Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 01:47 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We are turning into Europe where fewer and fewer are having kids, and many wait until theri later 30's to do so.
I track population demographics, and locations that have seen sudden dramatic increases in housing prices and rental properties generally experience a plunge in birth rates a number of years after. Idaho is going through the same demographic transition now, Boise median house value has passed $450K and increasing with rents going up. Idaho has long been known as a low wage state, but WFH has led to a huge influx of people from other areas that are able to take their incomes from high COL areas to new locations, changing things dramatically- just like many other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 01:49 PM

3,039 posts, read 4,998,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Rent is based on supply and demand.

When more people want to live in an area than units available, rents and market values rise.
That's all there is to it. Rent goes up when demand goes up.

I see they didn't mention how much rent down during the pandemic. I dropped rents 30+% plus free month plus broker fees. No renters whining then.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:49 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It would also help if we weren’t competing with the Chinese for our own building materials. It would help if they didn’t build entire cities and just abandon them, brand new buildings no one ever moved into.
Read this article on the numerous factors impacting lumber prices, as most supply the US gets comes from Canada:

https://www.marketplace.org/2022/01/...ues-in-canada/

Old 02-07-2022, 02:01 PM

5,976 posts, read 2,231,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If you were a landord that was renting to a deadbeat tenant who wasnt paying and was being protected for 1+ years by the gov't due to Covid legislation, you'd feel quite different.

Not that this situation made up most of the rentals, but it would cause an upward spike from a few landlords who are now able to evict, and try to recoupt some of their lost rental income.
I would agree with you if it was local to an area in a city or neighborhood, but what we are seeing is City Wide increases regardless of socio-economic status or who was paying. It's just Landlords following the market trends so I am not demonizing landlords here, I think most (some will not) renting a place out will rent at the high end of what the market dictates they can rent for. I think we agree in that area.

What people don't understand is why such a fast increase in rate and why is it seemingly across the nation. There is data showing these increases started 1-2 years before Covid in many regions including mine, Florida but now it is booming, higher and higher.

The other question is how are people affording the rent? The answers to that question can shed light on how impactful the rate increases have been on those that must pay it. Rent is rising well above wages so what is the impact overall when housing exceeds 50% of income for large swaths of a city?

I also worry about the huge loans being taken out by buyers for homes that have quickly spiked in cost. This looks like 2007 again from the buyer's perspective. If we see a big dip in home values then we might see people bailing out of underwater homes again. It may not disrupt the banking industry but having all those foreclosures and former homeowners now entering the high priced renters market won't help.

Rents actually held up and remained high post-2008 due to the influx of new displaced renters in many areas hit hard by foreclosures, again Florida was one such state.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:18 PM

25,669 posts, read 12,757,040 times
Maybe this is just a way the rich people get back at the 61% of Americans who pay no net federal income tax.

Rich people's revenge for the richest 39% having to carry the poorest 61% on their backs year after year.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:39 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,072 times
Perhaps the future of buying a home will be a young person or young couple going in together with parents and buying a nice home that all of them pay and share expenses for. This is certainly doable with many newer homes being 3,000+ sq ft.

This could of course mean the young couple has no kids or perhaps 1 at most.

The future of renting near a top-25 metro will be single people living with a roommate or two or three.

If you want to buy or rent by yourself you will go 1 hour plus outside of major metros.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:52 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,210,293 times
I transferred out of N. CA 20 years ago to the Portland Metro Area. I rented a one bedroom, 750 sq. ft. apartment for six months while I looked for a house. The rent was $500; the same apartment now rents a minimum of $1,350. House was $200,000; now $600,000 (both went up roughly 3x in 20 years). Property taxes have doubled. Insurance has almost tripled.

After the real estate market softens up a bit (or crashes) it's a good time to commit yourself to homeownership (if I only knew how much work and expense it is). I calculated that you pretty much need to be rich to rent forever; so, I bought.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The governments are to blame for this. They created the virus, allowed it to become a pandemic, reacted poorly to the pandemic, destroyed small businesses, forced price controls and moratoriums on landlords, let BlackRock buy up the market...

The governments are to blame for this. All of it.
Congress approved Real Estate Investment Trusts ( REITS) in 1960 to give all investors, especially small investors the opportunity to buy income producing property.

Look through Blackrock and other similar business models to the beneficial owners, public and private pension plans, insurance companies, mutual funds, etc.

There are two sides to a real estate trade, a buyer and a seller. Some seem to want government to prevent a seller from selling to the highest bidder.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
In northern Nevada real estate and rent is skyrocketing. Luckily I own because I couldn’t afford to rent. Some people’s rent here went up 500/month in one year.
Obviously more than enough people are ready, willing and able to pay the higher rents.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:18 PM

6,960 posts, read 2,693,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That may be a factor, but it also doesn't solve the main issue of 10-15 years of massive underbuilding of houses and apartments after the Great Recession. Zoning modifications of all types at the county and city level to allow for the construction of more smaller sqft houses commonly built in the early to mid 20th century would do wonders for supply and prices.
The value of the home should be 2.5 times the value of the land. Cheap "affordable" homes are a non-starter in any desirable zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies