas and immigrant workers here in the states to keep wages low (the lower the wages, the lower the revenue pumped into the system).

As for affordable housing. May have to pass a law where one person can own no more than 3 personal homes or 10 rental properties per state, and a corporation can't own no more than 2 apartment or condos in the entire country. We have monopoly laws on the books and they should be used to keep all of our precious land out of the hands of the top one percent.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:45 PM

11,767 posts, read 5,780,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
One where I can actually get a senior position because all these boomers just refuse to retire. I thought the golden years were supposed to involve not working.
Actually the main reason we don't have enough workers is because so many boomers retired while in Covid lockdown. Are you sue you have what it takes to fill the position as my son has been promtoed twice within the past 2 years - but he knows his job, has a head on his shoulders and is not afraid of hard work which I don't see in a lot of our younger people these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies