Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2022, 11:15 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times

Advertisements

I think at this point, Spotify wants to dump Rogan.

Maybe they have a huge payout to make if they cannot find a compelling "for cause"
reason to terminate him.

Or, HUM, they want to make him ask to be let out of his deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 11:22 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

Maybe they have a huge payout to make if they cannot find a compelling "for cause"
reason to terminate him.

Or, HUM, they want to make him ask to be let out of his deal?
This would make Apple, Amazon and mainstream media very happy to see them fold. Why dump the best asset of your company? Instead, they should double down and offer deals to other free thought leaders, people are desperate for a platform for open debate. They are clearly making an impact, there is so many other personalities that can become just as big if they went for it, sign more deals! Nobody is coming back to CNN and national networks, fill the void Spotify.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:31 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
I haven't, will definitely check it out
The best part starts at ~34:15 minutes... He talks about economic dependency, and how people are unwilling to speak out if it threatens their livelihood. In the video he focuses mostly on government dependency, but all economic dependency works the same way.

Every time I hear some celebrity or corporation apologizing, it reminds me of this video of John Cena... We're all John Cena in our own way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqjOrsMupgg

Last edited by Redshadowz; 02-06-2022 at 12:16 PM..

Old 02-06-2022, 11:44 AM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
The funny thing is that Rogan had an online forum and killed it without saying anything overnight. So it isn't like he is above cancelling people himself. No explanation was ever given to the users no warning or heads up of any kind. I am sure the forum was a headache for him to moderate it was full of racist gun nutsand survivalist types.

Joe himself banned people for using the N word. So it is a tad ironic they are coming for him. He cancelled thousands of forum posters when they became inconvenient. I hope he has a good contract with Spotify. If they cancel him and he gets the $100 million why would he even care at that point? He #hould understand cancelling people is nothing personal it's just business.

It probably just became too much trouble than it was worth then. Also Joe being a podcast host, he chooses the guests, it's not a free for all. There are plenty of forums online to talk about the show as we are doing here.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:55 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
I guess Joe Rogan's interview with Dr. Robert Malone was a blasphemy or a sacrilege for some circles and Jimmy Dore vlogged by claiming then Joe Rogan is not right wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAkLBNRNkOo

Jimmy Dore didn't forget Neil Young either who got some hidden skeletons in his closet. Neil Young was once science skeptic before Covid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAwSFr1hz6c

Last edited by Hrw-500; 02-06-2022 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-06-2022, 12:24 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Holbrook View Post
And, by the way, I had never listened to a single Rogan podcast until this censorship campaign began, but immediately went and looked up the objected-to episodes so I could listen and decide for myself. The "Streisand Effect" strikes again!
This made me wonder about Neil Young. According to Billboard, his streams went up on other platforms after the Spotify debacle. Some of Joni Mitchell's wrk is still on Spotify and her streams there are also up. As I linked further up in this thread, her stuff from the 80s when she was with Geffen Records has not been pulled since Geffen has yet to comply with her wishes.

I can't access the Billboard links, but the headlines tell the story.

Neil Young and Joni Mitchell Streaming

Old 02-06-2022, 12:39 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Spotify is background removing some of Rogan's contents. Why? Is someone or group pressuring Spotify? We do not know for now. But the fact that Spotify is selectively removing some of Rogan's contents without explaining why leave the consumers the option of believing that there is censorship going on.
Spotify should have released a statement why they were pulling those specific episodes of Rogan's podcast. But with India Arie's social media posts, Rogan's own apology and the specific episodes they seem to be pulling, I think we can put one and one and one together and figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
The funny thing is that Rogan had an online forum and killed it without saying anything overnight. So it isn't like he is above cancelling people himself. No explanation was ever given to the users no warning or heads up of any kind. I am sure the forum was a headache for him to moderate it was full of racist gun nutsand survivalist types.

Joe himself banned people for using the N word. So it is a tad ironic they are coming for him. He cancelled thousands of forum posters when they became inconvenient. I hope he has a good contract with Spotify. If they cancel him and he gets the $100 million why would he even care at that point? He #hould understand cancelling people is nothing personal it's just business.
Interesting. I did not know about Rogan's forum. Perhaps that is why he does not mind apologizing for past behavior since he knows Spotify has every right to stop carrying his podcast if they so choose. I found a post on R**dit about it, but I seem to recall we are not supposed to link to that forum. (Which is fine. C-D can do that.) The forum poster says Rogan posted about the forum in 2010 on Twitter about it being "forked up." (Not his exact words.) But I am not about to go that far back on Twitter.

Quote:
I posted above that I could see Spotify doing tis at some point. And I think it would be the consumers driving that bus (by canceling ther Spotify accounts, especially the paid sites) more than music artists and other podcasters since, so far anyway, only a few have chosen to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I guess 11 million people per episode are also racist and wanting to kill people, for supporting Rogan and his show.
I know you're not relying to me, but this is interesting given how many conservatives on this paint call all Democrats with the same broad brush. (Not saying that you do... or that you don't. I don't recall.) I try not to do that with any group, including the people who listen to or watch people I don't agree with but your mileage may vary

Old 02-06-2022, 12:40 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Trump attacking you is not a real consequence when compared to having your opinion silenced.
No one is "silencing" Rogan. He is free to find an outlet that will better support his views. This is no different from Fox News "silencing" liberal commentators; have you ever seen them invite Rachel Maddow to give her opinions? Or CNN inviting Tucker Carlson to present his views?

Media platforms choose who they want to promote, who will bring in the ad revenues and the viewership. Here in the USA $$$ end up deciding who gets the bully pulpit.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:44 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Not going to happen. He as millions of flowerers.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:45 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Because free speech is dead. And censorship is the new American way.

https://news.yahoo.com/spotify-delet...112104415.html
what's stopping him from posting on his own website?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies