Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 08:23 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most Americans live in the kind of area they want to live. If you can't stand liberalism, then you find a red area to move to. The vast majority of America, at least by land area, is red.

Whether this kind of political division is healthy for a country, I don't know. But that's the bottom line.
Land doesn't vote. People do. I've been in 46 of the 50 States. There is a whole bunch of empty in most of them.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:35 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,187,389 times
I don't get beaten for not covering my hair. I don't get held down at 9 years old and have my private parts literally cut out that causes slow extreme agonizing pain then nothing for the pain and nothing to prevent infection. I don't have to be a slave to every single male and I can go out food shopping without being forced to have a male to be with me and five me permission or to tell me what I may wear.

Sometimes it appears that we are becoming a third world Country, but we still have many more rights and civil rights. But we are slowly being challenged and the threat of rights to choose will be chipped away a little at a time. We still have a lot more to do with respecting all life and preserve our freedom but compared to other Countries we have it so good. Trudeau has shown me it is a matter of time until someone like himor even he himself will challenge America to strip us of what we have. I bet it will be someone so kind everyone falls in Love with him. Look at Biden and Fauci they sound like sweet gentle grandpas, yet they are not. Just a matter of time.

I still Love America that I have been fortunate enough to be born in.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:59 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most Americans live in the kind of area they want to live. If you can't stand liberalism, then you find a red area to move to. ...
There are a few problems. First, liberalism and conservatism aren't monolithic. What happens to an atheistic, child-free person who is pro-choice, but likes guns, hates taxes and detests mask-mandates? Neither Texas nor California would be a good fit.

Second, we tend to locate where we find jobs. I lived in Ohio for 20 years, not because I favored it or had any family or other connections to it, but because that's where the workplace was located. Who is willing to ruin their career, out of consideration for politics or lifestyle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I don't get beaten for not covering my hair. I don't get held down at 9 years old and have my private parts literally cut out that causes slow extreme agonizing pain then nothing for the pain and nothing to prevent infection. I don't have to be a slave to every single male and I can go out food shopping without being forced to have a male to be with me and five me permission or to tell me what I may wear.

Sometimes it appears that we are becoming a third world Country, but we still have many more rights and civil rights. But we are slowly being challenged and the threat of rights to choose will be chipped away a little at a time. ...
Indeed. As time progresses, the First World comes to more resemble the Third, than vice versa. We are as a planet becoming more surveilled, more inhibited and more socially conservative. To your example, 50 years ago, women in the Middle East, at least in the principal cities, wore western-style summer dresses, with their hair braided or loose. Today they're clad head-to-toe in burlap garbage bags. Wine flowed in parties in Damascus, Cairo, even Kabul. Today... not so much.

Today in parts of America, a face-covering is required in public. Think of it as a gender-neutral naqib. And just as with Islamic mandates on modesty, we're told that (1) it's for our own good, (2) it's a civic virtue, and (3) we're ingrates and monsters and boors if we don't cover-up. Instead of a recitation of the sayings of the Prophet, we have emergency-powers triggered by the sayings of public "health" officers. In Los Angeles, we have the hadiths attributed to the venerable Dr. Ferrer, peace be upon her (PBUH).

At least the Quranic verses were elegant and mellifluous. Their implications can be pretty stark, but there’s something grand about appealing to the majesty of Allah. 1400 years later, we’ve traded Allah for the CDC. Different name, different language, same undying faith.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:10 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
There are a few problems. First, liberalism and conservatism aren't monolithic. What happens to an atheistic, child-free person who is pro-choice, but likes guns, hates taxes and detests mask-mandates? Neither Texas nor California would be a good fit.

Second, we tend to locate where we find jobs. I lived in Ohio for 20 years, not because I favored it or had any family or other connections to it, but because that's where the workplace was located. Who is willing to ruin their career, out of consideration for politics or lifestyle?
In most large metro areas, the core city and inner suburbs are the bluest areas. Rainbow flags and BLM signs galore. As you get a little farther out, it gets more purple. People actually feel comfortable displaying blue line flags on their houses and lawns.

Most people who are center right can live with that.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:37 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
I match the bolded description.

You just pick what's more important to you. Personally, taxes and COL are dealbreakers. Do the LGBTQwhatever stuff in moderation and mind your own business and leave me alone. I can live with that.

Quote:
That's true only to the extent that your career or job is geographically constrained.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:11 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:

I don't even "locate". I was born in this region ergo I am stuck here. I have moved many times in my youth when I had to for survival but within the city. Of course in my case it's a lot more complicated than politics. It's about the environment and recreation.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The reality is the US is the best country in the world and I should know as a world traveler and someone married to someone that immigrated from a so-called "best country" to live. Um, they wanted to live in the US. Why? Because it has the BEST opportunity and also you can live in cold, warm medium and an island if you like. The US is the best of the best. Sure the young are spoiled brats, but what do you expect when you live in the best country on earth.

Ah, if people only knew how lucky we are. I have been in countless countries and believe me, we are the best of the best.

Just yield and thank me for posting.
I've lived in Germany, Canada, USA, and now Mexico part-time.

Trust me, I do not consider the USA the best. Does it have good points? Of course it does, but it is myopic to its defects. And its insistent on being myopic to those defects will be its downfall.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:13 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I've lived in Germany, Canada, USA, and now Mexico part-time.

Trust me, I do not consider the USA the best. Does it have good points? Of course it does, but it is myopic to its defects. And its insistent on being myopic to those defects will be its downfall.
So which one do you consider to be the best? And do you live there now?

Old 02-25-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So which one do you consider to be the best? And do you live there now?
It's a mix of Canada and Germany. Both have their strong points from my point of view, as well as their warts. I am a Canadian citizen, so that is where at least half my time is spent, but I am not blind to the faults.

There are other countries I've spent time in (not just vacationing) I could live in. Top of that list is Iceland and Ireland. Ireland I am more familiar with, as the native language is English, whereas Iceland, although most speak English, you miss the nuances of the populace as that is not their working language. As you might suspect, one has to get to know the culture of the country, including the nuances of their legalities, especially if you want to operate your business there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies