Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 08:27 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Mainstream America is speaking English and embracing our culture out in public. Let me give you a hint we aren't know as an Asian, Hispanic etc. country in identity. Our language isn't Mandarin nor Spanish, etc. What's with the lily white remark? I have said nothing about skin color or race it's about out identifying culture.

We used to be a melting pot not so much anymore. We've become a salad bowl of clashing cultures and languages instead.

Where did I say that foreign cultures and languages are only attributed to illegal aliens? Do you have a reading comprehension problem? The fact is that it is a contributing factor though.

I'll post anything I want to about illegal immigration when it's related to a topic. Don't like it then put me on ignore!

Where did I say that you or anyone else that can speak a foreign language has less of a right to be here than I do if they were born here from legal parents or were naturalized here? Throughout you entire post you have accused me of things I haven't said nor implied and that's blatantly dishonest!

It makes me special that I expect immigrants to assimilate into our society out in mainstream America while still retaining their languages and native cultures all they want to at home? How so? Assimilation has always been desirable for immigrants otherwise why come here?

Why do you care if people outside your party/group/people you are directly socializing/interacting with speak English or not ?

Are you afraid they might be talking about you ?

Old 02-14-2022, 08:27 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I said you voted for a birther.

^^^^^ Tells us what we need to know about the relationship between you and Trump’s birtherism.

Nope.

That’s a rationalization.

Trump should have been rejected on not having an acceptable level of character alone.

That you were willing to accept his lack of character as a trade off for policy goals is a reflection upon you.

Nope.

I’m not a Democrat, and I would never vote for Biden. He also lacks the requisite character.

Everything isn’t ‘Us vs. Them’.
You know what, I'm not going to allow you to make me your personal whipping post anymore with your unwarranted personal attacks of me and your refusal to answer any of my questions. You telling me whom I should vote for now and why? GTHOH! Off to my ignore list your go. Find another whipping post! You're nothing but an agitator without any respect for another's opinion and for our traditional and identifying culture. Buh, bye!

Old 02-14-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

Why do you care if people outside your party/group/people you are directly socializing/interacting with speak English or not ?

Are you afraid they might be talking about you ?
If you want to listen to a bunch of foreign babble from people who live here and know English or refuse to learn it and speak it that's your proagative but I don't like feeling I'm living in a foreign country out in public. Why the hell would I think they are talking about me? They don't even know me. Get lost!

Old 02-14-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
And you don't seem to grasp the concept of civil debate without the personal attacks. Why is that? That poster hasn't said one positive thing about our country yet whether it's about our past or our present! If I felt that way I wouldn't remain here even on a part time basis.
Prove me wrong. Explain what I mean/what I’m getting at in the post you replied to above ^^^^^ and I’ll apologize. My post wasn’t meant as an attack.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
What attitude? Revealing what? You keep making statements without any examples or explanations.
I’m not going to be more specific because you would probably take great offense, and I’d be giving you the ammunition to legitimately accuse me of a personal attack, and I’m not going to do that.

Quote:
I couldn't care less what any anti-American posters in here think of me.
Disagreeing with you doesn’t make someone anti-American.

Quote:
There are plenty of patriotic ones that agree with me as well.
We have very different views re what constitutes patriotism.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
If you want to listen to a bunch of foreign babble from people who live here and know English or refuse to learn it and speak it that's your proagative but I don't like feeling I'm living in a foreign country out in public. Why the hell would I think they are talking about me? They don't even know me. Get lost!
SMDH.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
You know what, I'm not going to allow you to make me your personal whipping post anymore with your unwarranted personal attacks of me and your refusal to answer any of my questions. You telling me whom I should vote for now and why? GTHOH! Off to my ignore list your go. Find another whipping post! You're nothing but an agitator without any respect for another's opinion and for our traditional and identifying culture. Buh, bye!
I only refused to answer one of your questions, and I explained why.

Controversies is part of the name of the category.

Naturally there is debate about controversies. It’s part and parcel.

In debate, people often challenge what another has said.

I welcome being challenged. I think challenge makes people better and stronger.

Why would you want to be a part of this particular forum and not want any debate or challenge ?

Do you just want a soapbox where everyone will nod their head and agree with everything you post ?

Old 02-14-2022, 01:19 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
...Foreign languages and cultures in this country don't necessarily equate to illegal immigration. Do you get that? I think you would benefit from finding a new line. Not everything needs to tie back to your continual soap box on illegal immigration.
I really wish that more people would realize that LEGAL immigration is such a thriving and foundational influence for American prosperity. Yes, the trades and the various blue-collar/pink-collar vocations have their share of illegals. I don't condone this. But look how many of our tech CEOs, our college professors, our inventors and investors and members of the creative-class, are foreign born, legal immigrants turned Green Card holders and citizens. Too often, the smear of illegal-this and illegal-that, blights and corrupts our discussion of immigration!

Quote:
Mainstream America is speaking English and embracing our culture out in public. Let me give you a hint we aren't know as an Asian, Hispanic etc. country in identity. Our language isn't Mandarin nor Spanish, etc.
Modern America is the place where all of Planet Earth comes to make money, to patent inventions, to start businesses, to go to grad school, to get academic positions, and otherwise to flourish in a way that's only possible - or at least, most tractable - in this country. America is a service to the world. Just as Switzerland is (or was) the world's cash-repository, so too, the US is the world's aegis of business and technological innovation.

As to whether there is any longer a distinctly Anglophone identity, consider that English is becoming the global language of business, commerce, science and engineering. It's hard to fly an airplane or file a patent without speaking English. French was formerly the language of diplomacy and of Europhile aristocracy. German was formerly the language of the physical sciences. All of that has changed. English is the new and enduring global language.

Thus when I go to a conference in LA or Miami or El Paso, I fully expect the language of the conference to be English, even if many of the locals speak Spanish, and many of the attendees speak French, German, Russian or Italian and so forth. But there is no reason to prefer English to any alternative language, when conversing on the street, when going-about or otherwise mingling socially. Why? Because America has no national language! America merely benefits from being a former British colony. The colonial and imperial success of Britain made English the global language.

And another thing: educated people are fluent in multiple languages. They learn these languages in school, and practice them in adulthood. An educated German or Russian is expected to be fluent in English, and likely also French. Students who benefit from a classical education shoudl also have a passable knowledge of Latin, and a smattering of Greek.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I really wish that more people would realize that LEGAL immigration is such a thriving and foundational influence for American prosperity. Yes, the trades and the various blue-collar/pink-collar vocations have their share of illegals. I don't condone this. But look how many of our tech CEOs, our college professors, our inventors and investors and members of the creative-class, are foreign born, legal immigrants turned Green Card holders and citizens. Too often, the smear of illegal-this and illegal-that, blights and corrupts our discussion of immigration!

Modern America is the place where all of Planet Earth comes to make money, to patent inventions, to start businesses, to go to grad school, to get academic positions, and otherwise to flourish in a way that's only possible - or at least, most tractable - in this country. America is a service to the world. Just as Switzerland is (or was) the world's cash-repository, so too, the US is the world's aegis of business and technological innovation.

As to whether there is any longer a distinctly Anglophone identity, consider that English is becoming the global language of business, commerce, science and engineering. It's hard to fly an airplane or file a patent without speaking English. French was formerly the language of diplomacy and of Europhile aristocracy. German was formerly the language of the physical sciences. All of that has changed. English is the new and enduring global language.

Thus when I go to a conference in LA or Miami or El Paso, I fully expect the language of the conference to be English, even if many of the locals speak Spanish, and many of the attendees speak French, German, Russian or Italian and so forth. But there is no reason to prefer English to any alternative language, when conversing on the street, when going-about or otherwise mingling socially. Why? Because America has no national language! America merely benefits from being a former British colony. The colonial and imperial success of Britain made English the global language.

And another thing: educated people are fluent in multiple languages. They learn these languages in school, and practice them in adulthood. An educated German or Russian is expected to be fluent in English, and likely also French. Students who benefit from a classical education shoudl also have a passable knowledge of Latin, and a smattering of Greek.
Who said anything about an anglophone culture? This is about American culture! If all these people you mentioned come here for opportunity the least they should do is to make an effort to embrace it and assimilate into our society. If not, then we are just a cash cow to them and they are ungrateful immigrants.

English is our national de facto language and it's the one that binds us together. It's one thing to be fluent in another language or even several and there is nothing wrong with that but why the necessity to speak another language out in mainstream America if ones knows English or worst of all refuses to learn it or to speak it. I'm not a fan of the Tower of Babel and anyone who is has a screw loose, IMO.

I couldn't care less what other countries or other people choose to do. Only knowing one language (the language of their own country) is not a sign of a lack of intelligence. It's a sign of being smart enough to learn things that actually benefit you not some foreign language you will never use.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:27 AM

If anyone is guilty of "us vs them" it's the divisional left who cannot accept another point of view other than their own and resort to character assassination for yours. According to them if you don't view the issues the way that they do and you don't vote the way they do you're a terrible person. They are experts at the "us vs them" concept. The whole lot of them make me sick! That's the part of American that pisses me off. There is no civility among Americans anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies