Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 06:25 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…it’s extremely racist. Unfortunately, these folks can’t simply live life without trying to shove their feelings down folks throats and insist others should think and live like they do. On the bright side, it’s obvious many are over it as constantly crying wolf makes these folks be taken less seriously.
Why is it racist have Black History Month but fine to have all the other months?

Old 02-05-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolPowers View Post
Whiteness is a social construct.

One can 'look white' but not be considered actually white. Just ask the Irish.

The reason why we have 'black culture' and not really ' white culture' is because American black culture developed it's own identity from lack of identity since they were de-rooted.

There's Irish/German/Russian cultures because most white folks can trace their ancestry and have family history dating back to Europe. Most black folks, their history started from slavery. So really, that makes black history more American than so called 'white history'(outside of Native American culture).
I agree with you except for the part about Black folks’ history started from slavery. It did not. It started far beyond slavery with over 40 ethnic groups, who cultures were obliterated during slavery. There would have been African cultural months rather than “Black” history month.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:32 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Why is it racist have Black History Month but fine to have all the other months?
Because the MEDIA, Government, Education, Tech, etc. don't talk about the other ones AT ALL, EVER.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Because the MEDIA, Government, Education, Tech, etc. don't talk about the other ones AT ALL, EVER.
Yes, they do. It seems you only pay attention to one. The media, government and education DEFINITELY talk about them all.

It seems some people are triggered by Black History Month ONLY.

BHM isn’t racist. The people who oppose it but don’t take issue with other group’s history months are the racists.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:53 AM

1,866 posts, read 932,849 times
People who support black history month, or any other history month for a specific race are apparently ok with racial segregation. You're supporting the racial segregation of a race's history to a specific month. It's incredibly idiotic.

Morgan Freeman said it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

Old 02-05-2022, 07:08 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
People who support black history month, or any other history month for a specific race are apparently ok with racial segregation. You're supporting the racial segregation of a race's history to a specific month. It's incredibly idiotic.

I guess Morgan Freeman is happy that about the only thing we learn about Black people in our history classes is that George Washington Carver "invented" peanut butter (even though he didn't).

It's sad that he doesn't realize that we have Black History Month so that we can learn more about Black people in History who are routinely ignored in our American History classes. I mean why should we have any kind of designated history. Like he says, Black history is American history. Well then, why should we have specific state histories? Why should we have political history? why should we have church history?

I'm ready to have a white history month so these right wing extremists will be happy. But you better not ignore my Swedish history in lieu of other European histories or I'll have to advocate for a Swedish history month.

Last edited by eddie gein; 02-05-2022 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-05-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post

Do you feel that same way about all the history months for the “white” ethnic groups or just the racial ones because those are clearly non-white?

Old 02-05-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
See I learn something new everyday. Since it isn't promoted like Black American month is - I'm sure the majority of the population knows nothing about it.
Hispanic Heritage Month gets PLENTY of attention. There are various ethnic celebrations all over the place. I find it very hard to believe that anyone hasn’t heard of it. I’m sure the majority of the population HAS heard of Hispanic Heritage Month.

Asian/Pacific Heritage Month gets less attention than the other two but it’s definitely celebrated.

Native American Heritage Month less so likely due to their small size. It’s unfortunate.

The holidays are definitely celebrated in the schools but perhaps certain areas choose not to do so. My mother worked in the school system for years and they’ve been celebrating all of these for awhile now. My friends who are teachers tend to post about them. Further, some jobs even hold events or send out emails for these months.

Most people know about other heritage months but some just act like they don’t at one time of the year.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Do you feel that same way about all the history months for the “white” ethnic groups or just the racial ones because those are clearly non-white?
I'm not aware of any history months for white ethnic groups.

I'm ok with holidays or celebrations for specific ethnic groups, but I think it's counterproductive and stupid to have a month devoted to a specific race's history.

The history of black Americans should be taught along with all other U.S. history. It doesn't need its own history month.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I guess Morgan Freeman is happy that about the only thing we learn about Black people in our history classes is that George Washington Carver "invented" peanut butter (even though he didn't).
Ever heard of Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, W.E.B. DuBois, Marcus Garvey, MLK Jr., Clarence Thomas?
I learned about all of them over 20 years ago in public school.

Your statement is ridiculous.
The average U.S. high school history textbook is filled with plenty of examples of black Americans who contributed to history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies