Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 03:25 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That’s a nice piece of propaganda. Where’d you find it? The Heritage Foundation? The Mises Institute?
Common sense. In a landlord's market, you bet your ass any cost increases in any form are passed on in the form of price increases, to the extent that the market can bear.

Considering homes on my block are routinely selling in less than a week....yeah they're getting passed on to buyers/renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 03:39 PM

2,335 posts, read 814,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Because of a pandemic. Can you name another time? Otherwise we'll just treat this instance as a one-time thing. Mere blip on the radar.
You can treat it anyway you want. You made a comment. I proved it wrong. Simple as that. Not to mention, the renters that took advantage of that received a gold mine for the next decade in all the rent control areas that had this happen. Sorry if that's confusing to you.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:50 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Housing is supply and demand. Bring in millions of illegals who need a place to live and prices go up. Deport the illegals and there will be plenty of cheap housing.
Bingo

Old 02-08-2022, 04:06 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Bingo
How many illegals are moving into your neighborhood?

Old 02-08-2022, 04:23 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That’s a nice piece of propaganda. Where’d you find it? The Heritage Foundation? The Mises Institute?
Will a retired Harvard Business SchoolProfessor suffice? If so, read the 2nd paragraph about embedded taxes being 22% of the cost of EVERYTHING we buy as consumers:

https://books.google.com/books?id=eb...0taxes&f=false

Businesses do not pay taxes in the long run. They pay the tax bill, then immediately increase theri prices by the saame amount as the tax bill divided by the # of widgets they plan to sell over the taxable period.

I am the majority owner of a corporation, & the President/CEO, & that is exactly what I do. Taxes are just a pass through expense to me. I pass them right through to my clients.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:32 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The problem is: they have no home if the inflation takes 40% more if their wages!.

I bit the bullet this year and I am back to living pay check to pay check. Not a stitch of money left over for saving or heaven help if I need any medical done.
Yes 40% eaten up to fatten the LLC. Who I might add, already got it's ' rents' paid back when the courts reopened for filing. They also got a covid grant . To ' improve' to the condo ' safety'. They wasted it on painting the lot lines, buying dirt to create a playground . It's just freaking dirt !

I hate it that these places are using the pandemic as an excuse to upcharge/increase. The sq ft didn't change. The amenities all but went away. The only thing rising in my home is my dander! So fed up with working an honest day, and having to choose between a roof over my head or food on the table. If there was a group that can take this oppression and turn it into movement , I'd be all in. It inspires me to build an entire community where folks can live decently without someone digging in their pockets.
If you actually had the skill set needed to actually help build such a community you wouldn't be living hand to mouth. Go get some skills that's the solution not some pie in the sky pipe dream.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:39 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,669,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
If you actually had the skill set needed to actually help build such a community you wouldn't be living hand to mouth. Go get some skills that's the solution not some pie in the sky pipe dream.

damn, that's some rarified air up there where you're breathing ain't it?..God forbid you loose your job, your health insurance, your mobility and health due to some unforeseen accident not of your making..chit happens..you ain't special..show a little compassion..

Old 02-08-2022, 04:45 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
damn, that's some rarified air up there where you're breathing ain't it?..God forbid you loose your job, your health insurance, your mobility and health due to some unforeseen accident not of your making..chit happens..you ain't special..show a little compassion..
The poster I replied to seems to think it would be somehow easier to build some magical utopia where everything is free and the rivers flow with honey. My advice is sound go to school and improve yourself much easier than building a fantasy land. People never question themselves it's always somebody else's fault or the worlds fault.

I have my own problems with health and life and don't blame my landlord for it. Why? Because I built my own house and don't have a landlord. Getting a basic set of skills so you aren't serving French fries isn't too much to ask of yourself.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:51 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
In Fl is the cash buyers, which are mostly cooperations or hedge funds investors who are helping to jack up this market. I’ve been saying it all along, this is a service state, we provide hospitality and medical services and the workforce can no longer live in the area of their jobs. Apparently now it’s starting to make the news. They want greedy DiSantis to do something, but the higher home taxes, insurance, and increased rental income is making them very happy, and he’s not going to do anything to deter those profits. We are being pushed into a third world country by the greedy wealthy, and something is going to break. As far as the pandemic, in our state, only 2% of the funds to balance the losses have been given out, and what did get payed out, went to the wealthy corps. Lawmakers have sold their souls to the devil.

"If he can't afford or she can't afford to live in the surrounding area, the worker will then break to a new market and try to go further north or wherever it's less expensive," he said.

https://www.wptv.com/money/real-esta...ners?_amp=true
Well, I cannot comment on the entire Florida, but at least for Miami,

A combination of low supply and high demand causes prices to increase. With that in mind:

Miami has very little developable land, due to the Everglades to the west and south and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. (Supply constraint)

Miami has a unique combination of being a tropical metropolis in a first-world country. Due to this combination of desirable traits being unique to Miami, there is a disproportionate demand to live there because there is no where else quite like it. This draws a high number of wealthy buyers and tourists. (demand increase)

Miami has a disproportionate number of immigrants. Geography and geopolitics dictate that Miami is the “first stop” for many immigrants trying to get to the USA from the Caribbean and South America. Some stay, some don’t. But even the ones who don’t stay long term take up housing. (demand increase)

The fact of the matter is, the land economics of any location is a question with a very complex economic, political, legal, social, and urban planning answer.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:58 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,002 times
I guess landlords have to recoup their money after Trump forced them to provide free housing for months on end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies