Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 02:08 PM

164 posts, read 53,572 times

Advertisements

(This comes from another post of mine in another sub-forum):

Why do you have to be part of a minority to be marginalized? I would love to play cornerback in the NFL... there are 64 starting CB positions in the league, and they are 100% filled by black players. Am I marginalized because I'm white? Should there be racial quotas? (of course the NBA is a very similar situation)

In other words, is meritocracy fine as long as it doesn't adversely affect minorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 02:18 PM

6,595 posts, read 4,974,569 times
Very silly examples. How many Div 1 white cornerbacks were there last year, where did they rank in their relevant statistics? Do you think you are too slow to play CB in the NFL because you are white?, I dont think thats the case. If you have some serious enquiry into power dynamics theory, there is lots of books on the matter, most people are exposed to them if you have taken any business post grad classes.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:26 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,275,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Very silly examples. How many Div 1 white cornerbacks were there last year, where did they rank in their relevant statistics? Do you think you are too slow to play CB in the NFL because you are white?, I dont think thats the case. If you have some serious enquiry into power dynamics theory, there is lots of books on the matter, most people are exposed to them if you have taken any business post grad classes.
Not silly at all. If skill, knowledge, qualifications, performance, etc are not the most important qualities in college admissions, hiring, promotion and appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court, why should should they matter in DI college athletics or professional sports leagues?

Old 02-03-2022, 02:27 PM

5,938 posts, read 2,188,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestOldboy View Post

Why do you have to be part of a minority to be marginalized? I would love to play cornerback in the NFL... there are 64 starting CB positions in the league, and they are 100% filled by black players. Am I marginalized because I'm white? Should there be racial quotas? (of course the NBA is a very similar situation)

In other words, is meritocracy fine as long as it doesn't adversely affect minorities?
No, you're just too slow

Football is true meritocracy for Players Only, everything else (Coaching, other staff) is more like the corporate BS everyone deals with. Nothing matters except your ability to play concerning players.

There are less white players for the same reason there are less white boxers. It is not a skill issue, #1 heavy weight boxer is White, #1 Wide Receive in the NFL is White, #1 QB in the NFL is White, #1 sack leader is White, the MVP of the leauge this year will likely be white, many Pro Bowl white players just go look for yourself.

https://www.nfl.com/pro-bowl/

So what is this all about then? Why the decline of the White Athlete

We talk about Black parenting all the time here. Let's look at White parenting and the wussification of your culture leading to the decline of the sport in your communities. My observations as a Black Man looking at White Surburban America.

Perhaps it is the White community that has moved away from sports. If you don't let your kids play outside how are they going to get good at a sport, right? And what type of parenting has been popular in the White Communities for 2 decades?

Helicopter parenting.

Throwing Neosporin on every abrasion is not a pathway to playing sports. This is why most White Football players come from rural areas or have a family history of football players, they are the only ones allowed outside to play.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:33 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,581,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestOldboy View Post

ice up son

Old 02-03-2022, 02:34 PM

6,457 posts, read 2,861,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post

Perhaps it is the White community that has moved away from sports. If you don't let your kids play outside how are they going to get good at a sport, right? And what type of parenting has been popular in the White Communities for 2 decades?

Helicopter parenting.
I am not challenging that view at all, but I am curious if it is something that begs a response in the way of government legislation to counter.

If those white folk are freely choosing to baby their kids that's just the way the cookie crumbles, right?
Maybe they'll end up as scientists or some wall street coke head?

Old 02-03-2022, 02:41 PM

164 posts, read 53,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Do you understand the definition of meritocracy?

Old 02-03-2022, 02:48 PM

27,534 posts, read 15,988,858 times
Tom Brady (white guy) is the best ball player in history. Is that not enough? Geez

Old 02-03-2022, 02:50 PM

13,817 posts, read 5,532,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Tom Brady (white guy) is the best ball player in history. Is that not enough? Geez
At QB maybe, but at other positions, not so much.

If you go by position, it is a decent split between white and black.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:57 PM

24,296 posts, read 17,023,261 times
You do not have to be a member of a minority to be marginalized because the Democrats will put you in a category that fits their identity politics. The most disliked group right now are white males but if you are gay, trans or a pajama boy activist for social justice then you can be part of their team and be marginalized to your hearts content.

Considering the NFL, Roger Goodell is pushing to have more black guys placed in top coaching positions. It doesn't seem to matter if they are qualified or not it is all about image, perception and catering to the Woke. I don't know why we do not see more women in coaching positions? There are a few female refs but come on man!! Each team should be required to hire a certain number of Women, Asians, Hispanics, Gay and Trans people. We need Affirmative Action in the NFL now both on and off the field.
Football is America's sport and the players and supporting personnel should reflect the many faces of America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies