Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 09:28 AM

7,470 posts, read 4,304,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I'm a cop and my standard firearm is Glock 17.

I guess i'm going to war every day while writing traffic tickets or responding to loud noise?
Great point!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 09:40 AM

18,146 posts, read 15,559,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I'm a cop and my standard firearm is Glock 17.

I guess i'm going to war every day while writing traffic tickets or responding to loud noise?
Indeed. I brought this same point up in post #73. Cops patrol our streets every day armed with "weapons of war"such as the Glock in various trim and the AR 15, or even the real deal M4. On other threads debating the "need" for citizens to be armed with such firearms in response to those who say we have no "need" I've asked another question. If the police need such firearms as the AR and now the Glock in it's myriad forms to patrol our neighborhoods 8 hours a day (assuming that 8 hours is spent patrolling and not on paperwork) how is it not proper that we have them since we live, work and raise our families in those same neighborhoods?

The hoplophobes do miss the rhino in the room a lot don't they?

Old 02-07-2022, 10:03 AM

14,136 posts, read 4,519,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed. I brought this same point up in post #73. Cops patrol our streets every day armed with "weapons of war"such as the Glock in various trim and the AR 15, or even the real deal M4. On other threads debating the "need" for citizens to be armed with such firearms in response to those who say we have no "need" I've asked another question. If the police need such firearms as the AR and now the Glock in it's myriad forms to patrol our neighborhoods 8 hours a day (assuming that 8 hours is spent patrolling and not on paperwork) how is it not proper that we have them since we live, work and raise our families in those same neighborhoods?

The hoplophobes do miss the rhino in the room a lot don't they?
I also have an M4 rifle stored inside the patrol vehicle.

If antigun nuts think a Glock 17 is a "weapon of war", then they probably believe M4 is a "weapon of mass destruction"

Old 02-07-2022, 10:23 AM

7,470 posts, read 4,304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Supreme Court will have a lot to say about this in June's ruling - concealed carry is expected to be ruled legal in all 50 states in the NYC lawsuit
Awesome!!!

I had a concealed weapons permit when I lived in New York. Hopefully they'll eliminate a lot of the BS that one had to go through in order to get one in states like New York. My guess is they won't? However instead of issuing "may issue" or restricted permits. They'll have to issue "shall issue" permits. They also won't be able to deny anyone a permit without having a justifiable cause.

The next fight should be for Constitutional Carry status for all 50 states. 21 states now have that status.
Quote:
www.handgunlaw.us › Permitless_Carry_States Permitless Carry States Last Updated: 9/1/2021
https://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/...rry_States.pdf

Old 02-07-2022, 11:24 AM

23,631 posts, read 23,946,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyd View Post
First time i ever shot a Glock it jammed. Junk.
You limp-wristed it.

If you judge a gun by the first time you shoot it and you think the problem is the gun, sell your guns. Now.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:15 PM

15,050 posts, read 10,028,625 times
I think he was referring to the a Glock with a 40 round magazine not the Glock itself. But whatever...

Old 02-07-2022, 02:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 817,931 times
No surprise.

Leftists often get gun terminology all wrong.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:28 PM

13,819 posts, read 5,541,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I think he was referring to the a Glock with a 40 round magazine not the Glock itself. But whatever...
Even if it has a 40 round magazine, doesn't change the natural, individual right to keep and bear arms.

Ammunition capacity of magazines just changes the frequency of reloading. Doesn't alter the caliber of the weapon, the firing mechanism, the fire-eject-reload sequence...nothing. Just what number X reloads will deliver Y number of total rounds.

Tactically, the oversized magazine actually detracts from the balance mechanics, ability to draw the weapon to the aim point, and recoil/re-aim process. Those things are clunky, heavy, bulky, etc. To me, they hamper tactical performance more than they help it, like most silly range toys, but they sure do scare the crap out of idiot politicians.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:42 PM

15,050 posts, read 10,028,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Even if it has a 40 round magazine, doesn't change the natural, individual right to keep and bear arms. .
Hence the discussion is really around at what line is drawn... some will argue no line...

No different from high capacity magazines, full automatic, etc...

But the point is that most in this thread are ignoring that it really is about the magazine capacity not the firearm itself...

Last edited by usayit; 02-07-2022 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-07-2022, 03:05 PM

8,367 posts, read 4,527,424 times
Then you get into what exactly is a high capacity magazine? A Glock (or any other semi-auto pistol) using its factory magazine at say, 17-18 rounds is not high capacity. It is what it was designed to use. They should properly be called standard capacity mags. Special magazines that only hold 10 rounds to make them legal in California are actually low capacity mags but if you somehow squeeze in an 11th round suddenly it is "high capacity" and illegal in there. (well, unless you have 10 in the magazine and one in the chamber, then it's ok, but an empty chamber and 11 in the mag is felony territory. And why the limitation? 10 well placed shots will kill at least 10 people. That is, by definition, a mass shooting. Does California have less mass shootings per capita then next door in Nevada where standard capacity magazines are legal?

What it really boils down to is they want you to have no guns, but until they weasel their way into that, they will settle for less gun then they have (capacity wise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies